Putting in a WOFT packet

Anyone have any ideas on if I would have a chance at getting picked up for a WOFT spot?

Junior at the Univ. of Mississippi in AFROTC

Private fixed-wing pilot

20 years old, will be 21 for the board

Very active in sports and church

Don't remember my asvab score, it was well over qualifying though

Have not taken the pilot aptitude test, however I am taking the Air Force version this coming Friday

And I can get some pretty nice LOR's as my dad was an AF colonel fixed-wing and helo pilot.

It seems like no matter how many recruiters I talk to, none of them know anything about the WOFT program. Any help would be nice, thanks. And do WO helo pilots wear flight suits or BDU's? ...or I guess the army calls them ACU's?

Olemiss,

Welcome to the boards. I've heard that the "street-to-seat" program is getting quite competitive lately. Finishing your degree would certainly help. While it's hard to give a good answer just looking at plain stats, it sounds like you have a good start. At the heart, the "what are my chances" questions really boil down to, "am I wasting my time, or is it worth trying?" If you really want to fly helicopters for the Army, it's worth trying. Because of a few things--my age being the main one--looking strictly at my stats, a lot of people would say to forget it--I almost told that to myself. But I figured if I had any chance greater than 0%, it was worth trying. So I joined the National Guard and am running with full force. If it doesn't work out, at least I gave it my all. And if it does, then I'll fulfill a lifelong dream. I had to try. Again, if this is what you really want to do, then it's worth trying.

As for recruiters, most of them couldn't effectively put together a WOFT packet if their life depended on it. Well, not that they couldn't, most just won't take the time to figure out how to do it right. A WOFT packet takes a LOT of time and effort compared to just enlisting someone. Most are going to spend their time where they get the biggest bang for their buck. They'll probably tell you that you should enlist, get some Army experience under your belt and apply for WOFT after a year or two. While there's nothing wrong with this--it's actually an admirable thing to do--it's not necessary. They're just going for the low-hanging fruit. The best thing to do is arm yourself with knowledge and keep on the recruiter.

BTW, the LOR from your dad and/or his friends certainly wouldn't hurt. You should also try to get one from a senior Army Aviator. Good luck, and keep us posted.

The old pickle suit is still in use, but there's a new flight suit--the AACU or A2CU.

z

Edited by zcat

All right, thanks a lot for the reply. My lifelong dream has always been to fly either fighters or choppers for the Air Force, since that's what my dad and his dad both did. I've gotten to the point in college where I'm just really hating it and feel like I just want to get out there and make a difference. I find out in March if I got a pilot slot with the AF..but it's just ridiculously competitive for slots in the AF right now. The army just seems like the way to go if you really want to get your hands dirty and make a difference.

• 2 months later...

I am in the EXACT same situation. Well except I was a senior, but doing 5 years in school. Also I have already quit AF ROTC and am working with a recruiter. I'm new to the board and have some questions also.

I got a misdemeanor (Minor in Possession of Alcohol) in September and lost my AF scholarship. Couldn't afford the school I was at and wasn't approved for a transfer so I quit. Now it's coming back to haunt me with the Army too. After taking the ASVAB and arguing with them about putting in a WOFT packet vs. enlisting they said that they need to do a background check in AZ where my misdemeanor was. My recruiter said he would give me a call in one week and that they should hear back from AZ in two weeks. Two weeks passed without hearing from him so I gave him a call and left a message asking him to call. No call back. I called him today and they said they have no word still and that he would call me Monday. I'm worried he's just sitting on it and maybe not even talked to the recruiter in AZ yet. Meanwhile I am running out of money and going nuts haha. Should I talk to another recruiter maybe?

While I'm at it here are my numbers too:

96 college credits

Major - aerospace engineering

2.8 GPA (3.3 previous semester...lot of crap happened)

Good standing with AF ROTC

Arnold Air Society (community service organization)

91 ASVAB

124 GT

I had a 90 on the AF pilot candidate score, so not worried about AFAST

60 FW hours, no PPL

LOR from ROTC commanders, school officials, etc

Have a friend that now works for LAPD and prior Marine also

But...misdemeanor as I already mentioned

I know you can't say "yeah, you'll get it for sure" but I'm hoping somebody may be able to tell me that I don't have a chance if that's the case. If so I will gladly enlist. However, I don't want to spend a year or two not flying if I could of been accepted to WOFT right off the bat. Appreciate any help. Oh yeah, and also...can an enlisted AD member apply for Army WOFT from any branch? For example, could I enlist in the Air Force and apply in a year or two? Thanks all.

And GL Olemiss.

Anyone have any ideas on if I would have a chance at getting picked up for a WOFT spot?

