EMS accident video

teddy

Here is the link to a video I was shown, I don't think it has surfaced yet here on VR. I am wondering if this is a case(or cause) where you would have wanted to rotate the helicopter around the axis of the tail rotor or at least the main rotor to avoid going backwards further than you expected. Discussion?

Take off is at 2:20

Edited by teddy
  • Like 1

Here is the link to a video I was shown, I don't think it has surfaced yet here on VR. I am wondering if this is a case(or cause) where you would have wanted to rotate the helicopter around the axis of the tail rotor or at least the main rotor to avoid going backwards further than you expected. Discussion?

Take off is at 2:20

Just a guess- the crew forgot the wires were there when they pedal turned. The video makes it look pretty dern tight just getting on to the roadway, I can't imagine anybody being casual about wires that close. All it takes is a second of inattention and you're on YouTube.

Yup, surprised they even considered that for an LZ with the wires being that close. Seems like that field would have been a better choice.

While watching the video I was thinking "Oh, that's a little tight, but I bet they try to go straight up and drift right due to translating and hit the wires." When they turned the tail my next thoughts were, and I literally said out loud. "WHAT are they doing! I'd never turn my tail in a direction of known obstacles."

So I have to agree, I probably wouldn't have chosen that LZ, and if for some reason I did or had to, I'm not sure it would be such a great idea to turn my tail in a direction of known obstacles. I don't turn my tail unless I know 110% I have clearance for it, and even then I sometimes don't just in case. That's my $0.02

While watching the video I was thinking "Oh, that's a little tight, but I bet they try to go straight up and drift right due to translating and hit the wires." When they turned the tail my next thoughts were, and I literally said out loud. "WHAT are they doing! I'd never turn my tail in a direction of known obstacles."

So I have to agree, I probably wouldn't have chosen that LZ, and if for some reason I did or had to, I'm not sure it would be such a great idea to turn my tail in a direction of known obstacles. I don't turn my tail unless I know 110% I have clearance for it, and even then I sometimes don't just in case. That's my $0.02

Took the words right out of my mouth. This was poor decision making both by the flight crew and ground crews for choosing that LZ... My advice, learn from other people's mistakes and remember, situational awareness is key.