Helmets in SMALL Helicopters

RDRickster

Do you wear a helmet in any of the following SMALL helicopters:

B2B, R22, B47, UH-12, 280FX/F28F, 300C/CB/CBi

(any other 2-3 place helicopter that I forgot)

Also, please tell us what kind of flying are you doing (recreational, casual, line patrol, training, time building, instruction, etc).  I'm already preparing for the arguement that there should NOT be any distinction between larger helicopters and 2-3 place helicopters where the use of helmets is concerned.

If you feel that helmets are a must for any helicopter, please defend your position.  Personally, I don't wear a helmet when flying because most of my flying is casual or time building.  If I were flying line patrol or in remote wilderness locations, a helmet would be part of my mission profile.

I wouldn't ride a motorcycle without a helmet, but I'll fly an R22 without one because you are statistically more likely to be in an accident in a motorcycle or car than you are flying a helicopter.  Now, I certainly believe that "it could happen to me," and that's one of the reasons I'm a little more detail oriented than others I've seen in the cockpit. In the grand scheme of implementing proper control measures for the associated risk, wearing a helmet in such a small aircraft may actually create a hazard and outweigh the benefits.

That sounds good, but it's total bull$hit.  The real reason I don't wear a helmet when flying small helicopters is comfort and personal preference.  I hope that isn't perceived as cockiness, but I've flown other small helicopters (R22 Mariner, B2B, 280FX, and B47) and it doesn't make sense for the kind of flying I do.  What about you?

Wore one all through training.  The flight school had ones that we could borrow, so I got into the habit quite early on in the game.  

I still wear the lid, even when I'm ferrying across the country, since you never know when you'll get unforcasted moderate/severe turbulence (been there, done that one, still have the scratches in the helmet.  Had a major headache even with a lid, hate to know what would have happened if I hadn't been wearing one), a bird decides to say hello :;): , or you have a mechanical problem.   Besides, a properly fitted helmet will beat a headset when it comes to reducing noise in the cockpit.  Hey, and you look sooo cool too !!!!!! :;):  :D  :thumb:

Cheers

I used to only wear headsets when I was learning/instructing. At the schools I went to/ taught at, almost nobody wore a helmet. Only one guy I knew wore a helmet for training and he was sometimes ridiculed for wearing it. I think if you went to a school where a lot of pilots/ instructors wore them you might be inclinded to get/ wear one faster. I would have bought one myself but they do cost a lot of money +800$ for an SPH5. The Alphas and Gallets are even more expensive.

I now fly an R44 (police) and my company provides one. Now I wouldn't fly without one. I think they are great (no more sunglasses). To me there just isn't a reason not to wear one (Unless you don't fit into the helicopter I guess) but I wouldn't force it onto anyone. I don't agree that they (SPH5) are quieter than a headset. I spent a lot of time looking sideways and down and it seems the helmet always is catching some wind. (We fly without doors). They are very comfortable if they are adjusted right.

If I now had to fly an R22 again I would definitly wear my helmet whether I was instructing or just touring around. I would like to try some different types of helmets as there are many of them that are a lot lighter.

Here's the website on Gentex (SPH5)...

http://www.gentex.net/LifeSupport/HS-Home.htm

Where can I find info on the Alpha and Gallet?

I fly with the Bose Aviation-X ANR, and I have to say that it has been worth every penny.  Those things are completely awesome... very quite, and you can hear much better (especially strange noises).

Here is the link for the Aus Gallet sight. I spoke with them when I was first looking for mine, really nice guys, just out of my price range.

I want to put this back the other way, as side from an inability to physically fit in the aircraft, can anyone come up with a good reason not to wear one.

Reasons that dont count:

1) Makes the pax uncomfortable, you could give any number of reasons as to why you wear the helmet to reasure them, comfort and beter noise attenuation spring to mind easily.

2) The flying Im doing isnt risk, not even going to bother explaining that one.

3) Nobody else where I fly wears one, see explination for 2.

4) anyothers which under examination dont make sense , such as it mucks up my hair.

Jokes aside I am yet to hear one good reason to not wear one.

When I first started flying, I spoke with my initial instrutor about getting a helmet, who advised me against it. Saying its harder to get work with, not ness, ect.........

Ater reading a series of stories of pilots who survived accidents because they wore one, and those who didnt because they didnt, I came to the conclusion that there is no justification for not wearing one.

RD you just spent alot of money on survival gear, its much easier to use when youre conscious. Speaking of which, I think that is possibly the best argument to wear one, staying conscious after an accident/incident could be the part that saves youre life. There are a few times (not helo) where after a good bang to the head, had I not been wearing a helmet I wouldnt be here annoying you guys with this post.

Most of us fell pretty confident that the helo is going to keep working for us, and that an engine failure may be realatively unlikely. But the thing is that most accidents are pilot error, hitting terrain, dynamic roll over, ect....

While some things are unsurvivable, the helmet may save you from yourself.

