Montgomery G.I. Bill <_<

I was just informed that as a WO I don't qualify for the G.I. Bill only for loan repayment.

So for those of you that are interested in having the Army pay off your loans and become a WO than its no problem. If you want the G.I. Bill then your not going to get it.

BUT REMEMBER YOU STILL GET Tuition Assistance which is nice.

JUST A F.Y.I

I don't think that sounds right either. I joined enlisted with the goal of going warrant. I took the option of loan repayment instead of the GI Bill and was told that if I went Warrant prior to the Army finishing paying off my loans then the Army would stop paying my loans and I would have to pay the remainder on my own. I could have been told wrong though.

Blake

I was just informed that as a WO I don't qualify for the G.I. Bill only for loan repayment.

So for those of you that are interested in having the Army pay off your loans and become a WO than its no problem. If you want the G.I. Bill then your not going to get it.

BUT REMEMBER YOU STILL GET Tuition Assistance which is nice.

JUST A F.Y.I

Thats sounds about right, officers don't get the same education benefits as enlisted. As you mentioned, TA is a good benefit, it's 100%.. and you are eligible as soon as you enlist- no waiting period- can't beat that.

Also, if I remember correctly for reserves you need to enlist for 6 years to qualify for the GI Bill, Active duty you need to enlist for at least 4 years... thats what it was back in 98 when I went in, I know its changed a bit but not much.

Edited by Helo_Rookie

I don't think that sounds right either. I joined enlisted with the goal of going warrant. I took the option of loan repayment instead of the GI Bill and was told that if I went Warrant prior to the Army finishing paying off my loans then the Army would stop paying my loans and I would have to pay the remainder on my own. I could have been told wrong though.

Blake

As for you Blake... you joined ENLISTED, therefore you get the GI Bill benefits, if you join as a WOC or OCC you wouldnt get the GI Bill or any enlisted bonuses you may have gotten. What you were told is partially correct, I do know when you accept certain bonuses you generally have to serve a certain amount of time as an enlisted member or pay back a certain dollar amount if you cross over to an officer program prior to fulfilling the required enlisted time. The Army would go broke if everyone could sign up to max out all the enlisted bonuses then cross over to be a officer in 1-2 years and then get the officer bonus and keep the loan repayment and huge enlistment bonuses :o Sounds good in theory but it reality, its simply not an option.

Edited by Helo_Rookie

As for you Blake... you joined ENLISTED, therefore you get the GI Bill benefits, if you join as a WOC or OCC you wouldnt get the GI Bill or any enlisted bonuses you may have gotten. What you were told is partially correct, I do know when you accept certain bonuses you generally have to serve a certain amount of time as an enlisted member or pay back a certain dollar amount if you cross over to an officer program prior to fulfilling the required enlisted time. The Army would go broke if everyone could sign up to max out all the enlisted bonuses then cross over to be a officer in 1-2 years and then get the officer bonus and keep the loan repayment and huge enlistment bonuses :o Sounds good in theory but it reality, its simply not an option.

i agree 100%

Helo_Rookie,

What you say about the loan repayment thing makes sense (that I should have lost it if I had gone Warrant before it was paid off). I still don't understand the GI Bill thing though. I think it must work differently for people that join as a WO as opposed to people that join enlisted and become a WO. The reason I say this is that one of the WO's that I work with joined enlisted with the GI benefit and didn't lose anything when he became a WO. He's even used the GI Bill to top off what the TA didn't cover for his classes since he's become a WO. Also, it just makes more sense to me for the Army to offer the GI Bill before they would offer the loan repayment. It just seems more practical to offer you money that you might or might not spend than to offer you money for what you've already spent. I don't know any of this as fact and I'm not trying to say anyone's wrong (I haven't researched so I don't know). That's just what makes sense to me. I gave up the GI Bill when I chose the student loan reimbursement option so it doesn't really affect me, but for some reason curiosity is getting me on this one.

Blake

Guess you learn something new every day! But that leads me to a question...I get out of the Air Force as Active Duty Enlisted with 6 years TIS. If I decided to get loans for flight school and pay my way through like that, would joining up as a WO pay off my loans if I didn't use the GI Bill? Or would that not count as a "College Loan"?