Junior at the Univ. of Mississippi in AFROTC

Private fixed-wing pilot

20 years old, will be 21 for the board

Very active in sports and church

Don't remember my asvab score, it was well over qualifying though

Have not taken the pilot aptitude test, however I am taking the Air Force version this coming Friday

And I can get some pretty nice LOR's as my dad was an AF colonel fixed-wing and helo pilot.

It seems like no matter how many recruiters I talk to, none of them know anything about the WOFT program. Any help would be nice, thanks. And do WO helo pilots wear flight suits or BDU's? ...or I guess the army calls them ACU's?

OleMiss this is an exact copy of a post I did prior to my submission of my packet and going in front of the 10APR2007 Review Board...I got accepted and this is what worked for me verbatim. hopefully it helps. However, my acceptance was pending my completion of my degree from Florida State...now that I've got the degree, everything's go and I'll be shipping off to Benning in 72 hours. Good luck! The work is well worth it!

"First, make sure your recruiter is either adept to or in a position of knowing how to construct a Warrant Officer packet. I've seen how much work my recruiter has put in on and off the clock to make sure everything goes smoothly with my processing and diminishing the margin of error. As far as information, go to http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/ and look at the criterion and use that information as a guideline to your questions.

If you're wondering what to expect from the process, hopefully the following will help you...

First, take the ASVAB and score a 50 or better with a GT score above 110. If you score in the 80-90 range, you should be more than fine. After your ASVAB, have your recruiter schedule your MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) visit where you conduct your first military physical and start your military medical records. After MEPS, you should have your recruiter schedule your AFAST (Army Flight Aptitude Selection Test). On this test, MAKE SURE you study for it as much as possible. You only need a 90 to pass but these scores stick with you so do your best. I used the ASA Rotary Wing Flight book, Helciopter Maintenance Manual, and a few other helicopter aerodynamics publications to prep me a little. After your AFAST, complete your "Why I Want to be an Army Aviator" essay, start asking for your letters of recommendation (maximum of six, minimum of three, I would suggest four really good ones), definitely start training for your APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test) if you haven't already, and have your recruiter contact the nearest Army Airfield for your flight physical. MAKE SURE that your recruiter speaks to his First Sergeant and Ft. Rucker to make certain that whatever airfield is chosen for your physical that it is acceptable to go to and Rucker approves it. Once this is approved, head to the airfield to get your flight physical conducted by an Army flight surgeon. After your flight physical, it's time to tie up loose ends before you submit your packet. At this point, you should expect to supply your Social Security Card, high school diploma, college transcripts (if applicable), birth certificate, your aviator essay, and get ready to take your APFT. After you complete your APFT, you're ready to fill out your Secret Security Clearance paper work which is the stage I am in right now, and collecting all of your letters of recommendation. About the letters, I must say that this is one of the few times you ask the people recommending you FIRST by calling them and cordially asking, then formally asking them in business letter format on heavy weight resume paper. They'll take you more seriously that way. Also, be prepared to send thank you letters in the same fashion once you have received them. Be VERY prompt on sending thank you letters to your writers. You never know when you'll need them in the future and plus it's DOWN RIGHT POLITE!!! laugh.gif

Once all applicable paper work has been scrutinized and submitted prior to the Warrant Officer Review Board deadline, the next and final stage is your Warrant Officer Review Board and then the good ol' "hurry up and wait" for USAREC (United States Army Recruiting Command) to give the yay or nay on your acceptance to Warrant Officer Candidate School. This wait period, from what I have been told to expect is between three weeks and one month. Then, for sure, you will know if you have been accepted for Warrant Officer Candidacy.

From start to finish, expect about four months for a civilian packet because I started a little before mid January and I should (if all checkpoints are met on time) receive my results from USAREC by 2May.

I truly hope this helps you on your endeavors to become an Army Aviator and if you have any questions, feel free to ask because I'm going through the process as we speak! Good luck!

GROeffectUND"

PS:

As far as none of the recruiters knowing anything, contact the recruiting station in Tallahassee, FL at (850) 575-5531 and ask for SFC Crutchfield. He's my recruiter, he walked me step by step through the process, and was NCOIC for Admin at Bravo Company at Ft. Rucker prior to be stationed in Tallahassee. I lucked out and he knew how to get the packet squared away. Tell him Reginald sent ya!

Edited by Reg

Jonzee, so many people post... Am I competitive? on this forum... Well, you will NEVER know if you don't put your packet together and try, if you are not selected, for whatever reason, you have no commitment... Build a well put together packet and submit that bad boy... The ROTC stuff... may or may not help you, my guess... prolly won't matter. As for the record... Hell, I know several guys, including myself who have things on our records... As long as it's not 'active' you should be good, might need a waiver, but that's nothing. Again, you will never know if you don't just put one together and try.

