My Packet Progress

Took the AFAST on Friday. I scored a 129. My Gt score is 113. No criminal record. Eyesight 20/35 20/20. Good physical condition PT score 270. I'm a PFC in the army with 9 months in. I plan on putting my packet in by September. Next week I'm going to try to get scheduled to take the flight physical. I'm currently stationed at Ft. Hood. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Took the AFAST on Friday. I scored a 129. My Gt score is 113. No criminal record. Eyesight 20/35 20/20. Good physical condition PT score 270. I'm a PFC in the army with 9 months in. I plan on putting my packet in by September. Next week I'm going to try to get scheduled to take the flight physical. I'm currently stationed at Ft. Hood. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sounds good, your well on your way to becoming a WO.

Get your thoughts together for your "Why I Want to be an Army Aviator". Make sure your credit is good. No outstanding, delinquent debts, etc.

Get your Letters of Recommendation ready, they should be applicable to you as an individual and not so general that they could apply to anyone.

Not sure what i left out...but others on the forum will chime in.

Hope that helps.

It surely couldn't hurt. I didn't have any hours at all...but i had experience in the military and also caught a break with some great LOR's from some good people.

Do anything, (within the army values) to make you more competitive than the next guy.

I agree with Blake. He's a human being so be yourself...be respectful but confident. Work out your answers fully. Don't hesitate to ask questions if you feel encouraged to do so. Have some ready before the interview. But don't be afraid to throw them out if the conversation/interview takes a different turn.

You'll be fine.

Sidenote: Don't call him 'Chief' most pilots don't like that. Don't call him Chief Warrant Officer 4th class, that's improper terminology. It's Chief Warrant Officer 4.

Just call him Mr XXXXXX. That's one of the proper ways to address him, as well as the most accepted.

CHAD

Roger. I feel some of my NCOs trying to hold me back. They can always get another private. On a better note I hovered a helicopter for the first time today. It was amazing. I am drained now. Are any of you guys stationed at Ft. Hood?

What do you mean "hold you back?" No worries...though once your packet is in, and you've been QS'd (qualified selected), your nco's cant touch you. I'm not sure why they would hold you back unless you have had a negative enlistment, which from reading your posts i doubt. However if they are giving you are time simply because they are hating on you then i can offer this advice.

Before the military i worked in corporate America. I was successful both financially and with my career. Then 911 happened. I left that, came into the reserves, and stayed on active duty for pretty much my entire contract. And now im in japan as an english teacher.

From 8th grade to where i find myself now, and undoubtedly in my future endeavors, I have always run into the "haters". Those people that could never do for the betterment of themselves, that try to push their limitations upon you with their negativity, or their current position. My aforementioned experiences, although broad in location, maturity, and career, have all had this common thread. Sure I've worked with great people, however you'll always find those few that make it to a certain point, with no desire to push further, that will try to keep you down, beneath them.

You'll encounter this always, and the best way to handle these "special" individuals is just to be the best you can be for yourself. Dont become complacent at work, and give them ammunition against you. Strive to be the best and give no reason to bring negative admonishment to you.

Be respectful, never allowing position to overshadow, your servant leadership. Always lead by example, even as a private, i did so as an E2-e4 in the military, and was given, (although against the AFI), a position of leadership above e7's. I don't say this to boast only to encourage you to bust your ass and work hard until the day comes when you get that call, or email stating you've been selected.

I'll get off the soap box now...i'm sure FLHooker and the rest of the VR members can back me up on this and offer up even more advice when dealing with "special" people.

take care.

Edited by ErOk_OnE

Linc, HA!!

Erok, F'em. Do your thing, ignore the terds. Don't get caught in the crap.

FLHooker, thats what i was telling Konig. He said that he was having trouble with his NCO's. So i gave some of my life experiences...and hoped that you guys would chime in.

Konig, like 'Hook' said...F'em. DO your thing.

Sounds good, Kind of a slow process, my platoon sergeant is leaving and the nco taking his place kinda owes me so hopefully he'll let me square my physical stuff away. To get my degree requires me to have my pilots license, should I just go ahead and get it or should I wait to see if my packet gets accepted? I'm kinda at a dilemma because it cost a lot of money to get a rotary wing license.

If you have the money, I would suggest it, it's NOT required, but I know it helped me when I was going through Rucker, having some base of knowledge. Plus, having more hours is not a bad thing.

I disagree. Why spend thousands for a Private, when, if he gets accepted, $100 will get him his commercial/instrument?

Hundreds of people per year who have never even seen the inside of a helicopter, never mind piloted one, get through the course with no major difficulties. He's already got some hours, so he's got that going for him. Why spend the money, that if he gets accepted, would really be a waste?

My $.02

I'm Cheap, so I wouldn't want to spend the money. Agreed. However, personally speaking, I know my limited knowledge prior to Rucker helped me out big time. In addition, if you already have a PPL, You can log all your 67 time as PIC. When it comes down to it, you really need to decide for yourself.

CHAD

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm just waiting on my dental to finish my phase 1. I had my eyes examined and I passed barely, I have 20/20 but I guess I have an astigmatism in my left eye. The doc told me once I got in the program they wouldn't care.

Once I finish my physical I'm gonna get my letters of recommendation and the rest of my resume together. I'm still trying to have it in by September. I figure once I have it finished and submitted I most likely wont get excepted the first, second time because I have no college, deployments and not to much college. But, once I get deployed I'll make E5 over there and I'll resubmit it. I know you can put it in two months, and then is it every six months after that. If so I'm just going to keep updating it and submitting it.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...