Help with your ARMY WOFT Flight Packet/Prior Service Folks

Hello all,

I have about 9 months to go before going to flight school and was selected back in Nov of 06 to become a Warrant Officer Candidate. I spent 13.5 years in the Marine Corps Reserve as an Aircraft Rescue Firefighter before I made the switch to the Army Nat'l Guard to learn to fly. If you are thinking about switcing services to the Guard, joining the Army National Guard, or need help with your WOFT packet, feel free to PM me and I will be glad to help you out! I am also a Recruiting Assistant for the Guard, so if you are interested in joining for other reasons outside of flying (i.e. A&P training, college tuition *Yes the Guard can pay for flight school* a job, etc) let me know!

Lastly, If you know anyone who might be interested in joining send them my way too!

See ya in the skies!

Blake

Good stuff Blake, welcome to it!

CHAD

Thanks FL...so what do you do in "the real world"?

I know it's a sin to post this on the VR website, but I am probably going to finish up my fixed wing training and try for an airline. I just graduated from college right before I came up here (Rucker), so I really don't have anything going just yet. What do you do?

CHAD

I am a firefighter for the Department of Homeland Security. I am going for my fixed wing before I go to Rucker...that way when I am out, and finished I can concentrate on getting a job flying with the Feds. usually it is better to have both..so I will work towards that...although i may take the route you are, and go towards an airline. You are in Rucker now?

• 3 weeks later...

Blake,

I was actually just reading through some posts to get prepared for what my flight physical was going to consist of (its coming this next week (Sept 10th-11th).

Little bit on my background.

I'm 32, turning 33 in November. I'm a rated Helicopter Pilot in a 300c. I'm 10years active duty Air Force, and 1 yr. Air Force reserves (ART). I did 6 years as a DOD Fire Fighter and now a IMDS Database manager. I'm sick of the desk job and that is why I started flying. I STOPPED flying because I felt as though I was just dumping money into a school who kept saying they were going to get their 141. It never happend.

I took took the AFAST just over a week ago and got 140 on it (as stated, i'm a rated pilot). I got a score of 115 (i think) with the Army's conversion with my ASVAB. All of my LOR's are completed (Even two Commanders). All in all, my package is nearly done.

Now for the questions.

I'm a little concerned when I read that "ARMYAV8R / Blake" was getting the royal military treatment for a year and a half. Getting to burn enlistment just to get into flight training. Can anybody tell me how often they start classes for the school? What does a WOFT do while waiting for school? What should I expect for my flight physical? I had a class 2 FAA physical before, but the military rarely does anything that resembles "making sense". When does one get their assignment (Base wise) and airframe assignment? Is there anything one can do to FOCUS on an airframe? I for instance, would like to get the UH60. OH! And is all training done as an E5? My recruiter said they can put in for me to get to keep my E6 pay. Does that sound right?

Well for now, I suppose that is it. I know I'll come up with more as our discussions progress.

Thanks for any and all replies.

TSgt. Perez

"~Perez"

Blake,

I was actually just reading through some posts to get prepared for what my flight physical was going to consist of (its coming this next week (Sept 10th-11th).

Little bit on my background.

I'm 32, turning 33 in November. I'm a rated Helicopter Pilot in a 300c. I'm 10years active duty Air Force, and 1 yr. Air Force reserves (ART). I did 6 years as a DOD Fire Fighter and now a IMDS Database manager. I'm sick of the desk job and that is why I started flying. I STOPPED flying because I felt as though I was just dumping money into a school who kept saying they were going to get their 141. It never happend.

I took took the AFAST just over a week ago and got 140 on it (as stated, i'm a rated pilot). I got a score of 115 (i think) with the Army's conversion with my ASVAB. All of my LOR's are completed (Even two Commanders). All in all, my package is nearly done.

Now for the questions.

I'm a little concerned when I read that "ARMYAV8R / Blake" was getting the royal military treatment for a year and a half. Getting to burn enlistment just to get into flight training. Can anybody tell me how often they start classes for the school? What does a WOFT do while waiting for school? What should I expect for my flight physical? I had a class 2 FAA physical before, but the military rarely does anything that resembles "making sense". When does one get their assignment (Base wise) and airframe assignment? Is there anything one can do to FOCUS on an airframe? I for instance, would like to get the UH60. OH! And is all training done as an E5? My recruiter said they can put in for me to get to keep my E6 pay. Does that sound right?

Well for now, I suppose that is it. I know I'll come up with more as our discussions progress.

Thanks for any and all replies.

TSgt. Perez

"~Perez"

Hah! I feel your pain with the desk job. I"m the IMDS database manager for the Utah Air National Guard right now. I ship out October 9th and cant wait to get some hands on work!

I have no idea on the actual start dates for flight school but the dates for WOC are posted on their website. Guy I know was working a little bit while waiting on school, setting hooks for hawks mostly.

The flight physical wasn't that much really. They go over your eyes in a bit more detail, will take some arm and height measurements to make sure you fit in a cockpit, not a big deal unless your massive. They do an EKG, not sure what they are looking for there, check your ears again, dental this time, again not really sure exactly what they are looking for.

I know airframe assignments are mostly needs of the army, each class will be told X amount of people need to fly X airframe, they take the top score in the class and give that guy his choice, then next and so on. No clue on base after that, sure you can request one, wich will probably be promptly ignored.

Your initial Warrant training will be paid at an E-5 or greatest rank held. When you transfer over to the army, if your E-6 status sticks, and it probably will, you'll be paid accordingly. Once you graduate WOC though your paid as a W1 with how ever many years in service.

I'm no recruiter or anything but I'm in the office all week if you just want to BS. DSN is 245-2545, SSgt Hodge.

Edited by Mymm