blade separation in flight.

Worldcrime

Found this on a new zealand safety site:

R22 Incident

The following information is posted as an informal and unofficial warning to all R22 operators. It is based on conversations with the Central North Island pilot of the R22 involved in an accident last weekend following a blade separation in flight. The accompanying photos highlight just how serious the event was.

The pilot reported that on starting that morning he noticed a slight vertical bounce not unlike a main rotor blade out of track. He ferried to the job and flew three loads stopping twice to inspect the blade. The flight time from detecting the slight vertical to actual separation was 20 minutes. The total time on the R22 -2 blade was 750 hours.

What is important is that it seems that once any increase in vibration is noticed in the R22 Main Rotor, the helicopter needs to be placed on the ground immediately and not flown until an engineering inspection of the main rotor blades is carried out. The area where the blade section joins the grip that mounts to the head needs careful attention (see the photos). This may require the use of crack detection equipment as in the above incident even the last visual inspection (just minutes before the separation) revealed nothing.

Once a vibration is detected, the use of a strobex and engine driven rotation of the main rotor may be dangerous, as even on the ground operations (should the blade separate) will more than likely result in the destruction of the aircraft.

Finally proceed with care and if in doubt do not fly.

Posted by Richard

http://heli-safety.com

If Frankie does not fix this problem, he will be opening the door for a blade STC from a reputable company. Makes the old wood bladed Bell 47 and Hiller UH-12c/e look good, even though they are slower than Christmas. Don't forget to clik upload after you browse and attach a photo.

I like the B47H like in the pic below, its based off the G models. I think Bell would do well with this model given they modernize it some. It has a 100 mph Vne.

Picture_20978.jpg

87916186_1.jpg

211_CFld.jpg

If Frankie does not fix this problem, he will be opening the door for a blade STC from a reputable company. Makes the old wood bladed Bell 47 and Hiller UH-12c/e look good, even though they are slower than Christmas. Don't forget to clik upload after you browse and attach a photo.

I like the B47H like in the pic below, its based off the G models. I think Bell would do well with this model given they modernize it some. It has a 100 mph Vne.

Mechanic,

That's a good looking bird. I don't know anything about it, though. Is it piston or turbine? I assume piston but that's just an assumption...

What is it's status? How long has it been in production? Is it a viable alternative to the R-22 and Schweiter as a trainer? On the surface it looks like the perfect combination of the R-22, Schweitzer, and of course, the B-47 (although 2-bladed. Does that mean it would also have low main rotor inertia?). How do the costs compare?

Pardon my ignorance,

-V5

Mechanic,

That's a good looking bird. I don't know anything about it, though. Is it piston or turbine? I assume piston but that's just an assumption...

What is it's status? How long has it been in production? Is it a viable alternative to the R-22 and Schweiter as a trainer? On the surface it looks like the perfect combination of the R-22, Schweitzer, and of course, the B-47 (although 2-bladed. Does that mean it would also have low main rotor inertia?). How do the costs compare?

Pardon my ignorance,

-V5

Hey,

Here is some info I have on the B47H-1

The Bell 47H-1 was the deluxe version of the Model 47G having an enclosed sound-proofed cabin with car-size leather seats and leather trim. The baggage of all travelling in the three-seater could be accommodated in a compartment in the monocoque tail boom. The Bell 47H was powered by a 200 hp Franklin 6V4-200-C32 six-cylinder piston engine but it was not a commercial success and only 33 were built.

I think I read somewhere that only 13 are still flying?

Later

Hey,

The Bell 47H-1 was the deluxe version of the Model 47G having an enclosed sound-proofed cabin with car-size leather seats and leather trim. The baggage of all travelling in the three-seater could be accommodated in a compartment in the monocoque tail boom. The Bell 47H was powered by a 200 hp Franklin 6V4-200-C32 six-cylinder piston engine but it was not a commercial success and only 33 were built.

Later

Thanks for the info, Mechanic,

It seems like a shame though! Like I said, that's a good looking bird. What seemed to doom it? Especially with the success and longevity of the original Bell-47's?

-V5

Thanks for the info, Mechanic,

It seems like a shame though! Like I said, that's a good looking bird. What seemed to doom it? Especially with the success and longevity of the original Bell-47's?

