Denied WOFT!!!!

Anonymous???

I first of all want to thank the members on this site for posting info on the WOFT process, it has helped me tremedously. My problem is, I just recently went through the WOFT process, and got DENIED by the board. I passed my physicals, got a 129 on the AFAST, and a GT of 121 on ASVAB, completed a helicopter ground school class of 80hrs, and also have 34 units of college. I also have about 18 hrs in a fixed wing, but that stopped when my uncle sold his plane.

I cant go right in through the army so maybe getting my degree would be a better way to go. I just dont know if you can get Flight garaunteed when signing up with other services.

I know many ex army/navy pilots go over to the Coast Guard, does that have a drastic impact on pilot slots avalible.

So now my question is, how much would my chances increase of becoming a pilot if I was to enlist and then try to become a pilot later on, in either AF, ARMY, CG or NG.

Thanks. Much Appreciated.

I'm not going to be helpful here but I can relate!!! I went through the whole process in Idaho. I took beginning flight classes and even got my electronics degree so that I would be eligible with 60+ credits they told me I was required to get. Of course there was all of the running(not that it hurt) that I did everyday. I jumped through all of the hoops and what did I hear?

Candidate...NON-select

Yes I was eligible to re-apply but I now had a degree and was able to find a job allowing me to pay for school so I moved out of state to work for the corporation who recruited me. Just for the record everyone I talked to who had heard of or gone through the WOFT program had applied 5-7 years straight. You can be persistent with no gurantee or you can go it alone privately. Once you get in they say it's a 6 yr commitment but that's after boot, OCS and flight training so it will be ~7 years. Add 5 min. to that and your looking at getting out of the service 12 years from now at the earliest. Are you up for that?

I chose the non-military route and have my private license now. I have recently moved across the country to persue my dream in an area I felt was better for this type of career. I used to drive 3 hours each way to school but now I drive 15 minutes. This isn't the fastest or cheapest way but it IS a way. Eventually I will get there. I'm working on my commercial now.

GOOD LUCK

Well, I guess the first thing I would look at would be, why did you get denied? Was it a security clearance issue or was it something else. If it was a security clearance issue, I wouldn't jump into the military. If you can't get a clearance for one reason or the other, you are going to get stopped dead in your tracks in your flight carreer for the military and would have spent that time doing whatever job you picked (MOS). Check it out first. If it was something like credit that got you denied, fix it or fix while you go enlisted and will probably be able to get a clearance by the time you put in your WOFT packet again. As far as easier to get in, from everyone I have talked to they say the process is better for those who have enlisted rather than those off of the street. However, I am enlisted now and opted out of going the military route for flight school. I would rather pay a large sum than be in the military for years to come. I can only get blown up so many times.

Just my 2 cents. If you do go the enlisted route. Get ahold of me and I can tell you some things to expect. I am in Iraq now for over a year, so if you have questions either way. Let me know

Later and Good Luck,

Kirk

Most people in Iraq are trying to avoid bombs not play with them. You EOD guys are crazy. Stay safe!

Yeah, but someone does have to play with them eventually. It just as well be me! :D

Besides, I've blown up houses, cars, roads, checked dead people for booby traps. Were else can you get that sort of excitement? :blink:

Well, I guess the first thing I would look at would be, why did you get denied? Was it a security clearance issue or was it something else. If it was a security clearance issue, I wouldn't jump into the military. If you can't get a clearance for one reason or the other, you are going to get stopped dead in your tracks in your flight carreer for the military and would have spent that time doing whatever job you picked (MOS). Check it out first. If it was something like credit that got you denied, fix it or fix while you go enlisted and will probably be able to get a clearance by the time you put in your WOFT packet again. As far as easier to get in, from everyone I have talked to they say the process is better for those who have enlisted rather than those off of the street. However, I am enlisted now and opted out of going the military route for flight school. I would rather pay a large sum than be in the military for years to come. I can only get blown up so many times.

Just my 2 cents. If you do go the enlisted route. Get ahold of me and I can tell you some things to expect. I am in Iraq now for over a year, so if you have questions either way. Let me know

Later and Good Luck,

Kirk

Kirk,

Perhaps you could give me a little advice. I looked into WOFT a couple of years ago but was too old to get an age waiver. Chances are I wouldn't get one now (I'm 40) either. However, I am now beginning to look into the Army NG as a Warrant Officer in a field other than as an aviator. Is there any insider info you can give me?

Jeff

Kirk,

Perhaps you could give me a little advice. I looked into WOFT a couple of years ago but was too old to get an age waiver. Chances are I wouldn't get one now (I'm 40) either. However, I am now beginning to look into the Army NG as a Warrant Officer in a field other than as an aviator. Is there any insider info you can give me?

Jeff

Well as far as advice, go to http://usawocc.army.mil/ to check out everything for WO positions, recruitment and all that other fun stuff.

As far as WO position's are concerned, I don't have a lot of info. for them. I haven't had the opportunity to work with a lot of them. If you want to know the "boots on the ground" aspect and daily life, PM me with your email and I will get ahold of you. Sorry I can't help you out much more than that. If you do have anyother questions, please ask!

Thanks

Kirk

Yeah, but someone does have to play with them eventually. It just as well be me! :D

Besides, I've blown up houses, cars, roads, checked dead people for booby traps. Were else can you get that sort of excitement? :blink:

Well,I was gonna ask you where you got the screen name but I guess now that isn't necessary lol.

Stay safe!