9 replies to this topic

#1 elpinoman

elpinoman

Student Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 16:25

I'm not asking if it's good to have. Just asking if its possible to make good money flying helicopters with no high school diploma. Its a bet I have with a friend. thanks

#2 franky17

franky17

ATP Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 21:09

I'm not asking if it's good to have. Just asking if its possible to make good money flying helicopters with no high school diploma. Its a bet I have with a friend. thanks

to get your commercial certificate no you dont need a highschool diploma i know a guy personally that doesnt, but as far as affecting your opportunity getting a job.... beats the hell outta me

#3 Wally

Wally

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
  • Interests:Reading's high on the list.
  • Company working for:Air Methods

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:21

No high school diploma required. BUT- It's a competitive field, and any commercial pilot can fly, so other criteria is used to differentiate between prospects. Academics may not be listed, the lack of a degree isn't unusual, but the lack of any college is a considerable handicap to overcome in comparison to other pilots.

Anybody who tells you that you could "make good money flying helicopters with no high school diploma" isn't telling you the whole truth. I might call Pamela Anderson, tonight, and get lucky- But the real-world odds of that outcome are pretty slim. "No diploma", "flying helicopters (professionally)" and "making good money" have only a slightly better probability of all three occurring together...

Edited by Wally, 23 April 2007 - 14:51.

Just a pilot...

#4 Gomer Pylot

Gomer Pylot

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:15

Just like any other job, it may not be required formally, but your chances of getting any job other than flipping burgers or digging ditches without a high school diploma are on the lower end of the scale between slim and none.
Best Regards,

Gomer

#5 FlyNHighNFast

FlyNHighNFast

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Location:Wake County, NC. Flying out of KLHZ in Franklin County, NC

Posted 23 April 2007 - 18:49

The question should be: Without an inheritance or winning the money, can you afford to become a commercial helicopter pilot without a high school diploma?

#6 67november

67november

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 20:51

well of course you can, it takes determination and positive atitude.
spinning wings are better than fixed.

#7 PhotoFlyer

PhotoFlyer

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:33

I've been to several interviews and was never asked about my highschool diploma, or any other degree. I don't even have highschool listed on my resume, it took up extra space and I wanted to get it down to one page.
Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

"Flying the helicopter is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."

#8 wild_blue

wild_blue

ATP Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Military,Aviation,Tennis,and Soccor.

Posted 25 April 2007 - 19:13

I don't think you would really need a diploma if you were just going to be a private pilot but I would think that if you wanted to be a commercial helicopter pilot you probably would need a diploma,I mean,I just can't see a company hiring someone without a diploma,atleast I don't think.........but then again you never know.

#9 james28

james28

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 20:03

either way, you or your friend should definately pursue getting your diploma.
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there aren't any old, bold pilots.

#10 Stroh

Stroh

Student Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Company working for:T.C.M. (Corporate pilot)

Posted 26 April 2007 - 15:09

either way, you or your friend should definately pursue getting your diploma.

As a prospective employee you will be flying aircraft worth hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions. As an employer would you hire someone without a diploma?

Good luck
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

HeliAviationVRGen200JR Aviation General 200PrecisionVRForumGeneral200NFCVRGeneral200BristowGeneral200OdysseyGeneral200ColoradoHeliOpsGeneral200MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200HeliHelmets