Chances for Street to Seat?

Hey guys,

I know the most military pilots are prior service guys, but can anybody give me an honest opinion on my chances as a civilian applying for WOFT. I'm 27, 2 years of college with a 3.0 GPA, 93 ASVAB, 126 AFAST. My stepfather growing up owned several airplanes so I have experience in flying, however we never kept a logbook so while I was practically raised in a hanger, I have no verifiable hours. Two of my LORs are from military pilots, an Army Capt. and a Air Force Colonel who is also a C-5 pilot.

Should I get my PPL? Would that help my chances? Am I even competitive as is? Either way I'm going to keep applying every month in the hopes they pick me up.

Thanks guys, I'm sure I've asked you a good amount of questions thus far. I hope you don't mind one more. :)

Jereme

Edited by Rookie02

Hey guys,

I know the most military pilots are prior service guys, but can anybody give me an honest opinion on my chances as a civilian applying for WOFT. I'm 27, 2 years of college with a 3.0 GPA, 93 ASVAB, 126 AFAST. My stepfather growing up owned several airplanes so I have experience in flying, however we never kept a logbook so while I was practically raised in a hanger, I have no verifiable hours. Two of my LORs are from military pilots, an Army Capt. and a Air Force Colonel who is also a C-5 pilot.

Should I get my PPL? Would that help my chances? Am I even competitive as is? Either way I'm going to keep applying every month in the hopes they pick me up.

Thanks guys, I'm sure I've asked you a good amount of questions thus far. I hope you don't mind one more. :)

Jereme

Jereme,

Speaking from hearsay, a PPL would definitely give you a competitive advantage. There are other posts that deal with your question. I don't think it will be easy for you, but persist in your efforts. Don't give up! Good luck.

~Jeff

Jereme,

Alot of the "street to seat" guys that i know that are here right meow have all sorts of different backgrounds. Certainly wouldn't hurt to have your PPL, if you have the money to do it, if not... I would say you would still have a chance. Apply. Apply. Apply. The worst that would happen is that they might say that you don't have the experience that desire, which i doubt. Either way, if you don't apply, you already know the answer. Not even mentioning that really can't fly the beautiful CH-47D without going to Army Flight School. I don't know about you, but just that startement is one hell of an argument.

CHAD