Do we have any Army WO's?

• 2 weeks later...
I just graduated WOCS on the 5th, lots of info is still fresh in my mind. Feel free to PM me or post here and I'll answer what I can.

What branch did you go in from? How long did it take to put together a package and go through the process of being accepted? After this SSH mess and with the economy the way it is Uncle Sugar is sounding like the way to go!

What branch did you go in from? How long did it take to put together a package and go through the process of being accepted? After this SSH mess and with the economy the way it is Uncle Sugar is sounding like the way to go!

Another WO here.

Just don't ask me any questions about the normal WO process. If you want to know about Navy to Army National Guard transitions, I can tell you about that.

I'm not sure yet Chad. I'm on the fence between Hawks and Apaches, leaning towards attack though.

I came in from the Air Guard. I did 11 years there and during the whole process I was considered a civilian. My guard experience probably had something to do with getting selected though I'm sure. I started in Jan 07 and was picked up in the August board, left for the Warrior Transition Course (Seems I'm the only one that's had to do that...de de de) on October 9th.

My warrant school was a 6 week course, designed for people that do not have BNOC or ANOC, they didn't consider my Airforce Airmans Leadership course adequate to qualify for the 4 week course. I'll bet that out of the 69 of us that were going to be Aviators at least 20 were street to seat. Few 18 year old guys that had zero military or flight experience. They were fairly sharp guys though.

Edited by Mymm

FLHooker,

"lovely Ft Rucker" Do I detect a bit of sarcasim...... didn't you like your stay there? Heck I thought it was a, real life experience. Where else can you find a statue of a peanut? Traveling tent revivals, traveling carnivals with strippers in a tent.......and if you care to go all the way to Dothan....live raslin every wed night.

Actually, I thought "Mother Rucker" was a pretty good place to be stationed, at least for those of us that good IP jobs. There were so many officers around, you rarely got any kind of additional duty. I think I was OD for a 12 hour period during one of the 13-14 days the school was closed for the Christmas holidays. It might have changed some in the 35 years, since I was there.

Back in the good ole days, the O Club bingo prizes were things like C-172's and his and her cars. Does the lake lodge still exist? Pretty good golf course, free of course. Skeet and trap range, also free including ammo. All the unmarried company grade Officers and Warrants had corvettes and PC beach was only a six pack away. You could almost always get a UH-1 for proficiency flying and go to Atlanta or New Orleans for a weekend. The Aviation school closed for all the holidays so there were a lot of 3-4 day weekends.

Other then the shortage of girls that didn't chew or dip, I thought it was a nice place to spend a couple of years.

Yeah, a bit has changed... While I agree, I did enjoy my time there, but it was a simple fact of the people I was surrounded by. Great people.

The 'O' club is there, no cool prizes though, hell... not many (if any) soldiers actually play there, I only saw retired wives playing. PC beach, ha... never went. I've been there prior to going to Rucker, and being from florida, I was truly fond of it. You can't take any aircraft on the weekends, hell... you don't even truly solo anymore. I had 1.5hrs in the aircraft with my stickbuddy next to me, but we weren't allowed to leave the pattern. Not even mentioning you can't go to Atlanta (distance) unless you get the Avon Lady, Santa and atleast 3 elves to sign off on it. As for the Lake Lodge, I'm not sure what you are talking about... There are cabins on the lake, but no bar if that's what you are referring to. The shotgun range is there, but again, nothing is free.

My favorite thing to do while I was up there is to light a campfire in the backyard on the weekends, invite people over and sit around drinking beer. That was good times. I do miss that.

CHAD

I was last at Fort Rucker in 1973.

The Lake Lodge was a part of the O club and yes it was a bar, frequented by Junior officers and warrants. I don't recall any cabins. Bingo was played a couple times a week at the main club and the place was packed, yup a lot of wives but the lure of winning an airplane attracted many of the students also. How about the bar at the BOQ, there was one that was one of only 3-4 modern buildings on the post (about 3-4 floors,brick building) with a O club bar on the main floor. In those days the post was open to the public, many of the local girls hung out at the BOQ bar.

