guard aviation

Hey everyone, great site. I'm dead set on flying helos for the guard - flying has been my dream for as long as I can remember. I had a few questions for anyone who has gone through the process or has any knowledge on the subject. A little background - I did four years in the Air Force, got out at the end of my contract, and now I'm a junior at the University of Wisconsin. My plan is to do ROTC and SMP simultaneously.

First, will my age be a problem? I'll be 27 before going up before the board. I know that my age is under the Army requirement, but I'm just wondering if it will be a negative.

Second, if I have 20/50 vision (correctable to 20/20), should I just wear glasses, or should I get the Lasik surgery? I've heard conflicting advice. I'm tempted to get the surgery, but that would lead to a waiver, which can't be a good thing. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Dan

Dan, your age won't be a factor. However, I would NOT suggest getting lasik before talking to a flight surgeon, I'm pretty sure that would be a disqual if you did it prior to getting in. Your ROTC Cadre should have that kind of info for you, as I'm not too sure about the eyes.

As for the SMP program, make sure you call up the AV unit in Wisconsin, I know there's a Hawk unit there, and get accepted as an SMP cadet. This may take a bit of convincing, but well worth it. It will give you a foot in the door when you are ready to compete for a slot.

CHAD

Chad and Airforce,

LASIK (and some of its related procedures) will not disqualify you.

www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/WOoverview.html#AFAST%20Locations

Recruiters hate it because you will need a waiver (more paper work for them) but for the most part it is a technicality. The only caveat is that there is a mandatory 3 month wait before you can proceed with your packet.

You are also still eligible with your 20/50 so the choice it up to you.

-V5