First lesson today!!

The boss lets me practice some governor off solo

I didn't see this until kinda late but... Thought I would throw this out there:

"Flight prohibited with governor selected off, with exceptions for in-flight system malfunction or emergency procedures training."

Right out of the R22 limitations section.

Not trying to start anything, but I didn't want any other students to get the wrong idea. The responsibility really falls on the instructor, so if he was comfortable with going against the POH, that's his call.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top of the Evening Flip...

I think you quoted the same phrase that my instructor quoted "emergency procedures training" as the reason I was to hover around with the governor off on the taxiway near the hanger. After this short stint I was a lot more comfortable with the idea of dealing with the governor failing in flight. The correlator really does do a great job of handling the throttle, at least here at <1000'. It was one of the reasons that when the DPE shut off the governor, I really didn't care, other than I worried he would pull something else at the same time the governor was off. I found that you tend to need to hold the throttle from over speed rather than feeding more throttle.

"Flight prohibited with governor selected off, with exceptions for in-flight system malfunction or emergency procedures training."

The responsibility really falls on the instructor, so if he was comfortable ...

I do think it is imperative to practice governor off. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm a little surprised that an instructor would let a student pilot perform this without being on board as he is taking a lot of responsibility if something goes awry (overspeed or some such).

Good job, though. Sounds like you've got your ducks in a row and a good head on your shoulders. That's important in this industry.

Coming to my first lesson being able to hover (thanks Microsoft) the helicopter right away reduced the feeling of being overwhelmingly incompetent.

Just to clarify, you were actually able to hover on your first lesson because of practising on Microsoft Flight Simulator? If so, that's fantastic news to me as I have been playing around with it a bit but some people here don't think it is useful at all.

Yes Sir...

The Saitek USB pedals, the Saitek X35T USB throttle, the Saitek X36F USB joystick, a decent video card and MS Flight Sim flying the R22 on a desktop computer. Get the joysitck on a box right in front of you down low with you forearm braced on you right leg, not up on the desk. Put the throttle backward and angled on a wastebasket next to you so that when you pull up/back you are raising collective (this throttle set up is really important). The torque will be off, but the gages are right, the attitude is right, the foot actions are right, the right hand is correct, the take off profile and landing profiles are almost right. Fly the (I think) mission 11. Switch between the two interior cockpit views (set the virtual cockpit view a little down with the hat switch to get the top bank of gages only), stay away from their courses and objectives (unless you really want to), just hover around the airport, do patterns, land on things around the area including the aircraft carrier or just fly over Kauai. The exterior views will make things a lot easier, but you don't learn as much as fast. You will know the gage set up, you will learn the coordination of feet, and both hands, you can practice radio (pretend) etc. You can do air taxi and quick stops, but again the pedal action will not be right. Forget about autos, unless you don't need to practice torque compensation. Try to relax, you will die or be maimed many times before you get it right. Also be advised that in the real thing you get the benifit of motion and can see to the sides and down much better which makes it much easier. As in the real thing, focus out front somewhere (maybe the gas pump near where the R22 is sitting or the mountains in the distance, not at a spot on the ground or even the runway numbers. Once you have this figured out, you are much less intimidated in the real thing.

Regards,

Tom

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you really want to draw the curtains or close the door as you will feel a bit the idiot with all these contraptions on wastebaskets and shouting out radio calls to thin air. Besides, if your kid comes in, he/she will probably kick your A&$ by hovering right away. Don't forget to turn up the sound.

Just to clarify, you were actually able to hover on your first lesson because of practising on Microsoft Flight Simulator? If so, that's fantastic news to me as I have been playing around with it a bit but some people here don't think it is useful at all.
Edited by Wannabe1

• 11 months later...

Well, it has been a while since I visiting this thread and it has been one year since I rec'd my PPL-H in an R22. I'm under 100 hours yet so I needed an SFAR review this month. I chose the fellow in Kenosha WI where last month I checked out in his helicopter; http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.c...showtopic=11122

Okay then... His idea of Advanced Maneuvers and Energy Management are NOT just doing a few extra autos! Last year, during my primary training for autos, if I got under 60 I heard "check your air speed!". And we did everything to a power recovery. I entered autos when I figured (or my instructor figured) the 65 Knot glide slope worked out to a landing spot. Not with this new (8000 hours) guy! Everything is to the ground; I didn't do one power recovery. I was shown and then did 1.2 hours of autos of various kinds. From 80 knots and 60 knots approaches to hovering at 1000' and 350' over the runway. Sometimes he would cut power on me as I'm pulling carb heat on the downwind. Sometimes to hit my mark I had to fly backward to bring my landing spot (pretend oil platform) back into the windshield then regain at least 45 knots (he said I would have been able to flair and recover at 40 but I would have to be perfect) for the flair and landing. I did three (he did a demo) hovering autos from 350-400 feet.

Power recoveries are different. Maybe with the engine REALLY out the torque would not be affecting the aircraft, but with this practice of 'to the ground landings', I am flairing lower, leveling better, cushioning with the collective, and sliding straight once down. I now feel more equiped to actually land in a backyard, a backyard that is not on a 65 Knot glide slope away. This guy had me practicing and observing what playing with the air speed does; and what happens to altitude when I move the RRPM around while at a specific air speed.

I hope to never need to auto in and I understand the statistics favor power recoveries, even not practicing autos, but dang I learned a lot yesterday!

Best Regards,

Tom

Edited by Wannabe1