How do you guys do it? and is it worth it?

I never said, or meant to imply, that it's a bad schedule, just that it's not quite the same as working a regular day job half the time. There are jobs which require more work, and more hours, and jobs which require less. I like a 7/7 schedule, because 14 days is too long to be away from home, and also 14 days is too long to be at home. A week at a time is just about right. Some people like 14/14, some like being home every night, 5/2. It is what it is, take it or leave it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said, or meant to imply, that it's a bad schedule, just that it's not quite the same as working a regular day job half the time. There are jobs which require more work, and more hours, and jobs which require less. I like a 7/7 schedule, because 14 days is too long to be away from home, and also 14 days is too long to be at home. A week at a time is just about right. Some people like 14/14, some like being home every night, 5/2. It is what it is, take it or leave it.

I can see what your saying. 14 days would be a long time to just be at home. For folks like yourself and others with families its a very extreme lifestyle. For 14 days your there all the time, then next thing you know your completely gone for 2 weeks. Very disruptive for everyones schedule. I can imagine if you have a couple of kids who are 10 or older where the "rules" may be different when Dad is home but when Dad is gone the rules go back to Mom's way so their always left woundering whats right and wrong. In that I mean the parents would have to work extra hard to keep things consistent for the kids. Wow. I haven't look at it form that prospective.

I know that when got my 5-7 days off from trucking, near the end of my time off I was always excited to hit the road again.

Now since I don't have a family (I'm 33) and don't really have any desire to have one or be married for that matter, the time off will work good for me. I love to travel but my biggest concern now is when off for 2 weeks I have to be careful and not blow my paycheck then come back to work broke. But, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I can always go back to Md and work for my buddy who has his own business and can always use extra help. I could literally have 2 different lives. How cool is that :lol:

Gomer,

Now that your here I would like to ask you some questions if I may. Its no secret that some of us here think that at times you come off as a little negative. So I think to myself...is this guy really that negative or does he just kinda seem like that. Maybe you sound negative but in fact really not that negative. I have a good friend that is like you. Always sounds negative but in fact he pretty fun to be around. So here are my questions.

What are your hobbies?

When was the last time you went and did something and came home thinking to yourself that you had a Damn good time?

When going home after your week of work, are you excited and really look forward to getting home?

Last time you had a really good laugh...like eyes watering and trying to catch your breath. Truth be told its been a while for me on this one. I miss those. Cause I'm not around my friends.

Certainly you don't have to answer these but I hope you want to. Sharing is caring :lol: Anyway, catcha later.

Matt

Pretty personal questions, but oh well...

I play music - mostly jazz and western swing, guitar and electric mandolin/mandola. I'm on the computer a lot. I geocache.

I had a pretty good time playing with friends at a nursing home. The residents really, really enjoy it, and we don't have to be perfect. They beg us to come back no matter how much we screw up.

I always look forward to going home. I don't remember any time I didn't. I usually look forward to getting back to work, too, but the week at work is always longer than the week at home.

I laugh a lot, at work and at home.

There are dozens, or more, people on here who always imply that flying helicopters is always fun and games, heroic, wonderful stuff. It's not. Nothing is. There are good times and bad times, and I feel it's important that someone, now and then, points out the negative aspects that everyone will run into eventually, guaranteed. Any yesman can give you only the good news; someone has to give you the bad as well, and there is always something bad about anything. If you think I'm negative, so be it. I don't care, and I won't lose any sleep over it. I would be much more likely to lose sleep over talking someone into throwing away his life savings doing something he will soon regret. The truth is, this isn't a highly compensated vocation, it takes a huge investment just to get started, and probably 90% of those who start will never, ever recoup the money they spent, nevermind make a living at it. Those are the facts. In another thread, a SSH instructor admitted that they graduate only 10-20% of those who enroll. Out of those, I doubt half ever actually make a living flying. It's a hard row to hoe, in a small field, and that needs to be made known.

Hey Gomer,

Thanks for answering the questions as personal as they were. It sheds a new life on you that others may not have seen. I have no musical talent at all...but I can see in other that it can be a great hobby.

Ok, I'm figuring you out a little and I'm beginning to see where your coming from which for me is good, and believe it not I'm thankful that you do have things you enjoy and can make you laugh.

I can imagine a thousand things that will be annoying flying Helicopters but the most important thing is to wake up in the morning and still want to fly...or whatever job I'm in I want to be that way. I want to end the day knowing that I did my best to my ability although lets face it, I won't be at 110% every single day but I need to know the difference. Blah blah blah

Anyway, I appreciate your reply.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
Helitorque and vertical magazine are other sites, however I believe one of them is based in canada or the uk, i forget. I believe I also saw another website with strictly aviation jobs on it, but I dont remember what that was.