-V5

I think Bell doomed it... Just like Hughes dropped the 269 series. I guess when you're building for the military and industry the costs of continuing production on older platforms on a limited basis aren't justified. In the 269's case someone liked the bird enough to buy the type certificate so it's still available. I don't know if the 47 was ever licensed to anyone else in the US, although Kawasaki built them in Japan for a while. Merits of the airframe aside, one thing Robinson did was prove that there really is a general aviation market for light helicopters. Some of the big manufacturers are looking into more of an entry level bird to compete for that market. This is a good thing. Who knows, maybe we'll see an updated 47. :)

I don't know if the 47 was ever licensed to anyone else in the US, although Kawasaki built them in Japan for a while.
Agusta and Westland also built licensed copies in Italy and the UK. Edited by Linc

Hey,

Later

47H and H-1 were circa 1955 and didn't do well, so Bell went back to the 47G and variants (certain later models of the 47G-2 and 47G-3 and the 47G-5 models all came after the 47H) which they continued to produce until 1973. By then, the 206 was taking over the market that Bell cared about, so I don't think it made sense to produce their own competition and the 47 went bye-bye. Bell has contemplated taking the 206B-3 out of the lineup as well, as late as 2003-4, but there is too much competition there for them to rely on 407 or 206L-4 sales. Bell even thought of upgrading the JetRanger again (Bell JRX). Not sure why they didn't, I can only assume there wasn't enough market interest to go there.

Another thought I had was that RHC could reduce the hour life limit on blades used in any commercial use to include flight training from the 2200 hr life. He has already reduced the blades from 12 to 10 years if I read the new AD correct? If he does then that including the yearly 8% price increases will make the 300 and other models viable trainers again.

Just a thought,

Later

Another thought I had was that RHC could reduce the hour life limit on blades used in any commercial use to include flight training from the 2200 hr life. He has already reduced the blades from 12 to 10 years if I read the new AD correct? If he does then that including the yearly 8% price increases will make the 300 and other models viable trainers again.

Just a thought,

Later

I believe the -2 blades are 10 year, the -4 blades are 12 year.

He ferried to the job and flew three loads stopping twice to inspect the blade.

This is something that bothers me too. Did he exceed the weight limits during this or any previous flights?

Bell even thought of upgrading the JetRanger again (Bell JRX). Not sure why they didn't, I can only assume there wasn't enough market interest to go there.

Linc- I heard that Bell got caught up in the FAA rule changes regarding certification of aircraft. When they went from the B206B3 to the Long ranger, they did it under the original certificate, even though they are substantially different aircraft. When they started talking about the JRX, the FAA told them no way, they would have to start from scratch in the certification process...and that just added a lot of time and money to the project.

V5-regarding a 2 blade Bell 47 being a low energy rotor system, forget it. It's one of the easiest birds in an auto and the blade has a tremendous amount of energy stored. It's really a huge blade for the size helicopter, fun to fly, and slow as hell. Oh yeah, it has the best sound signature of any bird out there...except maybe the Daulphin..in other words...it sounds cool coming at you.

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

I just attended the RHC maintenance course and the word is from Pat (the instructor)that the helicopter was operated well over gross weight on a regular basis. At the time was 200-300 lbs over gross weight. That will have a sigificant effect on rotor blade longevity, as well as other components. Fly within limits and you will avoid such bad things.

Unfortunatly that happens a lot down there and also in Oz. That is just asking for trouble. I have seen some videos from down there where they were deer hunting from a R22. No doors, pilot, shooter with rifle and 3 deer carcases slung under the helicopter. Just looking at that made my eyes water, no idea how they could think that is okay. Stay with in limits!

Fly Safe

BEN

Why do they neglect the limits in the down under? I know if they train in a R22 they know the limits etc..

Later

I think its something in the water.

Can you imagine an R22 being 300 pounds over limits? Since the total payload is around 450-475 pounds, adding another 300 pounds is huge. I wont even take an extra quart of oil with me unless its a long XC !!

Would the thing come of the ground 300lb over ??, whats strong enough to tie that weight to on a 22

Yeah, you could tie some weight to the frame of the skids...and the downside of a de-rated engine is you can pull a lot more power than you are supposed to....its just the rest of the aircraft ( trans, rotor, etc) is not designed for that kind of H.P....and thats how a lot of these accidents happen is by overstressing those components...I guess its not unlike some of the long haul trucks that you see in South American countries..they overload them until the wheels fall off !!

Goldy

Like you say till the wheels fall off.

Must have stronger nerves than me, or a real poor imagination.

If I ever think of buying an antipodean helio you can have me locked up for my own safety. :ph34r:

Goldy

Like you say till the wheels fall off.

Must have stronger nerves than me, or a real poor imagination.

If I ever think of buying an antipodean helio you can have me locked up for my own safety. :ph34r:

I dont think I would trust any used R22..unless I was putting on new blades and doing the 2200 hour overhaul, and then flying it !

Antipodean...now there's a Brit term !!

• 1 year later...
Would the thing come of the ground 300lb over ??, whats strong enough to tie that weight to on a 22

I unknowingly flew a Beta II about 100 pounds overweight when I was a student (there was 100 pounds of ballast under the instructors seat) It was about 20C and 600MSL and I could not hover one foot off the ground without pulling over max power. There would not get off the ground without pulling 27 inches.