The Chevrolet dealer on the highway going into Enterprise typically had 10-15 corvettes in stock at any one time. Fort Rucker airfields had more aircraft operations per day than ORD or ATL.

Guess there aren't nearly as many folks there these days. We must have graduated 500 orwac/worwac students a month in 1970-71-72, plus I think most of the transition courses were there also. Did you know that VHPA estimates that 40,000 RW aviators of all the services, served in Southeast Asia from 1962-1975?

I was a tactics IP (the last 4 weeks of ORWAC/WORWAC) in UH-1s. The students got about 25 hours total, of which (with their sick buddy) about 12 hours was solo. We flew all over SE Alabama and LA. The training included support of the, ranger jungle course at Eglin.

Enough of the reminiscing, but it really was a good time in my life. I was also surrounded by some really great people.

I'm also from FL, where is your unit? How much do you get to fly? Have you been, or going to be deployed? How old are the Hooks you're flying these days?

Fly Safe!

yeah, I can see alot has changed. The bar at the BOQ is still there, but I've never actually been there. Rarely did we ever drink on base, in fear of getting pulled over by the MP's. There are still a good amount of corvettes being sold there, mostly to the West Pointers. Tactics that you are referring to is now called BWS (Basic Warfighting Skills). We still get about 25 hours there, but none of it is solo, and is all in the TH-67A+. I wish we got to solo. The Ranger jungle school is still supported, but by the Hawks, typically every other class gets to fly up to Benning, pick them up and fly them down to Eglin.

My unit is in Jacksonville, we have mostly old hooks, 1 of them was born back in 1961. Reborn several times. I don't get to fly as much as I would like, about 10 hours a month, but I am flying more than most of my active duty buddies that I graduated with. Most of them haven't even flown, yet I'm RL1. The Army is stressed for parts, crews, etc... I have not been deployed, however, i might be going over to Afghanistan in Oct. We'll see.

CHAD

Don't forget the Boll Weevil statue in....can't remember. Went to flight school in 1991-1992. The O-club then was still a happening place on Friday nights. They would have pool / BBQ parties during the summer (great time). I've heard from some of the guys who have recently returned that the O-club has morphed into a boring place all the time. It sounds like the MPs are even hassleing folks who elect to walk home vs drive. Not sure how much truth there is to this but I would't be surprised after some of the ridiculous stuff I've seen the Army implement recently. The zero defect Army at it's finest.

I had my truck on display at the Ford Dealership in 1991. They had an ugly truck contest. I had a rusted out '77 blazer that you could actually see through the side and it didn't even get honorable mention as the locals has some messed up rigs.

If I had known about the shotgun I might have bought a Ford before I PCSd to Germany instead of the Honda.

• 2 months later...
I'm not sure yet Chad. I'm on the fence between Hawks and Apaches, leaning towards attack though.

I came in from the Air Guard. I did 11 years there and during the whole process I was considered a civilian. My guard experience probably had something to do with getting selected though I'm sure. I started in Jan 07 and was picked up in the August board, left for the Warrior Transition Course (Seems I'm the only one that's had to do that...de de de) on October 9th.

My warrant school was a 6 week course, designed for people that do not have BNOC or ANOC, they didn't consider my Airforce Airmans Leadership course adequate to qualify for the 4 week course. I'll bet that out of the 69 of us that were going to be Aviators at least 20 were street to seat. Few 18 year old guys that had zero military or flight experience. They were fairly sharp guys though.

I dont have to do the Warrior Transition Course. I'm coming in from the A.F. Reserve side of the house.

• 2 weeks later...
It was my understanding that only Marines didn't have to do the WTC?

I know marines dont for sure. If your coming into the Army as a regular enlisted guy it's required but it seems that everyone coming in as an officer, warrant or otherwise does not need to go through it. There is probably some regulation somewhere that states it and my recruiter didn't bother to find it and I didn't know about it.