A2CU vs "The Pickle Suit"

So is it true? I've heard rumors of the pickle suit dissappearing soon and being replaced with the a2cu. Say it aint so! Say it aint so!

Does anyone have anything on this?

So is it true? I've heard rumors of the pickle suit dissappearing soon and being replaced with the a2cu. Say it aint so! Say it aint so!

Does anyone have anything on this?

When you get your issue of stuff prior to starting flying (helmet, etc), you'll get A2CU's. They suck. That's about it. I was one of the first classes to get them (Back last August).

I eventually went to the surplus store "down the way" and got a brand new green suit for like $180. My only regret is that I waited so long to do it, and that it's too price prohibitive to get more.

My unit at home was also forced to turn in all of their green one pieces, in anticipation of getting the ACU version issued. We're wearing the desert one and two pieces though, so that's something. I think that's going to turn into a bit of a "I've been around longer than you. You don't even have a desert flight suit" thing. :shrug: We'll see.

When you get your issue of stuff prior to starting flying (helmet, etc), you'll get A2CU's. They suck. That's about it. I was one of the first classes to get them (Back last August).

I eventually went to the surplus store "down the way" and got a brand new green suit for like $180. My only regret is that I waited so long to do it, and that it's too price prohibitive to get more.

My unit at home was also forced to turn in all of their green one pieces, in anticipation of getting the ACU version issued. We're wearing the desert one and two pieces though, so that's something. I think that's going to turn into a bit of a "I've been around longer than you. You don't even have a desert flight suit" thing. :shrug: We'll see.

do you know when the green suit will no longer be allowed in service? does anyone know? Cause if if it's still serviceable for the next couple of years.....

That sucks, not that the A2CU's don't look good, but the green "pickle" suit and desert flight suits were distinct- you knew the aviation crowd from everyone else, not to mention they just look better in my opinion.

Edited by Helo_Rookie

I have to say I am surprised one piece flight suits are still in the inventory at all in the Army. In 1992 the ABDU was being issued to all pilots to the dismay of everyone. It was pointed out that one piece flight suits would be out of the inventory in a year. Now it is 16 years later and the same angst still exists. Everyone wants to keep the one piece because it is "cool".

I don't know if it is a sign of things to come but I was just told the Navy will no longer be ordering green flight suits. They are switching to all tan. I suppose it saves money not having to issue two types. Which means the Marine Corps and the Coast Guard will be following suit as they use the same contract. So green flight suits may soon be a thing of the past.

The 'wear out' date for black boots with the flight suit AND the old style brown (BDU Brown) undershirt is at the end of this month. Once the switch happens, all boots must be tan and the undershirt has to be the ACU tan (if you can actually find it in 100% cotton) or Green.

I don't like it. I think the tan boots with the flight suit looks like crap

CHAD