Aviation Job in law enforcement/Border Patrol?

GONZO

Hi,

I was a police officer in germany for 4 years, currently I´m a helicopter pilot in the german army with 1000 hours flight time.

Is it possible to get a job in the US as a law enforcement officer or at the border patrol for non US citizens???

Anyone here who can help? :unsure:

Hi,

I was a police officer in germany for 4 years, currently I´m a helicopter pilot in the german army with 1000 hours flight time.

Is it possible to get a job in the US as a law enforcement officer or at the border patrol for non US citizens???

Anyone here who can help? :unsure:

I believe most agencies require you be a US citizen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’m from the UK and I’ve been living and working in Texas for 14 years. As per the last poster, having marketable/transferable skills is a good start but you’re going to need a lot more than that.

The US immigration system is extremely complex, so the information provided here is for general consumption. I’m not an immigration attorney.

The following is the employment/Green Card route that most folks take to achieve citizenship :

First you must find an employer who is willing to sponsor you by offering you employment within the US. The employer will need to prove to the INS that they are unable to find an American capable of filling the position they are offering you.

Once you have that sponsorship you need to apply for a US work visa either an L1 or H1B. The H1B is the better choice because it lasts 3 years with an option to renew for another 3 years. The US government is currently only offering 75,000 H1B’s a year (sound like a lot but they are usually all taken within a few months).

Once you have you H1B you can move to the US and begin work. While working in the US you need to apply for your Green Card – the process can be time consuming and expensive. You will need an immigration attorney. Hopefully your employer will help you out with the cost. (It took me five years and cost $15,000). There are background checks, fingerprinting and a ton of paperwork.

Once you have your Green Card you then have to wait 5 years before applying for citizenship. You will need to pass a written test covering US history and basic English.

Note: You may have to surrender your native passport – be aware of what that means – if you return to your native country (even for a visit) you may be subject to the same immigration laws that apply to any other visitor. If you’re lucky you can get dual citizenship.

Take a look at the US Immigration web site for more info http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/index.html

Bottom line: It’s a complex process so hire an immigration attorney and be patient. It’s difficult but not impossible. Good Luck.