The latest at Silver State Helicopters?

Posted at JH:

I heard something rather curious today about the students at SSH, I heard that the school is giving students that have been there more than 18 months a choice of either finishing in 120 days or they would be kicked out without even finishing the course, with absolutely no money back!.....They have got such a high new student rate, that they are crapping on those that have fallen behind to make room for the new ones!...isn't that crazy!....after paying all that money they just kick them out without a second thought!.....that's pretty rough.....anyone know anymore details about this?

and...

120 days is the max time a student gets to finish the hours they already

paid for ... if a student has 15 hours left of the 200 they originally paid for

they might get 30 days ... AND they will have to pay an additional $1/hour

to the CFI for each hour they ALREADY paid for to fly or sit in a simulator ....

many will NOT get their instrument rating THEY PAID FOR ... not enuf time ..

only their Commercial and CFI ... then they're DONE ... this is all coming

about due to the new partner (EOS) who wants to take the company

public along with greedy Jerry and issue stock ... greedy bastards ... they

have to clean up the books/accounting ... they can't have several hundred

students continuing to fly with expired contracts on the public books ...

the worst part of this which is the fact that of the $69.9k price ... students

paid $5k for 5 hrs of Turbine Training and paid for long line training that

SSH has NOT provided ,,, SSH now says the students have lost it because

the original contract time period has expired ... this is a major rip off ... Jerry

has lost control of SSH and sold off any integrity he had left to EOS who

can now remove him if they want to ... the EOS Board of Dirs is now in control

at SSH ... I heard they laid off a pile of marketing employees and that some

managers have quit or refused to rip off students in this way ... the students

are afraid to go after SSH legally because even after this insult they actually

want or need to work for SSH as CFI's to build their hours up to eventually

work for a "real" helicopter company ... pathetic SSH keeps getting more slimy everyday ...

Is it true? Does SSH's fixed-price program "for working adults" come with a time limit?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend whos nephew who is attending SSH in Utah. This guy is thinking of relocating here to Phoenix because the weather is making him take longer. He was given a time limit.

I work with a SSH student who was told he had to be done by the end of the year or he forfieted all remaining hours.

Guest rotorflyr84

Wow, this is insane :angry:

I'm not a SSH student (THANK GOD), but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that SSH is a complete joke and a waste of time.

It just amazes me that so many students are still enrolling at SSH despite all the crap that goes on with SSH. :rolleyes:

It doesn't surprise me at all that there are so many people willing to buy into the SSH lie. Two words... pet rocks.

Exactly right! With a good marketing plan that includes glitzy print ads, TV and radio coverage, you could sell a turd...for a little while. Eventually people will realize they are buying turds and the market will close out.

Apia had a good point about buying stock if they go public. It wouldn't want to be a stock I wanted to hang on to very long, but might be really good in the short term. This is such a niche market, with such a miniscule portion of the population buying the product, you have to wonder how long it can continue to grow. Hey maybe SSH and Starbucks can joint venture their franchises and co-locate them as they open up new locations.

Ive seen a few adds on TV SSH. And then there is that American Chopper show that did the Chopper for a chopper trade. With that kind of coverage and not alot of kids these days taking the time to look up company's on the INTERNET. Its no wonder. But its something they wont never forget !

I have to ask If you owned a helicopter service and 2 pilots walked into your place for a job, 1 was a SSH pilot and another was a complete patch job. would you have a problem hiring the SSH guy if there was no real difference between them ?

From Photoflyer, the moderator, "Why are you going out of your way to portray SSH in a negative way? Just curious."

I not "go[ing] out of my way", I just post their contract terms...the negative part takes care of itself.

SSH markets to "working adults"...because they can qualify for the financing...and gets their loan monies advanced to the company within six months. Over ten months those advanced funds become fully non-refundable (10% a month) regardless of what services the school has...or has not...provided. And finally, if these "working adults"...who, like 99% of such folks probably work 8-5 M-F...cannot finish the 200 flight hours (that they have paid for) in eighteen months they are booted out.