With that, if you have any other questions, PM me or repost

CHAD

Thanks FLHooker. I am definitely going to try, but to be honest I feel like my recruiter is holding me back. He doesn't call when he says he will and I have to follow-up with him. Should a background check really take a month? I'm going to talk to another recruiter and see what they have to say. It's very frustrating.

Oh it certainly could. Call another recruiter, definitely. And when your current recruiter finally calls you, tell him don't worry about it, since you haven't called me when I have called you, I have called someone else or that you're just not interested anymore. I have a short fuse when it comes to sh*t like that, he gets credit for putting you in... But then again, that's just me.

CHAD

• 2 months later...
Oh it certainly could. Call another recruiter, definitely. And when your current recruiter finally calls you, tell him don't worry about it, since you haven't called me when I have called you, I have called someone else or that you're just not interested anymore. I have a short fuse when it comes to sh*t like that, he gets credit for putting you in... But then again, that's just me.

CHAD

a while back i asked your from some advice about becoming an army aviator...just wanted you to know that after about a year and half...i was accepted into WOCS and will go this year in august.

thanks for you advice and help. to those interested in becoming a WO...perseverance is the key. Even though i haven't started school yet...and I'm still at the beginning...it took perseverance in believing that I had what it took. Convincing my recruiter that he wasn't wasting his time. I made it.

SO thanks to Vertical Reference for all the help with the posts...

See you in the skies.

Eli

I was just accpeted too... Small problem though; ha. I signed a NG contract two weeks before I got accepted. Now Active Duty is trying to get the Guard to release me, so we'll see what happens... Congrats to you man! Hopefully I'll be seeing you soon.

Rookie,

HA! That's funny.. sorta. It shouldn't be an issue, just because you signed the contract really doesn't mean much until you ship to Basic. Many people pull out of the contract prior to going. Just keep up with it!!!! I can't stress that enough, both sides will fight for it, but they will probably have to be called several times.

CHAD

Congrats man!!! Been a long time coming, but you are in. Keep up the hard work, and it will pay off!! I will send you some websites later to help you start studying. Again, Congrats!!

CHAD

I was just accpeted too... Small problem though; ha. I signed a NG contract two weeks before I got accepted. Now Active Duty is trying to get the Guard to release me, so we'll see what happens... Congrats to you man! Hopefully I'll be seeing you soon.

Thanks i appriciate it. Those websites are welcomed thanks. I agree with FLHooker. Until yo leave for basic, your all good...but as he mentioned keep up with it. call daily until you get your desired outcome. Did you sign your DEP or the COntract itself? If you signed your DEP (delayed entry program) then its easier, if you signed your contract and were sworn in...its a little tougher but you'll be ok. my friend just went through that.

I have the SOP for the course...i found it online...and i'm studying it right now...trying to get a heads up.

See you in the skies.

Eli

Edited by ErOk_OnE

I swore in, so I do have that impediment. The good thing is that from what I understand my Guard unit CO is the one who has to sign off on my release. I already know him; he's a 58' IP and knows I was only enlisting with the hopes I could get to WOFT. The Active Duty Los Angeles BN CO contacted me and said he would call my Guard CO, but beyond that he was not allowed to advise me until that call was made. This AD CO is a 60' pilot who actually went to flight school with my Guard CO, so I'm hoping this will work. Ha; what kind of luck is this? I fretted about getting in for so long, I never thought I would get it and then have to worry about some other obstacle -- outside of a flight physical with a doc with hands that could palm a basketball. We'll see guys..... I sure hope this works.... I'm pretty stressed out thinking about it....

I'm happy for you though Eli. You must be very excited. Shoot, if I get this worked out maybe I'll see you down there... I'll buy you a beer.

I swore in, so I do have that impediment. The good thing is that from what I understand my Guard unit CO is the one who has to sign off on my release. I already know him; he's a 58' IP and knows I was only enlisting with the hopes I could get to WOFT. The Active Duty Los Angeles BN CO contacted me and said he would call my Guard CO, but beyond that he was not allowed to advise me until that call was made. This AD CO is a 60' pilot who actually went to flight school with my Guard CO, so I'm hoping this will work. Ha; what kind of luck is this? I fretted about getting in for so long, I never thought I would get it and then have to worry about some other obstacle -- outside of a flight physical with a doc with hands that could palm a basketball. We'll see guys..... I sure hope this works.... I'm pretty stressed out thinking about it....

I'm happy for you though Eli. You must be very excited. Shoot, if I get this worked out maybe I'll see you down there... I'll buy you a beer.

Yeah I'm so psyched. I've been dreaming about this opportunity for almost 2 years and now its here. One piece of advice that i can offer, after having to overcome so many obstacles, is that you have to keep all the negative "what if's" out of your head.

