Flying for NYPD

Hello to everyone,

I was just told that requirments for pilots in the NYPD, you need about 5 years of service before you can even be put on the list. I'm going to do some research on that statement, but if that is the case what are your chances of getting that position? Who knows how many officers are on that list. Anyone out there have some info on this? At the moment I have a chance to make the Police Academy for July of this year, but if my chances of becoming a pilot is slim I really dont know if I should even join. I will not mind becoming a officer but my main goal is to fly for them.

Any comments!!!

Ive heard from a friend inside NYPD that they're looking for pilots real hard. For someone with the ratings it was basically go to the academy and you're in with ASU. For an unrated pilot i think you've got to know someone and it didnt sound like they were too hot on doing or paying for initial training . I'd reccomend that if your heart is really in police work then go to the academy, work tons of overtime to pay for flight school on the weekends (if you have any free) and then try to get in. DISREGAD THE ABOVE STATEMENT IF YOU HAVE A GIRLFRIEND, WIFE, OR DOG...OR HAVE ANY DESIRE TO HAVE ONE.

Anyone feel free to correct me if my buddy was blowing smoke up my ass, but he's usually a pretty reliable source about this stuff.

Ive heard from a friend inside NYPD that they're looking for pilots real hard. For someone with the ratings it was basically go to the academy and you're in with ASU. For an unrated pilot i think you've got to know someone and it didnt sound like they were too hot on doing or paying for initial training . I'd reccomend that if your heart is really in police work then go to the academy, work tons of overtime to pay for flight school on the weekends (if you have any free) and then try to get in. DISREGAD THE ABOVE STATEMENT IF YOU HAVE A GIRLFRIEND, WIFE, OR DOG...OR HAVE ANY DESIRE TO HAVE ONE.

Anyone feel free to correct me if my buddy was blowing smoke up my ass, but he's usually a pretty reliable source about this stuff.

Thanks for the reply, it sounds pretty good. I think I'm going to try to get myself into the July academy and pursue the nypd aviation unit. I started my training for my PPL, so I guess I'm on the right track. Thanks again.