Helo_Rookie,

I think it must work differently for people that join as a WO as opposed to people that join enlisted and become a WO. The reason I say this is that one of the WO's that I work with joined enlisted with the GI benefit and didn't lose anything when he became a WO. He's even used the GI Bill to top off what the TA didn't cover for his classes since he's become a WO. Also, it just makes more sense to me for the Army to offer the GI Bill before they would offer the loan repayment. It just seems more practical to offer you money that you might or might not spend than to offer you money for what you've already spent. I don't know any of this as fact and I'm not trying to say anyone's wrong (I haven't researched so I don't know). That's just what makes sense to me. I gave up the GI Bill when I chose the student loan reimbursement option so it doesn't really affect me, but for some reason curiosity is getting me on this one.

Blake

Blake, let me try and clear this up for you... the WO that you're working with.. joined Enlisted first then became a WO, he's earned his GI BIll benefits as an enlisted person (not sure how long he was enlisted) Whether or not he used them yet, (used to be 10year limit after discharge but thats changed now) those benfits are his, they will not be taken away because he's an officer now.

I'll use myself as an example, I did my time in the Marine Corps, I participated in the MGIB-Active duty, I've been out since 2002- I used some of my GI Bill in 2004-2005, now in 2008 I'm about to join the National Guard enlisted with intentions of going WO to fly- my original MGIB Benefits will not be affected by me becoming a WO, I won't be eligible to get the MGIB Kicker, or Loan Repayment unless I opt to stay enlisted for whatever the minimum time is (the fine print) but regardless of going enlisted/officer I have access to the 100% TA after I swear in. Make sense?

Guess you learn something new every day! But that leads me to a question...I get out of the Air Force as Active Duty Enlisted with 6 years TIS. If I decided to get loans for flight school and pay my way through like that, would joining up as a WO pay off my loans if I didn't use the GI Bill? Or would that not count as a "College Loan"?

Don't quote me on this but I believe Loan repayment is only for Education/College loans, so if you take a long out for civilian flight school (which is considered vocational training, not education/college) it'll be on you to pay it back. Also, just and fyi if you don't already know, the GI BIll reimburses (paid on the back end) for 60% of a Part 141 aproved flight school program for commercial ratings and above, hence you have to pay for your PPL out-of-pocket.

I am curious as to who told you that you can't get the GI Bill. I heard the same thing when I came into the WOFT program off the street, but when I talked to the Finance people at basic they said that I qualified for it.

So, I paid in my $100 dollars a month for one year and I have the GI Bill. I was never enlisted. That was 5 years ago, but I would bet that you can still get it as a Warrant Officer. At least for active duty.

ryan

I am curious as to who told you that you can't get the GI Bill. I heard the same thing when I came into the WOFT program off the street, but when I talked to the Finance people at basic they said that I qualified for it.

So, I paid in my $100 dollars a month for one year and I have the GI Bill. I was never enlisted. That was 5 years ago, but I would bet that you can still get it as a Warrant Officer. At least for active duty.

ryan

Technically you were enslited since you had to go through basic training and AIT, you didnt become a WO until you completed WOCS so that would explain how you signed up for the GI Bill, its offered to you in Boot Camp/Basic training, and based off the fact you owed the Army 6 year's period. (whether you successfully became a WO/Aviator or not- you'd serve that comittment enlisted if you couldn't pass WOCS, yeah, you're qualified) .

Not sure how they do the stree-to-seat options A/D, but since you did come in ENLISTED first that gave you access to the GI Bill. TODAY as far as the National Guard, WOC's and OCS applicants (off the street) don't get the GI Bill, and if you accept those ENLISTED bonuses and cross over prior to served the required time, your enlisted TIS is pro-rated against the required time and you may end up having to pay back a portion of those bonuses.

Don't quote me on this but I believe Loan repayment is only for Education/College loans, so if you take a long out for civilian flight school (which is considered vocational training, not education/college) it'll be on you to pay it back. Also, just and fyi if you don't already know, the GI BIll reimburses (paid on the back end) for 60% of a Part 141 aproved flight school program for commercial ratings and above, hence you have to pay for your PPL out-of-pocket.

Yeah got that word. That sucks! Hopefully they will get that fixed with the GI Bill reform they are talking about right now. One of the plans, I think Webb..Webber...something like that, plans to pay for 100% of your college PLUS a monthly dividend to help with housing, etc. Oh well...even if it doesn't pay for it all it will pay for some of it.

Technically you were enslited since you had to go through basic training and AIT, you didnt become a WO until you completed WOCS so that would explain how you signed up for the GI Bill, its offered to you in Boot Camp/Basic training, and based off the fact you owed the Army 6 year's period. (whether you successfully became a WO/Aviator or not- you'd serve that comittment enlisted if you couldn't pass WOCS, yeah, you're qualified) .

