Ebay Helicopter Auction

Optigirl

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-296C-H...1QQcmdZViewItem

Ebay search ID# 130174868723 just in case the ebay link doesn't work.

Ill be this AF sales quick !

What do you think ?

I would buy it at the opening bid price.

Vehicle Description

THIS 2002 SCHWEIZER HELICOPTER HAS ONLY 1383 HOURS TOTAL TIME SINCE NEW!!

THIS HELICOPTER SUSTAINED DAMAGE AS A RESULT OF GROUND RESONANCE DURING HOVER. (FLYING HELICOPTERS IS NOT EASY WORK!!)

THERE IS SERIOUS DAMAGE TO THE STRUCTURE OF THIS HELICOPTER, INCLUDING:

MAIN ROTOR BLADE DESTROYED

MAIN ROTOR MAST AND TRANSMISSION WERE PULLED AWAY FROM THE FIREWALL

MOTOR MOUNT IS DAMAGED

BOTH MAIN BUBBLES ARE CRACKED

TAIL BOOM IS SEPARATED

TAIL ROTOR BLADES AND TRANSMISSION HAVE HAD IMAPCT

FUEL TANK DENTED

THE SKIDS AND THE SKID SUPPORT STRUCTURE APPEAR UNDAMAGED!!

THIS AIRCRAFT IS EQUIPPED WITH FULL DUAL CONTROLS, INCLUDING DUAL STICKS WITH MULTI-SWITCH GRIPS AND DUAL RUDDER PEDAL ASSEMBLIES.

BOTH SEATS IN VERY GOOD TO EXCELLENT CONDITION.

INSTRUMENT POD IS IFR EQUIPMENT CAPABLE.

ALL ENGINE INSTRUMENTS, SWITCHES, CIRCUIT BREAKERS, ETC ARE INCLUDED.

FLIGHT INSTRUMENTS INCLUDED ARE AIRSPEED, TURN AND BANK, MANIFOLD PRESSURE AND ENGINE/ROTOR TACH.

ALSO INCLUDED ARE REMOVABLE WHEELS FOR EASY GROUND HANDLING.

CABIN DOORS WERE OFF AT TIME OF ACCIDENT, AND ARE NOT INCLUDED.

THIS HELICOPTER WOULD BE A GREAT STARTING POINT AS A PROJECT, A LOW-TIME PARTS DONOR FOR YOUR EXISTING PROJECT OR A NEAT DISPLAY OR SIMULATOR.

THIS WILL BE EASY TO TRANSPORT, AS IT IS QUITE COMPACT IN ITS SHOWN, DISASSEMBLED STATE.

THE LYCOMING 4 CYLINDER ENGINE IS NOT INCLUDED BUT THE EXHAUST SYSTEM IS.

So you dont get an engine, the airframe is bent and there are no doors. the rotor head and everything that connects to it are damaged. no rotor blades. Its every thing you could ever want in a scrap pile !

So you dont get an engine, the airframe is bent and there are no doors. the rotor head and everything that connects to it are damaged. no rotor blades. Its every thing you could ever want in a scrap pile !

You could probably make a pretty decent simulator out of it and then turn around and sell it to a school, or rent it out or whatever. Or an A&P training school could buy it and use it for their students to work on. Either way, I think it could have a second life....unfortunately, just not in the air :(

-EDIT-

Is it just me, or does it seem like thats a lot of damage for ground resonance during a hover? Looking through the pictures, it seems like there isn't a single part of that ship that wasn't damaged.....

Edited by AndrewT

I know ground resonance can do a lot of damage, but for them to state that it occured as a result of "ground resonance while in a hover" has got to be incorrect. How would one encounter ground resonance while in a hover, since the aircraft has to be in contact with the ground for it to occur? Corrective action for encountering ground resonance would be to lift back into a hover, so I'm guessing there's more to the story than what is in the ebay listing.

I would say this ship is a parts bin. Too much time and money to do anything else with it.

Only thing I can find is:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=...A208&akey=1

But the airframe times do not match, the report says 1595, while the ebay listing states 1383. Don't know, damage sounds like it could match though.

I used to fly this (897TH) helicopter and it crashed because of a tail rotor failure. I can't remember

the specifics. As for the the one on E-Bay, if you think the seats (good condition!) and the

ground handling wheels are worth $4000, have at it.

Edited by helonorth

Only thing I can find is:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=...A208&akey=1

But the airframe times do not match, the report says 1595, while the ebay listing states 1383. Don't know, damage sounds like it could match though.

Looks more like this one - http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=2...00956&key=1

You can make out a 65T on the tailboom.

Looks more like this one - http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=2...00956&key=1

You can make out a 65T on the tailboom.

