What qualities does a 'good' helicopter pilot have?

joker

Guest rookie101

Some advice a pilot gave me:

What sets pilots apart from the rest of the pack, and "might" result in the possibility of a contract when returning for the second or third season, is if you exhibit skills in getting along with others, going above-and-beyond the call of duty with everything you do, and simply being a less aggressive pilot than some of the other idiots you will no doubt come in contact with.

Guest pokey

as i remember from my boy scout days: 'helpful, friendly, curteous, kind, obediant, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, & reverent'

and as horton the elephant ( the one from Dr. Seuss that pitches in to hatch the egg) 'an elephant's faithfull 100 percent'

Guest rookie101

I saved this from one of my visits to the JH Original forum.

FOG- F***ing Old Guy

a. Attitude, and Willingness to learn. Give us FOGs the respect we've earned as survivors, and keep your eyes and ears open. Many of us will do our best to help you along the way.

b. Self-awareness and Humility. There are a lot of dead-guys out here who were much better pilots on the day they died flying a helicopter, than you are right now.

Some were perhaps, better than some of us will ever be. We've all needed some good "luck" now and again. This goes as equally for military as it does for civilians.

c. Focus and Dedication. The day you think flying a helicopter is comparable to driving a truck or operating a piece of heavy equipment, quit flying. You must still love it, to be truly good at it.

d. Be honest and become a "practical psychologist." If you study and learn what "makes people tick," you'll have much better working relationships with your peers and superiors, and you'll have customer support on you're side when you need it.

Arrogance and Dishonesty are without a doubt, the greatest of all professionally deadly sins for any helicopter pilot. (Or any other profession for that matter.)

Now ponder on these things, Grasshopper.

--Shooting Shark

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! New guy here. I am really enjoying this forum. I have started my flight training and I am looking for a financial instutution that finances pilot school?? I have done alot of looking and nobody does it. If anyone could help that would be great. I can only take classes once or twice a month do to cost. I would like to complete my training alot faster.

Thanks

Edited by rookie chopper

• 5 months later...

Besides steely eyes, square jaw...

Fact based, concrete thinker. Rational, analytical, detail oriented. Numerate, literate, and motivated self-starter. Confident but cautious. Physically, good enough shape that a forced landing and 20 mile hike out isn't life threatening.

Besides steely eyes, square jaw...

Fact based, concrete thinker. Rational, analytical, detail oriented. Numerate, literate, and motivated self-starter. Confident but cautious. Physically, good enough shape that a forced landing and 20 mile hike out isn't life threatening.

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?...&ran=116415

Would this guy qualify? :rolleyes:

hmm...having enough brains to be all of the above but not enough to do something more lucrative

P.S.- Wally- they made him shave it off when they took his ticket, he's much too clean shaven to be a pilot AND a drunk.

Edited by HelliBoy