3 replies to this topic

#1 klas

klas

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:06

I was flipping through the channels the other day & saw parts of 'Blackhawk Down'; it reminded me of a question I'd been meaning to ask....

The scene where a soldier falls from the line in a blackhawk & is injured - the blackhawk does a little 'sidestep' (for lack of a better term) in a hover when fired upon by an enemy shooting a RPG to avoid being hit.

What exactly does the pilot do to get that movement when in a hover? How did he move the pedals, cyclic, etc...??

#2 FLHooker

FLHooker

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Company working for:NY National Guard

Posted 17 April 2008 - 19:01

While I don't remember exactly what happened in the MOVIE, adding lateral (left or right) cyclic gives the pilot a 'slide' meaning, the helicopter remains on the same heading just 'slides' either left or right. Adding lateral cyclic aggressively will put the helicopter (what amounts to) a bank at a hover.
Full right pedal, stare at the OAT gauge until impact...

#3 klas

klas

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:07

While I don't remember exactly what happened in the MOVIE, adding lateral (left or right) cyclic gives the pilot a 'slide' meaning, the helicopter remains on the same heading just 'slides' either left or right. Adding lateral cyclic aggressively will put the helicopter (what amounts to) a bank at a hover.

Thanks; it was definitely an aggressive move but it stayed put, no sliding to one side or another - maybe it was just the aggressive move of the cyclic.

#4 ErOk_OnE

ErOk_OnE

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:LOWER EAST ALABAMA>>>ARGGGGGHHHHHHHH
  • Company working for:Army Aviation

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:18

had to watch to movie..again for the 100th time...and yup...that movement was amazing.
See you in the Skies.
AVIATOR Q

SCOUTS OUT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

HeliHelmets-VR HomeBLR 200MaunaLoaVRHome200FreeFlight_Home200Guidance Home 200LakeSuperior200Genesys VR Forum 200Spectrum_VRHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200