Movie 'Blackhawk Down'...

I was flipping through the channels the other day & saw parts of 'Blackhawk Down'; it reminded me of a question I'd been meaning to ask....

The scene where a soldier falls from the line in a blackhawk & is injured - the blackhawk does a little 'sidestep' (for lack of a better term) in a hover when fired upon by an enemy shooting a RPG to avoid being hit.

What exactly does the pilot do to get that movement when in a hover? How did he move the pedals, cyclic, etc...??

While I don't remember exactly what happened in the MOVIE, adding lateral (left or right) cyclic gives the pilot a 'slide' meaning, the helicopter remains on the same heading just 'slides' either left or right. Adding lateral cyclic aggressively will put the helicopter (what amounts to) a bank at a hover.

While I don't remember exactly what happened in the MOVIE, adding lateral (left or right) cyclic gives the pilot a 'slide' meaning, the helicopter remains on the same heading just 'slides' either left or right. Adding lateral cyclic aggressively will put the helicopter (what amounts to) a bank at a hover.

Thanks; it was definitely an aggressive move but it stayed put, no sliding to one side or another - maybe it was just the aggressive move of the cyclic.

• 3 weeks later...