Suggest a New Forum for all the SSH Threads

Admins / Mods:

What about creating a new forum for all the SSH posts / threads? This is going to go on for a few more weeks/months and its spreading through out the training/general Forum and it might help those trying to get answers or find new schools to put them into a single forum?

Just a thought..........

I'm with you Roger, I am already tired of bouncing between forums and SSH threads...and the added activity doesnt speed up the old server either !!

Sorry to hear the bad news to all affected...

However, I don't think we should start a whole new forum for this subject.

This site has long managed to keep its neutrality on a lot of issues, particularly those which are sensitive, or where specific business are involed.

I think starting a new forum, would perpetuate the anger which would inevitably bring us back close to the possibilities of slander, liability deformation and general hostility we fought to evade last year.

If SSH posts are kept to the current threads (maybe admins can merge them) then isn't that enough?

In fact, personally, if there is to be any sort of collective crussade, I'd rather see the name VR out of the picture.

Joker!

Edited by joker

I am sure everyone is sick of hearing about ssh but put yourself in our place. I think keeping it in the main topics is good for every one. It also serves us poor i mean bankrupt students see all replies and can learn alot from you experienced pilots. I personally appreciate all the input from everyone. I really liked the ones already looking to find the discounted helicopters. Hopefully some of you can benifit. Any way I wish I knew about this site along time ago and thanks for being here for us

Does anyone know what is going to happen to the helicopters? How long will it be until they go up for sale? Is there any truth to the rumor that SSH sold them all to private leasing companies last year? I saw that the FAA has 222 of them listed under their name, but you knows, they could have created two companies with the same name...

Admins / Mods:

What about creating a new forum for all the SSH posts / threads? This is going to go on for a few more weeks/months and its spreading through out the training/general Forum and it might help those trying to get answers or find new schools to put them into a single forum?

Just a thought..........

Thanks for the suggestion Brushfire21.....I hear you. That was my knee jerk thought when the news started hitting the forums yesterday AM. However, whenever a decision like that pops into my head, I make it a rule to use a little restraint and keep my initial urges in check. I am an "ease into things and keep options open" kinda guy.

Most of the initial discussion, the "spikes" will be regular joes like you and I sharing their initial opinions on the issue. After a week goes by, most of us will have gotten it out of our system and things will slow down a bit. Then I think there will be follow on minispikes as news and info unfold and the tidbits hit the forums. But hopefully not to a nuisance level.

Since this is an event that will have some ripple throughout a good chunk of the industry, I think it is of great interest to people in all sectors. It is an interesting case study no matter what sector you hail from.......student, ems, LE, GOM, ENG, Corporate, training......or whatever. Since the topic, interest and appeal is so broad, I still think it is best to leave it in this forum for the time being.

I thought that I would go about this in monitored phases. For now, I have asked for people to resist the urge to start a new thread and participate in existing threads when possible.

Finally, my biggest fear is that if I started a forum particularly for SSH discussion, it could run the risk of becoming the defacto place for students, employees, lawyers, and other movements to organize whatever efforts might occur. As the owner of many forums, I try and provide nuetral discussion mediums which do not directly support (or NOT) any one particular group or agency.

In the end, my vision may be short sighted and I may still have to do what you suggest, but I would rather not move in that direction right out of the gate.

Hope the visitors understand. This issue I believe will slow before long and those who are not interested will just have to deal with it in the short term.

Lyn,

What if you started a new category? You have General Helicopter, Training, Utility, EMS, etc. What if you just started one for Silver State and let everything go in there? That way it is still easily accessible from inside VR, but yet confined to one area. Everyone will know where to go to get the latest info and they can start as many topics as they want in that dedicated space. Just a thought.

Lyn,

Thankyou for your reply and I did see the sticky at the top. Truly, I am not trying to push them (Ex-SSH'ers) away or into there own corner, but was trying to do it so that new users would not have to hunt and peck through all the forums to find the info they needed. But I have to admit I was discouraged seeing several new users jumping onboard and bashing there ex-employer and creating havoc on what has been a very polite and organized board here.

I am perfectly happy reading thru and filtering what I want to read and not read on my own. It was just a suggestion, and that is all it was. But it was nice to see that I did have some support in the idea, with only one or two being negative about my suggestion.

To those effected by this ordeal, I do feel for you becuase this just was just plain not right what was done to you. But it happened, nothing that can be done at this point in time, except maybe try and make something positive out of this.

The forum needs to be renamed Silver State Reference.

I appreciatte the anguish and anger that these people are going through but it isn't necessary for each new person (many of whom didn't participate on this site until after the debacle) to start an entirely new thread on the topic.

Could we at least merge many of the new SSH threads that popped up after the closure as they all deal with the exact same topic.

Thanks

Edited by Fiasco

I think starting a new forum, would perpetuate the anger which would inevitably bring us back close to the possibilities of slander, liability deformation and general hostility we fought to evade last year.

Joker!

Joker, while I MOSTLY agree with you, this site is nothing more than one party line phone call...something that anyone not over 40 would have any idea what I am talking about !

You dont sue Ma Bell for making a party line available and you dont hold them accountable for what the people on that party line say. VR is simply the technical means to accomplish communication, what is said and by who, they are not responsible for. Any attempts at challenging that should be aggressivelty defended.

Enough said on that !

Goldy

this is a possibility, we'll discuss that behind the scenes and figure out what action to take.

To that end I renamed my St Louis SSH news lead in thread hopefully that will encourage people to post news links there instead of spawning a new thread.

this site is nothing more than one party line phone call.
VR is simply the technical means to accomplish communication, what is said and by who, they are not responsible for.

Goldy,

What you say is not necessarily how it happens in law. Generally the website owner, and everyone involved in the libelous communication is responsible for any libel on that website. e.g. If I type it, and you post it, we are both screwed!

Of course there are variations, exceptions and clauses otherwise. The nature of the site and its membership, the history, and other factors would be taken into account. As this is a moderated board, the owner automatically takes some responsibility!

THE FOLLOWING IS UK LAW - NOT US LAW: I don't know the exact wording of the US equivilent law! I put this up as example only.

Section 1(1) Defamation Act 1996 provides:-

"In defamation proceedings a person has a defence if he shows that:-

(a) he was not the author, editor or publisher of the statement complained of;

( B) he took reasonable care in relation to its publication; and

© he did not know, and had no reason to believe that what he did caused or contributed to the publication of a defamatory statement.

All three elements of the defence must be proved by the defendant.

In short, if the service provider, website owner etc.. knowingly lets any defamation reside, they could be found libel too.

Put it this way, I think the law of Cyberlibel and online defamation is so complex all over the world, that without being a lawyer, as a website owner / moderateor I wouldn't want to risk myself.

And the bottom line is defamation and slander is WRONG! - regardless of whose responsibility it is. We haven't stood for that here in this forum, before and there's no reason why we should start!

Joker

Edited by joker

I counted the other day and over 30% of the threads on both the general and flight training forum were SSH stuff, "View new posts" was over 50% from my last visit.

I am glad we can help these guys. IMO this is what we are here for. A temporary sub forum in the training area would be nice. "Flight School Help" or something to put this in for now, to avoid a blatant tie to SSH.

my .02

I thought this thread had been deleted, much to my surprise it was moved to the support area.

and see, you just thought we hated your idea.

I didn't think everybody hated the suggestion, and suspect that it could have gone that way. Its finally slowing down thank goodness, and another few weeks we'll be near "system normal" prior to the SSH fiasco.