Eighteen months is 78 weekends. Two hours of flight time on weekends...every weekend...for eighteen months still only gets those students to 156 hours. Is it possible to finish in eighteen months? Of course it is. Should "working adults" plunk down $70k in advance to bet that they can...with all the variables they do not control like weather, SSH's flight scheduling, maintenance cancellations, Junior's birthday party...finish in that time? Probably not...and there are plenty of other flight schools that do not have these "negatives".

SSH is doing what any reasonable business must do to survive: it is enforcing its contract. Moreover, it isn't even enforcing it as it could. Students understand that when they come on board they have 18 months to finish. The reason they are tightening up the ship is because there are students on the books that are 24 months in with like 100 hours of flight time logged, many with far less, and not even a private ticket to show for it. And depending on their situation, they're given a reasonable amount of time ON TOP of what they already have had to finish up, some as long as 6 additional months. This is MORE than fair. You can argue that they shoudln't charge up front until you're blue in the face, but the program works for a lot of people by motivating them to go all the way through CFI. If you want to not commit, muddle through your training and pay for it piecemeal, then SSH isn't the school for you.

I not "go[ing] out of my way", I just post their contract terms...the negative part takes care of itself.

SSH markets to "working adults"...because they can qualify for the financing...and gets their loan monies advanced to the company within six months. Over ten months those advanced funds become fully non-refundable (10% a month) regardless of what services the school has...or has not...provided. And finally, if these "working adults"...who, like 99% of such folks probably work 8-5 M-F...cannot finish the 200 flight hours (that they have paid for) in eighteen months they are booted out.

Eighteen months is 78 weekends. Two hours of flight time on weekends...every weekend...for eighteen months still only gets those students to 156 hours. Is it possible to finish in eighteen months? Of course it is. Should "working adults" plunk down $70k in advance to bet that they can...with all the variables they do not control like weather, SSH's flight scheduling, maintenance cancellations, Junior's birthday party...finish in that time? Probably not...and there are plenty of other flight schools that do not have these "negatives".

Yes you do go out of your way to be negative, thats just you.

SSH wants you to fly at least 3 times a week and most of us do. I have a full time 8:30 to 5:00 job with all of the problems you listed (they apply to anything you do by the way not just SSH) and I haven't had any problem getting enough flying in and most of the delays were not in SSH control. They do have extensions.

I "plunked" down my $70k since it was the only way to guarantee I could get enough money to pay for all of the training and I get a head start on paying it back while I make better pay.

Apparently you were one of the people who got cold feet, backed out and lost money...if I'm wrong tell me what your story is.

Jerry

Edited by IFLYEVERYTHING

18 months is plenty of time. I'm working on my Commerical course and the way it looks right now I'm going to get through it all with a couple months to spare, and so are my friends in the same class. We're serious about the program so it's perfect for us. Those people who have been wishy-washy about being a pilot, those people are the ones with like 50 hours on the books for being the program for over 2 years. Sure there are always other circumstances preventing you from flying, but it's like that in EVERY school, yet there are plenty of helicopter pilots. That tells me that if you want to be a pilot you make the time. Don't get me wrong, I feel for the guys who haven't been able to fly for one reason or another that has been out of their control, but even the ones who don't deserve it are being given a huge contract extension.

Yes you do go out of your way to be negative, thats just you.

SSH wants you to fly at least 3 times a week and most of us do. I have a full time 8:30 to 5:00 job with all of the problems you listed (they apply to anything you do by the way not just SSH) and I haven't had any problem getting enough flying in and most of the delays were not in SSH control. They do have extensions.

I "plunked" down my $70k since it was the only way to guarantee I could get enough money to pay for all of the training and I get a head start on paying it back while I make better pay.

Apparently you were one of the people who got cold feet, backed out and lost money...if I'm wrong tell me what your story is.

