After four years of flying at least 800 hours a year I am now at a great EMS base and loving life. It really is a good deal but here is the million dollar question. What does everyone do in the down time? I feel as though I am running on the ragged edges of how much further I can push the same old things on the internet and was wondering what all you guys out there do to occupy that brain. This is a big change from constantly flying and maybe my brain just needs to switch over to do nothing mode. Any ideas welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

Yeah, TV and internet can only occupy so much of a day. I have plenty of other things I can do, but I always have trouble committing to a BIG one since I know at any second I could get called out. This is why one shouldn't get into movies you can't pause, any kind of online gambling or investing you can't walk away from, or activities that are going to require you to clean-up [yourself] before putting a flight suit on.

I try to have a TON of different activities that I can mess with a drop in seconds to take a flight.

Things I have at work all the time that keep me occupied a little bit each day:

-High speed wireless internet

-DirecTV in all rooms with all the movie stations

-VCR/DVDs in all rooms

-Large flat screen with surround sound in the main room

-PS/2 with a bunch of games

-Golf clubs

-Lots of magazines

-A project ATC110 Honda three-wheeler in the hangar

-Treadmill and weight set in hangar

-Mountain bike and/or rollerblades

-Big BBQ grill on a covered deck

-Full kitchen

-sometimes a flyrod for practice, woodworking tools, etc.

-and most importantly, a quiet room with black-out shades

I do a lot of cooking during the day. It really brings the crew and or mechanics together. I cook larger, more labor-intensive meals on bad wx days or during the slow months.

Some of the other crewmembers bring in their RC stuff, board games, work on their cars, sew/knit, build computers, run their own businesses, do consulting/investigation/research work, etc.

I do a lot of research online during the day. I research projects or hobbies I'm looking to get into, narrow down what I want to buy, find the best price, and have the wife pick it up or shipped. This saves me a LOT of time driving around on my days off. So when I get off hitch, I have everything I need (including a compliment of instructions, FAQs, etc.) to start whatever home improvement project, performance modification on my DeLorean, or whatever. It makes my days off soooo much more efficient and saves money in the long run.

Pay all your bills while you're at work, compile your tax info at work, catch up on sleep at work, and do anything that you would normally waste time at home with.

Prior to beginning a night shift, I used to force myself to take nap in the afternoon. Then I was to awake to go bad to bed until after midnight, then couldn't fall asleep until after 2. After a week of nights I was all screwed up. I found I just need to sleep when I feel tired.

So, I don't nap before a night shift (unless I flew the night before and I'm tired.) I go to bed before 10 pm and sleep until sunrise if possible. If a few ground standby's or a flight comes in, no big deal, I still get 6 hrs sleep over the night. Catch up the extra 2 hrs the next day. If an "all-nighter" happens, you sleep the whole next day. But if you force yourself to sleep when you're not tired, you won't be able to sleep when you should be. That's where sleep disorders come from.

Just a few ideas.....

Our base is just outside of the city, so we do mostly primary scene responses. Our busiest months are the warmer ones when people are outside doing stupid stuff. Holiday weekends and other big travel seasons are busy. The first day of deer season is usually our busiest day of the year. During winter, everyone seems to hunker-down and too lazy to get hurt.

And, no, I don't get anywhere near that treadmill or weight set.

Those are some great ideas. Wish we were airport based so I could have a hanger to play in. Hell, could even build my own RV-6 with all the spare time. Photo flyer, you definitely need to find the EMS life. That is were everyone else free time that they lose goes.

Those are some great ideas. Wish we were airport based so I could have a hanger to play in. Hell, could even build my own RV-6 with all the spare time. Photo flyer, you definitely need to find the EMS life. That is were everyone else free time that they lose goes.

Im looking forward to the EMS life, but I need a few more hours under my belt before I get there. I guess I'll just have to keep forwarding my free time to the EMS and ENG pilots of the world. :unsure: :(

"Free" time? That's like extra money, right? Never seen any of that denomination.

Keep the books for my wife's business, and handle (poorly) the business stuff she can't do- pesky customers!

Lead (pronounced "led") pilot/ "aviation base manager", aka the whipping boy/paperwork flunky.

GPS update and LZ waypoint database, hard copy and digital, for the program.

And whatever blazing headache idea I have today. Average lifespan of individual episodes of genius: 6 months; percentage adopted- 10%. Directs some energy that I'd otherwise spend complaining. Besides, but it keeps me off that mind-altering American drug: television. Can't run anymore, arthritis.

Edited by Wally

• 3 months later...
Our base is just outside of the city, so we do mostly primary scene responses. Our busiest months are the warmer ones when people are outside doing stupid stuff. Holiday weekends and other big travel seasons are busy. The first day of deer season is usually our busiest day of the year. During winter, everyone seems to hunker-down and too lazy to get hurt.

And, no, I don't get anywhere near that treadmill or weight set.

Delorean,

I just started working as a CFII and am thinking that I eventually want to get into HEMS. Do you have any advice on what my next step should be after I get 1,000-1,500 hours teaching in robinson helicopters? Or any advice as to the best way to get turbine experience?

Slover

• 1 month later...
...I have everything I need (including a compliment of instructions, FAQs, etc.) to start whatever home improvement project, performance modification on my DeLorean, or whatever.

OT: I didn't realize you actually HAVE a delorean....I'm sorry, but that's way too cool for you not to post some photos.