I have no doubt that because you truly desire this, it will happen for you.

I am sorry you had to deal with the basketball palming doctor, that sucks...but your in...and everything seems to be exactly where it needs to be for you to get to WOCS.

'Sides I've already prayed and thanked God for that beer...so He's gonna have to make a way for you to get there.

Later,

Eli.

Edited by ErOk_OnE

how long does it usually take to get your flight physical back from Ft. Rucker? I have been waiting for three weeks should I be worried? Is there any way to call and find out the status?

I would get on the phone with the recruiter. If that doesn't help then call down to Ft. Rucker. Thats what I did. It kind of lit a fire under the situation.

I'm not sure if they're swamped with paper work down there, but your going on a month without any word. So you should try to communicate with someone.

If your recruiter is top notch then go through him/her.

My recruiter needed encouraging along the way, but once i got him going, he worked really hard on the packet for me.

good luck

how long does it usually take to get your flight physical back from Ft. Rucker? I have been waiting for three weeks should I be worried? Is there any way to call and find out the status?

I would get on the phone with the recruiter. If that doesn't help then call down to Ft. Rucker. Thats what I did. It kind of lit a fire under the situation.

I'm not sure if they're swamped with paper work down there, but your going on a month without any word. So you should try to communicate with someone.

If your recruiter is top notch then go through him/her.

My recruiter needed encouraging along the way, but once i got him going, he worked really hard on the packet for me.

good luck

Yeah I'm so psyched. I've been dreaming about this opportunity for almost 2 years and now its here. One piece of advice that i can offer, after having to overcome so many obstacles, is that you have to keep all the negative "what if's" out of your head.

I have no doubt that because you truly desire this, it will happen for you.

I am sorry you had to deal with the basketball palming doctor, that sucks...but your in...and everything seems to be exactly where it needs to be for you to get to WOCS.

'Sides I've already prayed and thanked God for that beer...so He's gonna have to make a way for you to get there.

Later,

Eli.

Thanks Eli. I hope so! I'm still waiting for word back from this AD CO...... I live in Los Angeles, and all I can dream about right now is being in Alabama in a shack of a bar drinking beers and talking about flying with a bunch of fellow, newly minted aviators -- frickin' bliss man!.....

I'll tell you what happens........

Rook,

When you head out there, rent a house, just make sure you do some research first. The houses out there are pretty much the same price to rent as an apt or townhouse.

I used to love friday and saturday nights... Our backyard was big enough to dig a fire pit, so we'd get a ton of beer, light a fire, and get stupid. Nice and relaxing after the hellish weeks we (and you will have) had.

CHAD

Rook,

When you head out there, rent a house, just make sure you do some research first. The houses out there are pretty much the same price to rent as an apt or townhouse.

I used to love friday and saturday nights... Our backyard was big enough to dig a fire pit, so we'd get a ton of beer, light a fire, and get stupid. Nice and relaxing after the hellish weeks we (and you will have) had.

CHAD

Backyard fires and drinks? Sounds fantastic Chad! Renting a house sure sounds like the way to go. Before I even start thinking about that though I have to get this Guard stuff worked out. I'm nervous as hell. Sounds simply academic right? Just have the Guard sign the release paper, etc.... Of course, we all know in the real world little works out the way it's supposed to or meant to... Keeping my fingers crossed!.......

Rook,

CHAD

While you were there you rented a house? Thats good stuff. After WOCS how much time were you given to rent a house and how much time after graduation did you have before you started IERW/WOFT?

Sir, that's a loaded question, because the answer is... it depends. You will be on hold for a while, it's a fact of rucker. Most people coming out of WOCS will be on hold for 2-4 months. You do typically have a week or so before you have to sign into B Co (the Flight Company) which is enough to find a house. Which, I suggest living in Enterprise (West side of the base). Most people live there, and those who don't...end up driving to Enterprise to party, etc...

CHAD

Sir, that's a loaded question, because the answer is... it depends. You will be on hold for a while, it's a fact of rucker. Most people coming out of WOCS will be on hold for 2-4 months. You do typically have a week or so before you have to sign into B Co (the Flight Company) which is enough to find a house. Which, I suggest living in Enterprise (West side of the base). Most people live there, and those who don't...end up driving to Enterprise to party, etc...

CHAD

I see...so Enterprise is the place to be. Understood. Well then beam me up....ok..that was lame...in fact i don't even watch Star Trek.

anyway...thanks for the reply Sir.

Currently I'm stuck in Hawaii with the family...all the Space A flights back to Japan were canceled...anyone feel like flying to Hickam AFB and picking up 3 people for Yokota AB.

Anyone...anyone....going once....going twice.......