Silly Dilema

rodrop

Ok, here's one for you experienced pilots. I have to wear reading glasses to see/read the checklists, other then that, my eyesight is pretty good. My challenge is...reading the checklist, taking my glasses off (oh, hand on the collective) and then trying to figure out if I should also take the time to put sunglasses on... My CFI is pretty cool and I hand over control to him (verbally) when I take my reading glasses off, but what am I going to do when I actually start flying by myself? :blink:

Anybody have a similar challenge?

Maybe get one of those chain thingies.. or those floater things that you connect to the back of your glasses, so that when you don't need it, you can hang it around your neck. Shouldn't been too much in the way with it around your neck.

If you only need them to read, head down to your local eye shop and have them make a pair of sunglasses using the transition tinting lenses and put a small bifocal in the bottom of the lens.

Best of both worlds and works fine.

And yes, put them on a string so you always have them with you...

Also remember: The only thing to rush in a helicopter, is getting the collective down when all goes quiet.

Take your time. Cover the collective with your leg and advise your instructor that you are doing so, so he knows that you are in control of the aircraft. Take your glasses off and stow them. Put on your sunglasses and enjoy flying.

Edited by RotorRunner

Use a pair of bi-focal flip ups.

I use a pair from Scheyden.

They come in several styles and are easy to use.

With sunglass lenses or without.

Their website is: www.scheyden.com

I pop them open and closed quickly with two fingers from either hand.

No hassle from headset or ball cap.

gft

I hope my vision stops getting worse. I can see really good up close but every year my eyes seem to worsen for almost two years on my distance. I just hope it dosent get to the point of me not being able to start flying.

Also remember: The only thing to rush in a helicopter, is getting the collective down when all goes quiet.

Take your time. Cover the collective with your leg and advise your instructor that you are doing so, so he knows that you are in control of the aircraft. Take your glasses off and stow them. Put on your sunglasses and enjoy flying.

Thanks, good suggestion...but now, you have me trying to visualize covering the collective with my leg..hmmm

I hope my vision stops getting worse. I can see really good up close but every year my eyes seem to worsen for almost two years on my distance. I just hope it dosent get to the point of me not being able to start flying.

that would suck...I hope that does not happen to you..

Use a pair of bi-focal flip ups.

I use a pair from Scheyden.

They come in several styles and are easy to use.

With sunglass lenses or without.

Their website is: www.scheyden.com

I pop them open and closed quickly with two fingers from either hand.

No hassle from headset or ball cap.

gft

Very good suggestion..thanks I will check this site out..thank you

If you only need them to read, head down to your local eye shop and have them make a pair of sunglasses using the transition tinting lenses and put a small bifocal in the bottom of the lens.

Best of both worlds and works fine.

And yes, put them on a string so you always have them with you...

thank you, good idea

Thanks, good suggestion...but now, you have me trying to visualize covering the collective with my leg..hmmm

Just bend your left knee slightly and slide the upper part of you leg over the collective just enough that it can't rise. And yes, there are aircraft out there that the collective will creep up slowly if not held down by some means other that the friction.

that would suck...I hope that does not happen to you..
Its not extremely bad but bad in my opinion. Around 7th grade I got glasses because stuff was fuzzy far away but I really never used them up until 9th or 10th grade for seeing the chalk board from far distance. Now that Im 21, I wear them all the time, take them off everything is fuzzy far away. Got a new prescription in July or August and since then, it seems worse. objects were clear when the new pres. but now its not so much. And Im against having lasik because no one really knows any long term affects yet since its so new.

Its not extremely bad but bad in my opinion. Around 7th grade I got glasses because stuff was fuzzy far away but I really never used them up until 9th or 10th grade for seeing the chalk board from far distance. Now that Im 21, I wear them all the time, take them off everything is fuzzy far away. Got a new prescription in July or August and since then, it seems worse. objects were clear when the new pres. but now its not so much. And Im against having lasik because no one really knows any long term affects yet since its so new.

I'm sorry that you have to go thru that... 21 is awfully young to have fuzzy eye sight. There is lasik and a few options out there...but you do have to be careful, there are risks... (I helped a few doctors do presentations on lasik when it first came out...) and you definitely need to know them. Night vision problems is one of them...so you do have to be careful.

I like glasses, I think glasses add personality to people and their faces... just you have to find the right prescription.

