R44 External load (Seeding bucket)

Falko

I have a question,

who has any experience with the R44 being used for Seeding-jobs ?

The way I see it the R44 Astro is not strong enough to lift a 350 pund(which does not include the seeds) seeding-bucket.

I guess it will lift it up from the ground, but then there will be no power left in case you would need it.....especially on a hot day, or when its gusty.

Plus the factor, that you don't want to refuel you helicopter every 6 min. or so

What do you think ?

Falko

• Like 1

I have a question,

who has any experience with the R44 being used for Seeding-jobs ?

The way I see it the R44 Astro is not strong enough to lift a 350 pund(which does not include the seeds) seeding-bucket.

I guess it will lift it up from the ground, but then there will be no power left in case you would need it.....especially on a hot day, or when its gusty.

Plus the factor, that you don't want to refuel you helicopter every 6 min. or so

What do you think ?

Falko

Do you have an R44 POH ? Can you see what the max hook weight is ? Sure seems like I could lift more than 350, since I can put over 720 in the cabin and 225 in fuel and still be within limits on a Raven I model...cant believe an Astro would be that much different.

The R-44 Astro and Raven have a useful load of around 850 lb and the Raven II has a useful of around 950lb depending on equipment installed. The hook capacity (using an OnBoard Systems Hook) is 800 lb. I've had quite a bit of experience in the past doing long line work with R-44's. Typically I never run more than 1 hour worth of fuel (approximately 90 lb) when doing that type of work. I weigh 200 lb. So that leaves me roughly 560 lb. with an Astro or Raven and 660 with a Raven II (roughly). I've hauled many an external load over 600 lbs. with a Raven II.

Your 350 lb seed bucket plus the weight of seed/fertilizer won't be a problem. As for wind/DA conditions limiting your power use common sense.

If your not familiar with the R-44 or long line or both find somebody experienced to teach you. Flying around in a R-44 with a 600 lb pendulum below you in a commercial environment can be a little hair ball at times. Not recommended for newbies. I'm guessing by the question you asked that you don't have much experience.

When it comes to commercial long line (especially in a R-44) practice and common sense go a long ways, and then practice some more.

PS If you do use your R-44 for repeated heavy lifting make sure to check your bushings on the MR head every day. They wear out quick.

Fly Safe :o

• 4 months later...

Falko,

350lbs for a spreader bucket seems a little heavy. try this site http://www.heliap.com/Products.html

They claim weights below 100lbs for what looks to be a very cleanly built (sturdy???) bucket system. I'm sure some of the buckets built for a huey might weigh 350lbs but the extra capacity of a bigger bucket will just be dead weight for your r-44.

there are several other companies that make buckets but this one caught my eye with several unique features.

hope this helps.

Brent

• 4 years later...