multi-county helo unit

I live in Indiana and was wondering if anyone has thought about starting a multi-county helo unit?? The county I live in is approx. 1000sq miles,not that big but takes 35 minutes to drive across at best. I know the local county sheriff dept can not afford to hire one just for it self but why can't you combine several counties $$$ to buy the time for patrol to better serve the public?? Are there any$$ out there for such an adventure??? I don't know if you can pay for by drug forfeitures or what not. The counties buy time off of helo company to share for protection. Any comments would be great!!! Thanks Rick

I live in Indiana and was wondering if anyone has thought about starting a multi-county helo unit?? The county I live in is approx. 1000sq miles,not that big but takes 35 minutes to drive across at best. I know the local county sheriff dept can not afford to hire one just for it self but why can't you combine several counties $$$ to buy the time for patrol to better serve the public?? Are there any$$ out there for such an adventure??? I don't know if you can pay for by drug forfeitures or what not. The counties buy time off of helo company to share for protection. Any comments would be great!!! Thanks Rick

Rick,

I have often thought the same thing. I live in DeKalb Co. just North of Allen. I know if we could get the money around we can get a helicopter from the millitary through the DRMO. I don't know what kind of shape there in or how that whole thing work's, but I would be interested into looking into what could be done if anything.

Let me know,

Brett

There are several joint agency ships in Southern Cal. In fact I can think of 3 without even trying..so it wouldn't be the first time. It just takes a police chief that really wants to make it happen.

Goldy

Here is one example of a multi agency joint unit that shares helicopter costs/resources.

http://www.ci.pasadena.ca.us/police/AirSup...ps_laimpact.asp

Here is another where 2 or 3 of our own VR members fly at:

http://www.ci.santa-ana.ca.us/pd/airsupport.asp

Edited by Goldy

Rick:

I would start with Airborne Law Enforcement Association (ALEA).

http://www.alea.org

This is a great organization for the advancement of law enforcement use of aircraft. I belonged to them from 1980 to 1997 when I got promoted out of the air operations for the then U.S. Customs Service.

They have a great "how to" on starting an aivation operations even exactly what you are speaking of "share" use by more than one agency. They stay in touch with the ex-DoD stuff coming out and many started that way.

Check them out, they will be very helpful. Their training conferences (regional & national) are also all very good.

Good Luck,

Dean

Edited by edspilot

Rick:

I would start with Airborne Law Enforcement Association (ALEA).

http://www.alea.org

This is a great organization for the advancement of law enforcement use of aircraft. I belonged to them from 1980 to 1997 when I got promoted out of the air operations for the then U.S. Customs Service.

They have a great "how to" on starting an aivation operations even exactly what you are speaking of "share" use by more than one agency. They stay in touch with the ex-DoD stuff coming out and many started that way.

Check them out, they will be very helpful. Their training conferences (regional & national) are also all very good.

Good Luck,

Dean

Check out www.airsupport.org/

If you talk woth Rick, tell him Cowboydave says howdy.