Jerry

This is why I'm going to sign up with SSH. I can get the loan for the entire amount of training in one shot, the price is the same no matter what I fly in (r22, r44, whatever) and doesn't change with the price of gas, if the proverbial crap hits the fan I can maybe get an extension, and if I need to I can transfer to any of their locations. If I'm not finished in 18 months then maybe I'm not as serious about being a pilot as I thought. And from what I hear SSH didn't even enforce their own contracts until 6 months after they were up, and even then they're giving people more time. So where's the complaint? Sounds like a great deal to me.

spdave

I graduated from SSH with no problem. There were a couple people in my class that went over the 18 month mark but they managed to graduate. The ones that didn't, from my experience, were generally unmotivated or had some other extraneous circumstance involved. I can totally understand why they need to clean up the shop. SSH was very relaxed about the contract terms. I'm not surprised that they gave everyone even more time to complete the course. They were always helpful with me when I had issues come up. Fact is, if you can't commit, just don't sign up. Go with one of those small operations that do pay as you go. I was much happier knowing my CFIs were committed to their education from the get-go.

I've made my choice to go to SSH. People have the option of signing a contract or not signing, it's that simple. Any school you go to you will have to sign some sort of contract - and because they are in business to make money, the contract would, in any business, look out for their own interests.

I am going into this with my eyes wide open and with every intent on finishing school before the 18 months. Much like Iflyeverything, I work a full time job and will attend school too. After looking at my schedule with work and school, and including a little family time - I can handle this within the window. I'm sure if there was something out of my control that prevented me from going to class, SSH would work with me to get caught up.

Spindeli

Hi bspindeli,

I'm going to have to disagree with your statement that every school you attend you will have to sign a contract. I did my Private, Instrument, and Commercial training in AZ, never having to sign any kind of contract, then moved to WA to finish my CFI, and CFII, not having to sign a contract.

I personally would never sign a contract that states I have a certain time to finish something that should be a go at your own pace. It's your money, period. You are the customer. They are providing a service to you, and you should be treated as so. You never know what events may arrise during your training. What if you get into a car accident, then have a cast on for 6 - 8 weeks? I highly doubt the school you signed a contract with would care.

I hope that you are right, and are able to finish all of your ratings in the time allowed. I truly do. I know several people that attended SSH and seriously regret it.

Good luck, and safe flying.

How long have these people been in school? I would think if you had students who were not taking the training seriously enough you would have to do something to make them get serious. If an instructor shows up for class and has no students, I can see the instructor complaining to Mgmt. and something needing to be done to persuade to student to get it done.

I've made my choice to go to SSH. People have the option of signing a contract or not signing, it's that simple. Any school you go to you will have to sign some sort of contract - and because they are in business to make money, the contract would, in any business, look out for their own interests. ...

I went to two schools - neither asked to sign a training contract.

Just putting my 2 cents worth in here. I am a current student with SSH and I have to agree with bspindeli's response. I researched several flight academies and found that SSH was the one that best fit my needs. I am well aware of the 18 month completion policy- although I am quite confident I will graduate well within that time frame.

I wish you the best of luck bspindeli.

Eric

I am currently a student with SSH. I have been in the course for more than 18 months, for medical problems. I was told SSH is enforcing the 18 month rule . It was not difficult at all to plead my case and get an extension. All they required from me was a commitment to fly x amount of hours per week and meet deadlines with course material. I don't think it was a bad thing, it just gives me a goal!

I know certain people have different feelings toward this company but I have nothing but positive things to say.

To bspindeli, stick to your plan. It will be hard to handle at first, but once you get a routine with work and school you will be ok. Just remember it is not going to last forever, just a year or two and you will be done. Good luck to you!

Fly Safe

As a former student, and current CFI for SSH, I too was a bit skeptical of the "18 month" contract, but after speaking to quite a few current SSH students and staff I made the decision to attend SSH- and have no regrets about that decision. As a student I completed the course in just under 15 months, and as a CFI I have never personally had a student take over 18 months to complete the course. If a person is motivated and it is the passion to fly then there would be no reason that they could complete the course well within the 18 month timeframe.

Here was my experience as a student with SSH. About 6 months into my training I had to have surgery and was unable to attend school or fly for almost 5 months which threw me way behind. Prior to my surgery I spoke with my instructor and the GM at my school, made them aware of the situtation and asked what my options were since the agreement that I signed stated my training was to be completed within 18 months. Both of them advised me that due to my circumstances they would work closely with me when I got back on my feet to complete my training- and if I ran past the 18 months (I did- it took me about 21 months) there would be no additional cost to me- and they were true to their word!

I for 1 would highly recommend SSH for heli flight training.