OK National Guard WOFT

I previously looked at joining active duty through the WOFT program. Just as I was beginning to look into the process family issues came up preventing me from continuing on my path (baby with medical condition). That is now under control and I am now planning to move to Oklahoma.

Still very much interested in the WOFT program, I am now hoping to join the OK National Guard. Being several states away right now, I am having a difficult time finding a recruiter to assist me in putting together my packet. It seems that they either have no real interest or don't know how.

About me: 31 years old, 4 years USMC (1995-1999), Associates degree, top physical condition, last GT score of 126, and current rotorcraft pilot with ~500 hours TT (commercial, CFI, 300 dual given).

If anybody can lead me in the right direction to make this happen I would greatly appreciate it.

As well, any info on the Oklahoma rotorcraft units would be appreciated as well.

I previously looked at joining active duty through the WOFT program. Just as I was beginning to look into the process family issues came up preventing me from continuing on my path (baby with medical condition). That is now under control and I am now planning to move to Oklahoma.

Still very much interested in the WOFT program, I am now hoping to join the OK National Guard. Being several states away right now, I am having a difficult time finding a recruiter to assist me in putting together my packet. It seems that they either have no real interest or don't know how.

About me: 31 years old, 4 years USMC (1995-1999), Associates degree, top physical condition, last GT score of 126, and current rotorcraft pilot with ~500 hours TT (commercial, CFI, 300 dual given).

If anybody can lead me in the right direction to make this happen I would greatly appreciate it.

As well, any info on the Oklahoma rotorcraft units would be appreciated as well.

-EDIT-

I didn't see you were prior service, that should make things a little bit easier. Hopefully FLHooker, pops up in this thread to help you out.

Edited by AndrewT

I'm here!

First off, make sure you contact a NG recruiter if that's what you are trying to do, the AD recruiters can not put you in the Guard. The easiest way is to google OK helicopter units and see what pops up.

Also, when you call them, they may have issues with the fact that you are not currently in the military. Easy way around this is asking them to put you under the MOS 09W which is for WOCS.

Last thing, you don't really need a recruiter to put together a packet, I did mine without the help of a recruiter. The hardest thing is getting your flight physical. Once you contact the S1 (personnel) at the unit you are looking at, he will be able to tell you the easiest way to get hooked up with one.

Good luck!

CHAD

Thanks for the information. I am more than willing to put the packet together myself. Is there a list of items that I will need to include and/or complete somewhere? I have found conflicting info on the web.

From the way it sounds, I should find a unit that I would like to fly with first and contact S-1 to go from there and schedule physicals, AFAST, etc?

Please excuse the ignorance.

Regards, Josh

Josh,

Exactly. The unit you want to fly for can set everything up for you, including the AFAST. I will say that you MAY have to set up the flight physical yourself, which really isn't that big of a deal, however, the unit will need to give you a letter requesting the flight surgeon to give you the physical. ARCO makes an AFAST test prep book, that can be found at your local bookstore.

As a reference, check out this website, it will have everything you need to put your packet together.

http://usawocc.army.mil/

CHAD

Thanks for the assist Chad.

Following the leads you guys provided, I was able to squirrel my way into contact via email and following up with a phone call to a CWO with the unit I am looking at in Oklahoma. He said that he would be personally calling and forwarding an email on to the State Aviation Officer, and that I would likely hear from him.

Now I'd like to check a couple of things I was told and see if it is in line with what I should expect (and believe). The CWO said that I would be a shoe-in for the limited slots they have, being an instructor pilot with 500 hrs and prior service USMC. He did however say that since I am not currently in the military, I would need to enlist through the unit and then be slotted for WOCS. The way it sounded, I would enlist but with the intention of being put into the WOCS/WOFT training as soon as possible. I was told that I could be at WOCS within six months or so.

Does this sound right? Obviously, this CWO is not a recruiter so is not predisposed to misstatements (just kidding if anyone reading this is a recruiter....if not, I'm serious) but I want to assure that I do not enlist and then get shafted, not sent to WOCS/WOFT, and then be doomed to be a ground pounder.

I'm trying to avoid going through a recruiter so would asking to enlist under the MOS 09W still apply?

Again, thanks for your help.

Josh

Edited by Fidelis

Josh,

Luckily for you sir, there is an MOS specific to your situation... 09W WO candidate. Being prior Corps, I am pretty damn sure you won't have to do any conversion schools ( like the Blue to Green program AF guys have to do). Which means, you could potentially sent straight to WOCS. This of course is barring any crazy rules about how many years break in service you have. Just like you previously stated, I'm not a recruiter, nor claim to be, so don't quote me... I would imagine you can Google the Army MOS 09W and see what it says in there. Either way, seems like you are well on track to get in.

Question, what unit are you trying to get into? Hawks? HOOKS?!

CHAD

Chad,

I will ensure that ask for the 09W enlistment. I'm waiting on a call back right now but it may be a couple of days as the CWO who called me is supposed to be out of town for a few days. I'm sure that I will have many more questions pop up as I go through the process.

The unit that I am looking at fly Blackhawks.

Josh

Josh,

Exactly. The unit you want to fly for can set everything up for you, including the AFAST. I will say that you MAY have to set up the flight physical yourself, which really isn't that big of a deal, however, the unit will need to give you a letter requesting the flight surgeon to give you the physical. ARCO makes an AFAST test prep book, that can be found at your local bookstore.

As a reference, check out this website, it will have everything you need to put your packet together.

http://usawocc.army.mil/

CHAD

Fidelis,

Semper Fi brother! Hey I just took the AFAST about 2 weeks ago, I have the ARCO study guide on my flash drive, you can print the AFAST section out along with extra answer sheets...word of advice, get a timer/stop watch to judge how you are doing time wise with each section...- leave your email address or PM me and I'll email it to you.