Reserves Vs. AD

I've been putting together my Warrant Officer Packet for the past year. So long story short, I'm exploring the Reserve option as I'm not prior service and therefore the Guard isn't viable, or would at least take me a few years. Can anybody here tell me the difference in lifestyle between the Reserve and the AD with regards to being a Pilot. I have read the basic info. on the Army Reserve web site -- not very informative. I have also read as many threads as I thought would be relevant on this site, Military.com, and JustHelicopters.com, but the answer still alludes me. Can any of you offer some insight if you don't mind? I live in California. As I understand it, if there was a Unit in Ca that needed pilots I could stay stationed in this state, yes?

Edited by Rookie02

I've been putting together my Warrant Officer Packet for the past year. Now that it's completed, back home six -- the fiancé -- has told me that she does not want me to go AD. So, I'm exploring the Reserve option as I'm not prior service and therefore the Guard isn't viable, or would at least take me a few years. Can anybody here tell me the difference in lifestyle between the Reserve and the AD with regards to being a Pilot. I have read the basic info. on the Army Reserve web site -- not very informative. I have also read as many threads as I thought would be relevant on this site, Military.com, and JustHelicopters.com, but the answer still alludes me. Can any of you offer some insight if you don't mind? I live in California. As I understand it, if there was a Unit in Ca that needed pilots I could stay stationed in this state, yes?

I thought in the prior thread you said you were accpeted & refused:

"...That day I decided they were right and of course that's they day the ARMY called and told me I was accepted, which I then politely refused."

Would they take you again, after you said no? Are you going to get license outside of military & then do reserves?

How about coast guard, as someone else suggested?

I can answer as per the "lifestyle" but not as a pilot...

The reserve lifestyle is 28 days civilian and 2 days a month (and 2 weeks a year) military. I know you are thinking...duh!!! :rolleyes:

Sounds obvious right?? That's exactly my point. I was Marine Reserve for 5yrs. and activated for the first Gulf War.

Whatever your lifestyle is now as a civilian, that will remain the same throughout most of the month and year. However you will have much more confidence, experience and training under your belt and a bunch of new friends (if you so choose). Basic training will be the same as AD and so will your MOS training unless something has changed in the last 12 to 15 years (possible). Again I don't know the flight aspect...

Please NOTE...You are completely deployable!! (If that's your fiance's concern...make sure this is clear to her). If you are deployed you will be activated and prepared for whatever mission you will be on (hopefully). Lot's of hurry-up and wait...basically. The military is a great experience...just know what you are doing before you do it. Also...get EVERYTHING in writing during recruitment...promises are only good if they are written on your contract.

It's a great way to serve your country and your family.

Good luck...

I've been putting together my Warrant Officer Packet for the past year. Now that it's completed, back home six -- the fiancé -- has told me that she does not want me to go AD. So, I'm exploring the Reserve option as I'm not prior service and therefore the Guard isn't viable, or would at least take me a few years. Can anybody here tell me the difference in lifestyle between the Reserve and the AD with regards to being a Pilot. I have read the basic info. on the Army Reserve web site -- not very informative. I have also read as many threads as I thought would be relevant on this site, Military.com, and JustHelicopters.com, but the answer still alludes me. Can any of you offer some insight if you don't mind? I live in California. As I understand it, if there was a Unit in Ca that needed pilots I could stay stationed in this state, yes?

Reserve and Guard differ in that Guard answers to the state until activated by the federal government. The Reserve is federal only. The Reserve is also at the bottom of the food chain for equipment & dollars which may limit how many slots are open in whatever you want do do (a factor in the Guard as well.) Plan on getting deployed two years out of five in either case, plus you would have active duty requirements for basic and MOS training.

Based on this - and your comment in the other thread I suggest you sit down and really think about what you want to do and why. What are your and your fiancee's concerns? If she has a problem with travel and being away from home you've got bigger problems than whether to go Army or not - travel seems to be a pretty integral part of helicopter work. It may be uncomfortable working it out, but believe me, it will save a lot of grief later. Good luck.

I thought in the prior thread you said you were accepted & refused:

"...That day I decided they were right and of course that's they day the ARMY called and told me I was accepted, which I then politely refused."

Would they take you again, after you said no? Are you going to get license outside of military & then do reserves?

How about coast guard, as someone else suggested?

That's a damn good question. I know for the Guard it is not a problem, but I didn't even think about that with regards to the Reserve. The Recruiter called me two weeks ago and told me to expect to go to Basic in 6 weeks to 2 months and WOCS shortly thereafter and I would be signing my contract at some point before Basic and he would tell me when. At that point I told him I didn't think I was going to do it or at the very least I was thinking about maybe getting either a quick semester of school in, or getting my PPL in the next couple of months, or maybe the Guard. He then, of course, tried up and down to talk me out of any of those decisions, and I then said I would call him back in the next couple of weeks when I had it "figured out." I don't know if now I have made myself unable to go into the Reserves because of that conversation or my actions. Now that you brought that up I will have to call and ask. I said I "politely refused" because I didn't feel like explaining all that out. I've got three different forums I'm posting these type of questions on; two civilian, and one military, and with all the phone calls I've been making about this stuff and work, I sometimes leave out details because it's quicker, plus I know I have to figure this out quickly. As far as the Guard goes, that's a completely different entity. I was on the phone all day with CWs in the CA State Guard, and they didn't care about my AD decision. They care more that I am not prior service, but luckily some of the Military.com people I correspond with have been helping me, and I may be able to get around my Guard obstacles

Not sure if you wanted anymore information. I'm a pilot in the National Guard and the comment about the guard being at the bottom of the food chain isn't entirely accurate. I worked in the Flight Facility as a budget analyst and we (as a state aviation assest) received all funding required. The Army as a whole is incorporating the reserve component (both Guard and Reserve) in a much bigger role than ever before. With that being said, funding is also being provided to allow guard units to perform tours on active duty. The kicker, you can guarantee that you will be deployed for at least a year in every five year period. The National Guard has about half of the aviation assests in the Army so we are extremely busy. Our unit is currently short of warrant officer pilots. You would have to enlist and then apply for a warrent position. However, you can determine your duration of initial enlistment and my experience is that if you want it bad enough, you will be afforded the opportunity (assuming that you pass the flight physical and AFAST test, (should be no problem)). You definitely need to talk to your other half about deployments. The training is great and the best part is Uncle Sam picks up the tab. Good luck. As a side note: National Guard and Army Reserve units recieve funding differently so my comments about funding is directed towards the National Guard. Good luck.

I thought you had to be prior enlisted to be accepted to be a Guard pilot, am I wrong?? I'm a guard guy going through flight school right meow, and I love it. LOVE IT. From the start I knew what helo I was gettin' and where I was going, takes alot of stress of flight school. Just my 2 cents

CHAD

Hey Chad,

I'm jealous man. How's life at Mother Rucker? The most readily accessible regulations say that you do, but I've found through research and talking to other pilots that they are not etched in stone; you just have to know where to look. What's your bird, the 60? You're heading into the second week of primary right? I talked to another pilot down there yesterday, and he echoed your remarks; said he is having the time of his life.

Rook, I actually fly the Beast... I'm in the CH-47D course, and love the hell out of it, we have a blast everyday. I know that you don't need to be enlisted to apply in the AD or Reserves, but you do in the Guard. If you have found a loophole, I would love to hear about it, but I haven't heard that one before.

This picture was from yesterday... my Chinook family day. Go Hooks.

Chinook068.jpg

CHAD