Van Nevel Shut Down!

Nuke

same co.??

http://www.northescambia.com/?p=439

“Van Nevel is suspected of improperly refurbishing helicopters and helicopter parts, selling unapproved aircraft parts, performing improper repairs on helicopters and misleading the aviation community by false advertisements,” according to federal documents from the Office of Transportation obtained by NorthEscambia.com."

Edited by klas

On the news interview, Georges Van Nevel claims that the FAA is out to get the little guy! He states it's intimidation and unfounded.

From what I know, Cedric Van Nevel (son) left the company several months ago to go fly in the Gulf. He had some father/son difficulties in how the business was being run.

Again, that is only second/third hand rumor mill info and not gospel!

I have first hand knowledge on what happens when you piss off the FAA. If this is the case in this situation, I hope they stand their ground...the FAA hates that. They want you to bow to their greatness.

As far as home-made parts...that would be bad. I hope that's not the case here.

Wasn't there a father/son team in California a few years ago making "new" tail rotor blades for the R22? Didn't they exploded killing two and sending the father/son team to prison for 2nd deg murder?

Wasn't there a father/son team in California a few years ago making "new" tail rotor blades for the R22? Didn't they exploded killing two and sending the father/son team to prison for 2nd deg murder?

The only incident I know of like this was in Australia, killed two I think. The tail rotor was improperly re-assembled...and yes, the "mechanic" in that incident went to jail...didnt help the two guys in the R22 much, though.

Goldy

On the news interview, Georges Van Nevel claims that the FAA is out to get the little guy! He states it's intimidation and unfounded.

From what I know, Cedric Van Nevel (son) left the company several months ago to go fly in the Gulf. He had some father/son difficulties in how the business was being run.

Again, that is only second/third hand rumor mill info and not gospel!

link?

any more news on this?

this really messed up my plans because AS FAR AS I KNOW this is the only helicopter training in the NW Florida area. even if he is cleared of charges I've had a few people over on JH say to steer clear of the place, I dunno it just don't look good and I don't know if I'd feel comfortable handing over cash now!!!

News flash**********You're guilty until YOU can prove otherwise************according to the FAA.

Isn't it great how everyone always figures that what they see and hear on the news is always correct?

I spoke to George at length, today. The basis to this most recent complaint is that the MIDO gave George's company the go ahead to manufacture parts for the FH1100 helicopter, using the tooling and drawings provided under the type certificate he purchased in 1989. When he manufactures these parts he puts a -V on the end of the part number to designate it's a new part manufactured under the newly purchased type certificate. The FSDO comes in and says that the type certificate has no mention of a -V part number. I think that George has pissed off the guys at the FSDO. After speaking with George, we asked him if he had a problem with us calling the MIDO. He assured us that he had no problem. We called the supervisior of the MIDO in Atlanta and spoke to him about George's manufacturing facility. He informed us that the MIDO has absolutely no problem with anything that George's company is involved in. As a matter of fact they are waiting on George to call them and tell them that he is ready for his final inspection authorizing him to manufacture the VN1100. This will be the designation of the newly manufactured helicopters later this year.

The FSDO has been a constant thorn in the side of Van Nevel. For some reason they want to assert their authority when a manufacturing facility should answer to the MIDO. The supervisior at the MIDO said he was not invited to participate in the so called "raid".

As far as a couple of guys, on the JH forum, saying to stay away, you need to consider the source. The JH forum tells everyone to stay away from everything.

MARPAT is still in the process of acquiring a refurbished FH1100. We hope to be one of the first to acquire a VN1100 this year.

bossman

that's good to hear, I wasn't throwing him or his business practices under the bus, at least I wasn't meaning to. I think the word is consumer confidence, I can say yes that my consumer confidence was shook. Mike consider that I'm a newbie that knows nothing about the industry at all really, consider that I'm trying to make the best choice I can to spend my money, consider that it was only a day or two ago when someone simply said "google George Van Nevel" and then THIS happens. Like I said "I dunno it just don't look good" I don't know what to think really Mike. Mr Van Nevel can certainly thank them for potentially turning away some clients, that's for sure. I don't know how or if this will affect my decision but it certainly was shocking to hear because the same day this happened I talked to someone on the phone about training! but I do know about being guilty until proving innocence as I been in a 5 year long dispute with the stinkin IRS. anyhow I hope it works out for him and potentially me.

Rogue,

Was not throwing anything at you. Just used your post to reply. You go ahead and do your research. You'll never learn anything if you do not ask questions.

bossman

Rogue,

Was not throwing anything at you. Just used your post to reply. You go ahead and do your research. You'll never learn anything if you do not ask questions.

bossman

I didn't think you were, I just wanted to say where I was coming from with what I said because it sounds like the last thing that Mr Van Nevel needs right now is an uniformed individual possibly making him look bad on the good ol internet :) I really hope it works out for him.

• 5 weeks later...
Last post here was a month ago today. Anyone here aware - what is the latest???

1100 program still going. We are taking delivery of ours by 1 april. Our delay was because of our financial woes. We talk to George on a regular basis. We hope to become a service center for the 1100.

• 4 months later...
yeah, but wasn't Bossman and Marpat in the process of acquiring an FH1100, talk about bad luck it seems Marpat just can't get a break.

I was just at MARPAT a couple of weeks ago and put an hour and a half (dual) on their FH-1100. I WANT ONE!!!!

In the meantime, I'm looking at going down there to get my private/commercial/instrument rotorcraft add-ons to my current commercial fixed-wing.

Friendly folks there!

Dev