I'm sorry that you have to go thru that... 21 is awfully young to have fuzzy eye sight. There is lasik and a few options out there...but you do have to be careful, there are risks... (I helped a few doctors do presentations on lasik when it first came out...) and you definitely need to know them. Night vision problems is one of them...so you do have to be careful.

I like glasses, I think glasses add personality to people and their faces... just you have to find the right prescription.

Yeah I have read about risks and problems about lasik. Thats why i dont want lasik. Also is there any kind of vitamins or herbs that help vision? I saw a vitamin/herb supplement called eyesight rx. I have been trying to research information on it, such as FDA approved. It was deleveloped by a MD. So my research continues.

Advancing age also typically reduces our ability to focus at close distances, hence the prevalence of bifocals on the 50+ set (like me). I had a really hard time adjusting to wearing bifocals since my distance vision is still 20/20 and the blurry line between the reading lens and uncorrected distance vision bothered me.

My eventual solution was to get “progressive” bifocals, where the correction is blended out rather than being a sudden demarcation in the lens. These work so well that I wear them constantly and forget I even have them on. I also had mine made with the transition region lower on the lens than is normal since when I’m flying most of what I want to read is on my kneeboard rather than in front of me. Trouble is, progressive lenses are lots more expensive than regular bifocals and usually aren’t covered by vision care plans even if you’re lucky enough to have that coverage.

You’ll soon find that swapping glasses on and off in the cockpit is a royal pain and is probably a safety hazard, too. It’s not just “read the checklist and put them away”, you know. What about charts and navlogs and radio freqs and all the other stuff you should have (or be writing down) on your kneeboard?

Fortunately there’s a low cost solution that will at least get you through your training: Stick-on reading lenses. For under $20 you can buy flexible plastic Cheater lenses that you can put on your sunglasses and have instant, unobtrusive bifocals. Try Googling “ stick-on reading lenses” and you’ll find tons of sources. You can move the lenses up and down on your sunglasses until you find the best location for them, and even move them onto a different pair of glasses if your Ray-Bans get scratched up. Take your checklist down to the local drugstore and try out different lens strengths to see what works best for you before you order. Just be sure to test the lenses out at the exact distance you’ll be using in the cockpit.

Sorry to go on at length and sound like an advertisement, but having been through the same ordeal I want to assure you that the near/ far distance issue really doesn’t have to be a problem. :D

Advancing age also typically reduces our ability to focus at close distances, hence the prevalence of bifocals on the 50+ set (like me). I had a really hard time adjusting to wearing bifocals since my distance vision is still 20/20 and the blurry line between the reading lens and uncorrected distance vision bothered me.

My eventual solution was to get “progressive” bifocals, where the correction is blended out rather than being a sudden demarcation in the lens. These work so well that I wear them constantly and forget I even have them on. I also had mine made with the transition region lower on the lens than is normal since when I’m flying most of what I want to read is on my kneeboard rather than in front of me. Trouble is, progressive lenses are lots more expensive than regular bifocals and usually aren’t covered by vision care plans even if you’re lucky enough to have that coverage.

You’ll soon find that swapping glasses on and off in the cockpit is a royal pain and is probably a safety hazard, too. It’s not just “read the checklist and put them away”, you know. What about charts and navlogs and radio freqs and all the other stuff you should have (or be writing down) on your kneeboard?

Fortunately there’s a low cost solution that will at least get you through your training: Stick-on reading lenses. For under $20 you can buy flexible plastic Cheater lenses that you can put on your sunglasses and have instant, unobtrusive bifocals. Try Googling “ stick-on reading lenses” and you’ll find tons of sources. You can move the lenses up and down on your sunglasses until you find the best location for them, and even move them onto a different pair of glasses if your Ray-Bans get scratched up. Take your checklist down to the local drugstore and try out different lens strengths to see what works best for you before you order. Just be sure to test the lenses out at the exact distance you’ll be using in the cockpit.

Sorry to go on at length and sound like an advertisement, but having been through the same ordeal I want to assure you that the near/ far distance issue really doesn’t have to be a problem. :D

All comments are excellent...yours, however may be more financially feasible. I will definitely look this up... thank you very much...

I have tri focal with photo chromatic lenses, tried vary focal could not get on with them, started with near site fuzzy. had half glasses with bifocal lenses for years, Map on lap & panel both ok if you went this way you would not have to take them on & off.

helicodger is correct it is a pain changing glasses, + in UK you have to carry spare set don't know about US