Wow, thats an insurance company nightmare. No clear fault, maintenance issues, training issues, etc...I'll still offer $20 bucks for the ocntrols.

As a long time rebuilder of Hughes/Schweizer 269's here is what people are buying...

Airworthiness certificate, registration, Dataplate @ $6000 in the used market

Belt Drive $4000 used

Interior $1-2000

Instrument panel $1000

Rotorhead components.... vary depending on what's useable

Clutch actuator $1500+

Transmission cores... variable...

Go to Schweizer's web site and download the parts price list and anyone of those components will cost triple what I stated here.... These are not components that would be a problem to inspect and fly with confidence...

If you could buy that thing for $4000 it would be worth it... (asuming you have a need in a rebuild project)

As a long time rebuilder of Hughes/Schweizer 269's here is what people are buying...

Airworthiness certificate, registration, Dataplate @ $6000 in the used market

Belt Drive $4000 used

Interior $1-2000

Instrument panel $1000

Rotorhead components.... vary depending on what's useable

Clutch actuator $1500+

Transmission cores... variable...

Go to Schweizer's web site and download the parts price list and anyone of those components will cost triple what I stated here.... These are not components that would be a problem to inspect and fly with confidence...

If you could buy that thing for $4000 it would be worth it... (asuming you have a need in a rebuild project)

How could someone use the airworthiness certificate? I'm already afraid of the answer.

Edited by helonorth

There is nothing illegal about rebuilding a crashed aircraft..... The Feds only hang up is if you REMOVE that data plate.... So you can legally replace every part around the piece that the data plate is connected to and legally use the original registration and airworthiness certificate. It is done all the time.

Yes, be afraid, be very afraid :unsure:

There is nothing illegal about rebuilding a crashed aircraft..... The Feds only hang up is if you REMOVE that data plate.... So you can legally replace every part around the piece that the data plate is connected to and legally use the original registration and airworthiness certificate. It is done all the time.

Yes, be afraid, be very afraid :unsure:

Lets say I go out to Junkworld and buy 3 OH-6's and from the parts I rebuild one of the helicopters to perfect working order. Then I notice I don't have a Data plate nor COA. So, I go online and find a person willing to sale a Data plate ? Is that what company's offering recertification's are doing ?

Do you mean a company that restored and then recertified the helicopter? If so, they usually started with an aircraft that didn't have an airworthiness certificate ie... military helicopter that wasn't issued a COA (because the military doesn't need it). If that helicopter is a type certificated product (TH-55, OH-6, 3130, alouete II, etc...) you can build the helicopter to conform to the original type certificate and apply to the faa for a new airworthiness certificate and it basically becomes a civilian helicopter from that point.

If you buy a data plate and airworthiness certificate from a different aircraft and put them on your newly restored OH-6 you have broken the law.

If you are restoring something... you START with a data plate. Whether you have an airworthiness certificate or not... It is ok if you don't have an airworthiness certificate.. you can get another one, but it is an extra hassle and costs $$ by hiring a DAR (cause the FAA usually never wants to do their own work) and WHY don't you have one if you are rebuilding a previously issued ship? Was is lost or was it revoked.... or in the case of the OH-6 did it never receive one when originally manufactured?

This is the catch with any of the military bell helicopter products... they were NOT the same (albeit very close) as the civilian ships and cannot receive a normal category airworthiness certificate.

Thanks Apiaguy.

I was just unsure of how they would take a surplus military helicopter like an OH-6 in this case. or any helicopter for that fact. And re-cert it.

I have no clue as to what those company's are doing, My Dad made it sound like they just take a data plate from one OH-6 and place it on another. (I may not have been paying close attention ) I know that if you dont have a dataplate

you also dont have a COA.

After Thinking about it, Ill bet the company's that offer this service start with an airframe that have a data plate or go out and get a stripped out airframe that does and just work there way up tell they have a working aircraft.

I would really like to be a part of a group that goes out and finds a helicopter like an OH-6 or even an UH-1 and stripes it, Sands it, Paints it, Rebuilds the engine and all that's needed to have the aircraft pass and gets a COA. just for the experance.

I know my Dad worked on his H-500 for almost 7 years before getting it re-certed.

But in his case He had all the paper work and data plate(s).

Your dad was probabally correct and they probabally just slapped a data plate on the airframe they chose.... it's hard to catch and who would know..... but it is illegal. Now it is possible to replace everything on the aircraft including the area the data plate is located WITH FAA oversight... the regs allow this in damage instances or where the data plate has fallen off or been destroyed... it is just more faa involvement and looking over your project so most people don't want to do that.

I hear ya, I love taking an aicraft completely apart and piece by piece going thru it and getting it flying again...

Have fun.