National Guard/Army Reserve Aviation

Remember, if you are in the Army RESERVES you can be plucked out of the unit individually and sent to another one to plus it up for deployment. A Guardsman stays with his state unless he wants to transfer.

I had a VERY unfortunate experience with a Army Reserve aviator recruiter that is a major. I was flat out lied to and manipulated. My time was routinely wasted. That person has no respect for others. Had I not been a soldier this $&%^ would have screwed me over to fill his number quotas. I finally pulled my paperwork and went guard a year or so later. Hopefully you will have a better experience.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Remember, if you are in the Army RESERVES you can be plucked out of the unit individually and sent to another one to plus it up for deployment. A Guardsman stays with his state unless he wants to transfer.

Billybob,

Good point, didn't even think about that. I'm just trying to get him to get the wings. Where are you out of?

CHAD

I'd say whoever is willing to put you in first. GET THE WINGS. I'm bias to the situation, but I would suggest 47's, for a couple of reasons. 1. I love them 2. There are alot fewer 47 slots than 60's, transition to a 60 would be a lot easier if you wanted to eventually going that way, and you'd be rated in 2 airframes 3. I love them.

Let me get something straight... MD is saying that they are going to put you on a shortfall list?? Um, I'd be careful with that, it could be a LONG time (big time COULD) before a shortfall comes along. They are pretty unpredictable. If they have a shortfall already on the books, go for it, but if they don't, be careful. As for the Class 1, that doesn't make sense at all, it ALL goes through Rucker, no matter where you are. Also, who in MD is telling you about the shortfall list?? is it the UNIT S1?????? or is it a recruiter??

As for the Guard vs Reserve. It's really a personal preference. I'm currently on Standby for all the fires here in FL, whereas a Reservist wouldn't be. GET THE WINGS.

CHAD

Chad,

MD is the only state relatively close ot me that has 47's (I think PA might have them, and of course the news about NY) or if I go the Army reserve side that would land me at Eustis. The CW4 UH60/IP is the one who is pushing for the shortfall so they dont have to use one of their 5 FY09 slots, I'm not sure how the OML looks at the moment or how many candidates are already in the pipeline. The MD recruiter is concerned with the enlistment, he told me after I've enlisted he'd reccomend me to the Col. and based on the steps I've already completed I'd be more competitve in the running to get a slot. As for the Class 1, the Army reserve recruiter for the most part isnt concerned with what the Guard has already done- I may just shoot an email up to NYARNG WO recruiter on Tuesday just to see how they do business.

I had a VERY unfortunate experience with a Army Reserve aviator recruiter that is a major. I was flat out lied to and manipulated. My time was routinely wasted. That person has no respect for others. Had I not been a soldier this $&%^ would have screwed me over to fill his number quotas. I finally pulled my paperwork and went guard a year or so later. Hopefully you will have a better experience.

Billybob,

I hope so too... I dont trust recruiters as far as I can see them- they have all the right responses initially but once you get the wheels turning or start digging deeper the story changes, I'm trying to avoid getting screwed over but its seems like the recruiters I am working with have very little experience with aviation applicants and what they are saying versus what direction the unit is giving is different scoop.

Billybob,

I hope so too... I dont trust recruiters as far as I can see them- they have all the right responses initially but once you get the wheels turning or start digging deeper the story changes, I'm trying to avoid getting screwed over but its seems like the recruiters I am working with have very little experience with aviation applicants and what they are saying versus what direction the unit is giving is different scoop.

It's truly frustrating, I know.

The best things you can do are: 1. Never quit, make them send you away. 2. Educate yourself for protection

Overall, not a bad way to hang with good folks and fly good aircraft. (they're ALL good and you'll enjoy whatever you finally get)

It's really fun some days and sucks really bad others. Note the mud on the Apache in the photo, that means the aircraft, her pilots, and crew chiefs are living in the mud. (joy!) On the other hand the guys inside have air conditioning :)

Good Luck

post-4040-1211676044_thumb.jpg

PA does have 47's... I was actually drinking with one of their MTP's last night. They are out of Fort Indiantown Gap (20 min north of Harrisburg).

the MD recruiter, he says he's going to recommend you AFTER you have the papers signed. Ummm, Can't he intro you prior to signing. You don't have to be 'in' to meet the LTC.

The "wanting to use a shortfall" bit... Honestly, I don't get it. Shortfalls are usually for the people at the top of the list to get them into a class earlier. Normally, people are put in the OML, then given shortfalls as they come down.

I also agree with Billybob, you will enjoy whatever airframe you end up with. they are all cool as hell in their own right.

CHAD

PA does have 47's... I was actually drinking with one of their MTP's last night. They are out of Fort Indiantown Gap (20 min north of Harrisburg).

the MD recruiter, he says he's going to recommend you AFTER you have the papers signed. Ummm, Can't he intro you prior to signing. You don't have to be 'in' to meet the LTC.

The "wanting to use a shortfall" bit... Honestly, I don't get it. Shortfalls are usually for the people at the top of the list to get them into a class earlier. Normally, people are put in the OML, then given shortfalls as they come down.

I also agree with Billybob, you will enjoy whatever airframe you end up with. they are all cool as hell in their own right.

CHAD

I havent posed that quesiton to him, thats the difference with Virginia- I was able to meet the SAO shortly after taking the AFAST but... they wanted me to enlist to get a Flight Physical... MD on the other hand gave me a flight physical but havent stepped foot in front of the SAO. I don't know how the current OML looks or what order I'd rank compared to others.

You can always ask how many they have on the waiting list currently. And historically how many people that apply vs normal allocation of annual slots. Keep in mind that Oct 1 starts a new fiscal year.

CHAD