AFAST Pointers

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to get some input/thoughts/advice on the AFAST, section complex movements area because I took the AFAST last week, haven’t gotten my scores back yet but I have a feeling I didn’t do to great, especially in that area. Reason being is that I only finished 21 out of 30 in the allowed time frame of 5min!

My question is this, 1. is it regular not to finish out all 30 or is it just me and 2. if I did not get my required score and when I go to study for my 2nd and final try is there any practice pointers out there that I don’t know about? Also in regard to my study practices on the 1st try I did memorize the arrow direction key so that was not an issue, just extremely out of time I felt!

Any advice or practice pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
Wish I could help you on that. Unfortunately, I can't remember much from when I took it back in 1992.

Yeah, it's been a while for me too. It wasn't computer-based testing when I took it (sounds like it is now based on the original post).

There used to be a study guide for AFAST you could get at bookstores near bases (I don't recall the name off hand, but it was in the same vein as the GMAT and SAT study guides). I purchased one to study a week or so before I took mine back in the day and did pretty well.

You may already have this info, but just in case it's news to you I figured a post wouldn't hurt.

Good luck!

Kelly

Puff Daddy, Kelly N. IWANNAFLY thank you all very much for your advice! I was starting to think this post was dead so I really appreciate your inputs/comments!

But unfortunately my worries were accurate cause I only scored a 81! Messed up big time, god I feel pretty stupid!

I must of messed up pretty bad somewhere else and I think I know where, the mechanical section keep asking about boat and I never remembered studying about boats, really threw me off!

Well I have 5 months from the end of this month to study, can anyone recommend any other study aids besides what I already have; ARCO 6th edition, Principles of Helicopter Flight, FAA Rotor craft Flying Handbook.

Thank you all again in advance!

P.S. IWANNAFLY,

Hows the cholesterol lowering plan going? Did you get your blood work back yet? We are all rooting for you!

1. Take the ARCO study guide's sample questions for complex movement and photocopy them.

2. Cut out each individual question (minus the question number) and paste it on a 3x5 card with the correct answer written (lightly, in pencil) on the back. Don't bother memorizing the key to the complex movements, since there are different versions of the test and you don't know (I don't even know) if the key is different for each test.

3. Practice so that you can look at the problem, look at the key, and easily pick out the answer. If you feel you've memorized the key or the answers to the cards, take a day or two off before you practice some more.

Good luck.

Linc,

Thank you very much for your advice! As for the flash cards I have already made them for the first time I took the test so for the next time I will try to study them in a different way!

Again thank you for your advice and by the way your comments (on this hp) have been very helpful to all of us aspiring WOFT, thank you!

• 1 month later...
Linc,

Thank you very much for your advice! As for the flash cards I have already made them for the first time I took the test so for the next time I will try to study them in a different way!

Again thank you for your advice and by the way your comments (on this hp) have been very helpful to all of us aspiring WOFT, thank you!

Haleyrcm,

if you send me a PM with your email address I can send you a PDF copy of the Arco study guide. I took the AFAST last month (paper version), best I can tell you in preparing for your second go-round is- time time TIME, I bought a timer and kept track of how I was doing with complex movements and cyclic orientation (those were the two sections that gave me trouble) I dropped maybe 2 or three from those sections on the actual test, but the more you stick to that study guide the better prepared you'll be for the test. As one prior poster said, copy the answer sheets and just keep testing yourself and watching your time on the sections- you'll develop a rhythm (LEFT is down; DOWN is left) you'll figure out what I'm referring to. Hope this helps.