BDR I agree with you that there isn't much difference in noise cancellation with a helmet when flying the R44.  For some reason, the noise is about the same.  I ended up having to put an earplug in my right ear when doing vert ref work.  Move to a 500, and you'll see a big difference, door on or off.  I have 2300 hours of hanging out the side of a 500, and on the times I had to wear a headset, I noticed a big difference.  There is also the fact that an SPH5 works great at keeping the ol' head warm in the winter !!! :D   Try hanging out the door in -20 weather with just a headset on !!!  It wasn't fun with a helmet, less so with a headset. :;):

Cheers

p.s. I can understand not wearing one if you're flying a multi-engined heli on execu-hauling duties.  Lid doesn't really go with a shirt and tie.   :;):  :D

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have to agree with your comments Gummy I see no good reason why you should not wear a helmet.

Personally I place the wearing of a helmet in the same category as wearing safety belts I would not step into a car nor an aircraft without strapping in.

However it does come down to personal preference.

Anyone wanting info on both Alpha Eagle and HGU 56/P helmets then try dropping these guy's an email info@aviation-helmets.co.nz. They went out of the way in helping me select a helmet and supplied great payment options.

• 5 weeks later...
Gentlemen & Ladies. Here is another reason that helmets are a must in helicopters. While I was at Fort Rucker for flight school a student and his insructor were on a training flight. Both wearing helmets and flying in a Jet Ranger TH-67. FORGET about its size for a second because this could happen to you helmets or no helmets. The instructor had a pair of military issue aviator sunglasses on and both his clear and tinted helmet visors were up. Then WHAM a B.1.R.D. (Bird) struck the instructor's windshield, shattering it and the bird struck the insructors nose breaking it and then his jaw, cknocking him unconcious and he slumped over the cyclic. The Helicopter entered a dive and the second student in the back seat reached over the seat and grabed the instructors shoulder harness and pulled him off the controls. The Student on the controls recovered and landed the helicopter. A Huey Medevac (Flatiron) was on scene in 30 minutes. the insructor recovered from his injuries and was back flying 6 months later. Moral of this story. Regardless of what helicopter you are in. Wear a HELMET ogh and VISOR DOWN. The US Army safety center at Fort Rucker determined the instructor would have not ben knocked unconcious if the visors would have been down. The 35 hour student and rear passenger were awarded the US ARMy Safety Center Broken Rotor Award. Good Job Guys. Ask yourself this. How many times have you had to turn to avoid hitting a darn bird while flying a helicopter. Just think if you were alone in a R-22 Fiddle F%&King around with a radio or fixated on RPM when a B1RD comes your way. You better be wearing a helmet. Fly safe my fellow rotorheads. Next time you see someone chastizing someone for wearing a helmet tell him my story and tell him to shut the.. well you know UP They are just jealous that they cant afford a $800 piece of Safety Equipment. Please dont tell me the chastizer was a flight instructor. If it was tell him to RE-Read the FOI Fundamentals of flight instructing then trade in his or her $1000 Bose noise atenuating headset in for a Brain Bucket

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry to raise the dead.

I wear a Helmet 300CBi, and clear Visor with sunglasses I had a tinted visor but it seemed to have too much glare, ohh well

Here's a nice story told to me before I started training.

A pilot is landing in a confined area after a long day with a bucket. He's a high time guy who hasn't worn a helmet in years. Just before touchdown his helicopter's main blades strike a tree branch. He touches down an instant later and a chunk of the blade comes loose and rips into the cabin. It neatly removes his entire left ear. End of story.

To hear pilots say they choose not to wear one because of comfort, well I'm not sure how to take that. Kinda like those people who don't wear a car's seat belt because it wrinkles their suit or dress.

There isn't a single heli pilot out there who hasn't had an instance where a helmet would be a nice thing to have... except for those who haven't had that experience yet.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to wear a helmet. I can't say it is up there above a few flight lessons yet but I will get one for sure when I'm working in the industry. It just seems safer. I wouldn't ride my crotch rocket without one and a helicopter is like a faster, higher crotch rocket in my eyes. Even though you feel enclosed that coke can skin and plexiglass isn't going to stop a lot more than rain and bugs if you ask me. Of course I am in an R22...

Even so I think in a bigger aircraft you can still hit things and they can hit you. I have a friend who rolled his car, was wearing his seatbelt and would have been fine but got knocked very hard in the head and shoulder by his football bag carrying his helmet and other things. Sort of ironic to get hit in the head with a helmet during a crash.

<font color='#000000'>Do you wear a helmet in any of the following SMALL helicopters:

I wouldn't ride a motorcycle without a helmet, but I'll fly an R22 without one because you are statistically more likely to be in an accident in a motorcycle or car than you are flying a helicopter.

not to be negative but you may statistically be at higher risk of an accident in a car, but a car accident includes a minor ding. Generally a helicopter accident is a little less forgiving, no?