Helicopter Tattoos

To quote Command Sergeant Major Kenneth Merritt, 101st Airborne Division, who jumped into Normandy on D-Day, and was still on active duty with the 101st in 1971, "Just as soon as I get old enough, I'm gonna grow me a mustache and get me a tattoo". That's been my attitude about tattoos ever since.

Maybe I'm dense but I don't get the Yota hijack? :huh: And Gomer, I think you are anti-tat and handlebars? Could be the jet lag, EST never agrees with me.

I'm not a fan of the stache on either gender :lol: but I do have a simple tat in mind, it would be my first and last. I'll post a pic when I finally commit... :P

Dude, I understand what you are saying but most, if not all, tattoo shops use a brand new needle fresh out of the package on every single tattoo these days. Things aren't like they used to be.

Here's my latest, done about a year ago at "Vince Neil's Tattoo Shop" in Vegas. It's on my forearm.

Sorry for the blurry pic. Time for a new camera!

I like that 1. It's simple and not too in your face. This is good, I'm getting a few ideas together now. Just have to find someone to materialize them onto paper now!

i asked this months ago to no avail, but in our industry, do potential employers care if you have ink on your arms or legs? I am curious, as i have 8 tats total, but they are all upper body and not out in the open. I assume most jobs your going to be in some sort of flight suit right, so having something on your say elbow or inner forearm shouldnt be a big deal??? In this day and age, tattoos are very common and not looked down on like in previous generations. Any thoughts?

i asked this months ago to no avail, but in our industry, do potential employers care if you have ink on your arms or legs? I am curious, as i have 8 tats total, but they are all upper body and not out in the open. I assume most jobs your going to be in some sort of flight suit right, so having something on your say elbow or inner forearm shouldnt be a big deal??? In this day and age, tattoos are very common and not looked down on like in previous generations. Any thoughts?

Yeah, they're not as "taboo" now as they used to be. I'd say for a corporate job or tours or the likes you'd have cover up with the full sleeve white shirt rather than wearing the short sleeve. Apart from that I kinda reckon there shouldn't be too many issues. Although I'm probably gonna go for mine on an area not normally visible while wearing short sleeves, If I can eventually figure out what I want ^_^ .

Edited by Darren Hughes

Tattoos probably won't keep you from getting a job by themselves, but it's just one more thing that costs you points. If you really want a job, you need to do everything you can to make a good impression - a professional resume, dress nicely for interviews, cover up tats, have a presentable haircut, and on and on. Given two applicants with identical, or nearly identical, qualifications, it can come down to the little things as to who gets the job. Tattoos, piercings, ear and nose rings, tongue studs, and everything else can be the little thing that gave someone else the job. Maybe it was just who had nicely polished shoes and who didn't. It all shows attention to detail, or the lack thereof. Attention to detail keeps you alive on an approach at 3AM, and is important in every phase of flying, especially helicopters. Employers know that, and are looking for it in prospective employees. Tattoos can indicate that you're a little non-conformist, and that can be a negative with some employers. I don't care, but I'm not doing the hiring. If you're trying to get hired, you need to do everything you can to present yourself positively.

A song comes to mind.

Signs

"The sign say's long haired freaky people need not apply, so I tucked my hair up under my hat and went in to ask him why. He said you look like a fine outstanding young man I think you'll do, so I took off my hat and said imagine that, huh, me working for you."

I guess don't judge the book by it's cover. I know a bunch of CEO's for big companies that have tattoo's, although they never show them while at work, but get them on a golf course and the tat's come out..

I personally have 5 tat's none of which I regret getting. I look at it more as an art and my skin was the canvas.. But didn't realize art work was soooo damn painful.. :) Also tattoos are allot more sanitary now a days if you go to a profressional shop, I would stay away from the start ups..

Cheers