do you need a highschool diploma to become a commerical pilot

I'm not asking if it's good to have. Just asking if its possible to make good money flying helicopters with no high school diploma. Its a bet I have with a friend. thanks

to get your commercial certificate no you dont need a highschool diploma i know a guy personally that doesnt, but as far as affecting your opportunity getting a job.... beats the hell outta me

I'm not asking if it's good to have. Just asking if its possible to make good money flying helicopters with no high school diploma. Its a bet I have with a friend. thanks

No high school diploma required. BUT- It's a competitive field, and any commercial pilot can fly, so other criteria is used to differentiate between prospects. Academics may not be listed, the lack of a degree isn't unusual, but the lack of any college is a considerable handicap to overcome in comparison to other pilots.

Anybody who tells you that you could "make good money flying helicopters with no high school diploma" isn't telling you the whole truth. I might call Pamela Anderson, tonight, and get lucky- But the real-world odds of that outcome are pretty slim. "No diploma", "flying helicopters (professionally)" and "making good money" have only a slightly better probability of all three occurring together...

Edited by Wally

I don't think you would really need a diploma if you were just going to be a private pilot but I would think that if you wanted to be a commercial helicopter pilot you probably would need a diploma,I mean,I just can't see a company hiring someone without a diploma,atleast I don't think.........but then again you never know.

either way, you or your friend should definately pursue getting your diploma.

As a prospective employee you will be flying aircraft worth hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions. As an employer would you hire someone without a diploma?

Good luck