USCG Officer Candidate School

Hey guys. After a long application process and an even longer wait, I was accepted to Coast Guard Officer Candidate School with my class starting in August '08. I noticed that there isn't a lot of info on here about pursuing Coast Guard aviation, but if anyone has any questions about the first step (applying to OCS), I would be glad to share my experience.

Hey guys. After a long application process and an even longer wait, I was accepted to Coast Guard Officer Candidate School with my class starting in August '08. I noticed that there isn't a lot of info on here about pursuing Coast Guard aviation, but if anyone has any questions about the first step (applying to OCS), I would be glad to share my experience.

Hey HeliZach,

Although I'm going into Army Aviation, we will be brothers in the sky. I start Warrant Officer Candidate School this Aug '08, so we'll both be starting our careers in aviation at the same time. It'd be nice to compare notes along the way.

Congrats on being accepted and good luck this fall.

V/R,

EliSamuel Quinones

Zach,

you might want to send a PM to Dolphindriver... he's a USCG pilot (prior Army)... he could probably give you some insight to CG aviation... Good Luck

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I was ineligible for the Blue21 program as my college did not meet the 25% minority requirement; therefore, I applied for straight OCS. I hope to apply to flight school at the end of the program, but understand that it will be competitive and dependent on the needs of the service and my performance at OCS. In preparation, I have undergone the flight physical and scored very well on the ASTB.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey guys, it has been awhile, but I wanted to give you an update on my progress. I commissioned as an Ensign on December 3rd and was selected for aviation with 13 others out of my class of about 85. I am currently stationed at NAS Pensacola and have begun flight training. If anyone has any questions about my experience or naval flight school, I'd be glad to answer them.

Hey there HeliZach,

I would be interested to hear about your expience as well as requirements. I have been considering going military to finish my flight training. I noticed that the CG has pretty high requirements as far as eyesight, dental condition, and college, and so just assumed I wouldn't be qualified for a number of reasons. Could you give me the "real story" on all of that? Is getting into the aviation side that difficult?

Thanks,

and congrats again on your training.

josh

Hey guys, it has been awhile, but I wanted to give you an update on my progress. I commissioned as an Ensign on December 3rd and was selected for aviation with 13 others out of my class of about 85. I am currently stationed at NAS Pensacola and have begun flight training. If anyone has any questions about my experience or naval flight school, I'd be glad to answer them.