Off hand I can't remember the URL, but do a search for "Just Helicopter" and you will find a sight that has many listings...

Hey GP, slight hi-jack here,

I have read in not just yours but others posts the fact that the ships that are flown in the GOM are pretty "industrial" in nature and not so comfy/nice oriented, but do the companies at least make sure that all the ships that are being used have air conditioners that work and if one quits, do they ground, per say, that bird to get it fixed, since the humidity is so oppressive down in the gulf? I know from experience that one can get somewhat acclimated, but I would think it would really contribute to pilot fatigue and affect safety of that pilot if forced to fly all day in an oven-like helo especially since I can only assume one can not drink a whole lot of water throughout the day so as to keep going rather than having to KEEP GOING every platform you get too! LOL

There are very few helicopters in the GOM that have air conditioners, and they certainly aren't grounded for that. There are a few BO105s, some S76C++s, probably the S92s, but not much else. None of the small ships have AC, and none of the 412s, that I know of. The only ac is getting high enough to find cool air, if possible. There weren't even heaters in them until not that long ago, and the coldest I've ever been in my life was in a 206 in the GOM in the winter. Air leaks everywhere, no way to exercise to get warmer, just hours of sitting and freezing. Pilot comfort isn't even in the equation.

Edited by Gomer Pylot

There are very few helicopters in the GOM that have air conditioners, and they certainly aren't grounded for that. There are a few BO105s, some S76C++s, probably the S92s, but not much else. None of the small ships have AC, and none of the 412s, that I know of. The only ac is getting high enough to find cool air, if possible. There weren't even heaters in them until not that long ago, and the coldest I've ever been in my life was in a 206 in the GOM in the winter. Air leaks everywhere, no way to exercise to get warmer, just hours of sitting and freezing. Pilot comfort isn't even in the equation.

Well....... that sucks........ and like others have said, part of the reason for all the things we all don't like about this industry is because we will put up with it. It sure seems to me though that it would not be safe to expect a pilot to sit in a sauna all day long.

Does one get enough "breaks" to pee at least once an hour? I know I am gonna have to taper back my water consumption, but even as a truck driver I could pull over and pee. I drink about 1.5 gallons of water a day, I know that much will prolly not be feasible, but what is a typical day like in the GOM as far as using the head, eating lunch, that kind of stuff?

There is no typical day. Every job is different. I wouldn't expect to be able to pee every hour, because some flights are much longer than that. You'll have to see how the job you have at the time works.

My advice would be to drink when you're thirsty, and not drink a lot of water just to be drinking it. That leads to kidney stones, which can ground you for extended periods, not to mention being excruciatingly painful.

Edited by Gomer Pylot

• 2 weeks later...

Andy,

I was in a similar position 7 years ago when I joined the Army EXCEPT I didn't have a family to worry about. That's a lot more to consider. The Army is option that will do a few things for you and NOT do a few things for you. At six years of flying I'm only just breaking 2000TT. The NG has the same annual minimums (correct me if I'm wrong NG guys) as active duty so you're likely to do just what was said- learn to fly, keep your job, and continue flying on the side. I have had the opportunity to do some things that I will always remember and probably never do again in the civilian world but in the end it comes down to quality of life. I've spent about three of past 6 years gone and 2 of the 3 away from my wife. As far as the deployments go the NG and reserve (again NG guys correct me if I'm wrong) now spend no longer than 1 year away, to include mobilization and deployment. The bottom line is that I've gotten great training and experience, my Commercial Instrument rating for the price of the exam, and a lot of good memories- but everything comes with a price. Take it with a grain of salt but I'm ready to 'survive.'

Good luck

Heres a quetion for the military guys??? Say you went through civilian commercail training. Does anyone know if the Military would put you in as a pilot if there were no extensive college background?

For the WOFT (Warrant Officer Flight Training) there are no requirements for a college degree. You need only score well on the ASVAB (Army entrance exam), the AFAST (aviation aptitude test- I had no prior aviation knowledge and felt it was very easy), find a recruiter willing to devote the time, and most of all pass the flight physical. Most of our pilots (Warrant Officers) had no prior college. One of our pilots joined up after getting his private/commercial/instrument ratings and really all it did is make flight school a bit more manageable. I'm not sure if it had any bearing on his board results for selection. You also will have the option of paying a small fee after flight school to get your Commercial Instrument Rating. Hope this helps.