Not sure how they do the stree-to-seat options A/D, but since you did come in ENLISTED first that gave you access to the GI Bill. TODAY as far as the National Guard, WOC's and OCS applicants (off the street) don't get the GI Bill, and if you accept those ENLISTED bonuses and cross over prior to served the required time, your enlisted TIS is pro-rated against the required time and you may end up having to pay back a portion of those bonuses.

Technically I was enlisted (no AIT, just Basic, and it was only a 3 year commitment if you fail WOCS). I get that, but then where is it possible to go directly into WOCS? I was under the impression that you had to go through some level of Basic training (I did). And if you are going through an entry level training then you would be enlisted at that time and eligible for the GI Bill.

Also, the original post said nothing about it being an NG or reserve position verses an active position (and I mentioned in my post that I was specifically talking about active duty), and I was just trying to let people know that I came in (Active Duty) with no prior service through the Warrant Officer Flight Training Program and I have the GI Bill.

So.... I was just letting those reading know what my case was and maybe in the future blanket statements about a subject should not be made unless it is known 100% that it is true for all cases. Unless, of course, your goal is misinformation, and if that is the case, then post away. But realize that the whole objective of the forum will then be lost.

Technically I was enlisted (no AIT, just Basic, and it was only a 3 year commitment if you fail WOCS). I get that, but then where is it possible to go directly into WOCS? I was under the impression that you had to go through some level of Basic training (I did). And if you are going through an entry level training then you would be enlisted at that time and eligible for the GI Bill.

Also, the original post said nothing about it being an NG or reserve position verses an active position (and I mentioned in my post that I was specifically talking about active duty), and I was just trying to let people know that I came in (Active Duty) with no prior service through the Warrant Officer Flight Training Program and I have the GI Bill.

So.... I was just letting those reading know what my case was and maybe in the future blanket statements about a subject should not be made unless it is known 100% that it is true for all cases. Unless, of course, your goal is misinformation, and if that is the case, then post away. But realize that the whole objective of the forum will then be lost.

Funny guy ;)

To clarify your "misinformation" statement, my sole purpose is to provide accurate information based off my experiences and dispell those ridiculous myths than many "believe" "heard" or "think"... I speak off what I know. Another FYI. It is possible to enlist directly for WOCS in the Guard, its the 09W option, generally its used for techincal warrants but SOME and I did say SOME states use it for aviators as well. With my enlisted background in the Corps I could do an 09W to be a 210A in the guard IF I wanted to go that route but obviously I don't ;)

Now, about your active duty info... if you look CLOSELY you'll see where I stated Im not sure how they do the Active WOFT deals... so your .02 was the perfect fit to what I have been explaining for the Guard side of the house- its amazing what can happen team work is applied. The objective of the forum is lost when people like yourself read waaaaaaaaaay too far in to a post and take offense to emotionless letters on a screen B) we're all here to help each other out bro ;) I look forward to your next post...

Yeah got that word. That sucks! Hopefully they will get that fixed with the GI Bill reform they are talking about right now. One of the plans, I think Webb..Webber...something like that, plans to pay for 100% of your college PLUS a monthly dividend to help with housing, etc. Oh well...even if it doesn't pay for it all it will pay for some of it.

Yeah, Jim Webb (D-VA)... I hope they do reform it, every little bit helps! Of course if the housing stipend does go through I'm SOL by about 3 year's too bad they didn't think of it back in 04 when I was having fun commuting for undergrad :lol: Thats the best 1200 bucks I've ever spent!

Here is the info on the GI Bill from VA.gov

Active Military

https://www.gibill2.va.gov/vba/vba.cfg/php....amp;p_topview=1

Reserves and National Guard

https://www.gibill2.va.gov/vba/vba.cfg/php....2hfdGV4dD0zMA**

I checked out the sites..thanx.

Even officers who go to OCS directly are eligible for the G.I. Bill. I can find nothing that says persons going to WOCS are not afforded the same. The only folks who are not eligible are those who went to a service academy or took a loan repayment plan as part of their enlistment/commissioning contract.

Even officers who go to OCS directly are eligible for the G.I. Bill. I can find nothing that says persons going to WOCS are not afforded the same. The only folks who are not eligible are those who went to a service academy or took a loan repayment plan as part of their enlistment/commissioning contract.

Thanks...for the info...i am calling the VA to specifically ask them about my situation.