How much would you sacrifice for a flying job?

ChprPlt

Since getting my CFI I have:

-moved my family across the country for CFI job. Got laid off 4 months later

-moved back to my home state

-got another CFI job across the country. This time I didn't move family

-worked for over a year separated from my wife and son

-lost house in foreclosure

-filed bankruptcy

-reached the "magic" hours but still unable to find a commercial job

I just wanted to get your opinions. I know I'm lucky to be flying but its hard to be away from your family hardly making any money as a CFI. I feel like I've been focusing on my career and missing out on seeing my son grow up. How far would you go to get to that first commercial job?

thanks

Edited by ChprPlt

Sounds all to familiar. The first school I worked at went out of business, so I finally got a job at another school across the country. Now they are about to kick the bucket too I think. At least then I could move back in with my wife I guess.

CFI market is tough right now in case anyone didn't know :huh:

Edited by joeschmoeheli

Well, each situation is different (obviously) and I've heard your story many times. It's a very tough choice either way. Keep my family near and move them, take the stepson out of school and have him try to meet new friends somewhere as a junior in HS, let them stay home and I move away for several months to several years waiting for the appropriate flight hours, miss all the "firsts" with my newborn, give up or postpone my dreams indefinitely.... a lot to think about. I've had my CFII for a little over 2 years. I'm extremely reluctant to move away because we are not taking my step son out of highschool and I'm not going to leave the raising of my child to my wife alone. It's not fair to them. So, I help out at the local school, get some flight time occasionally, take some advanced course work, sit in with some of the instructors that I went to school with when they teach class, and I have patience. The Lord has his plan. I'm not going to sit on my butt and wait for something to be handed to me, but without moving across the country, I do what I am able to do locally and one day the cards will be just right, I pray.

My thoughts,

Michael

Hey ChprPlt,

Wow these are really tough breaks you've encountered...I am sympathetic to you, your family and your dilemmas!

I suspect your posting was a difficult thing to make, it takes a lot to put that out there for the masses to see and ponder for themselves.

I'd tell you right off that you must stick with it, don't throw in the towel now...you and your family have sacrificed far too much already for that to happen. There are jobs out there, however there are a lot of pilots as well for those slots. Be persistent, clearly you are that already to be where you are and have giving up what you have to continue to fly.

I can't say what kind of slots are available in your area and what the industry has in that marketplace. So I'll tell you I moved around...it was hard on the family, and myself. There are few guarantees in life, fewer in the industry. (not discouragement...just reality once again!)

Carpet bomb the posted jobs that you meet the requirements for...then do a follow up call to the chief pilot or their assistant. Put your voice with that paper in their minds. Ask them when you can plan to meet for a face to face and complete a check ride. If they don't have dates available for you on that first call...don't hang up without asking when you can call back to find out if you are in the advancing on to the next round of prospects for that slot. Be in their face for the job you want, but be tactful as well here. It is a fine line to walk but one that has worked for me time again.

Plan on moving sooner or later...it tends to go hand in hand with being a helo pilot in most cases.

There are jobs out there that allow for a family and flying...I've got one! It wasn't my first job that is for sure. ENG and EMS are going to be your best bet for a semi-normal family lifestyle, but they even infringe on that at times.

If your wife and family can continue to support you and tolerate the roller coaster ride that the industry brings...you are half way there in my opinion! The other half will come with your persistence and willingness to go to where that 1st commercial job will take you.

Regards,

IFlySky5

that's why they call it AIDS (aviation induced divorce syndrome)

if your out there and married with children (young children) this is NOT the time to be selfish and start some new career in an industry that DOES NOT PAY. Your family will suffer and they should come before YOU.

Thanks for your replies guys. IFlySky5 you made some great points thank you so much!

I'm really lucky to have a very supportive wife. She wants me to stay here until I find a commercial job. We have invested too much to not get to the next step. It's not an ideal situation but if I quit now it will all be for nothing. Hopefully I'll find a commercial job soon and open up a slot for one of you guys looking for a CFI job.

Sounds rough man, good luck to you. It is tough for everyone right now. Helicopter industry, or any other industry. Had you been at this point a year or two ago, you would probably have a commercial job. I know quite a few instructors well over the "magical hours" still looking for work right now (besides instructing). Some of them are getting worried as new students are not rolling in like they were. I sort of happened upon a commercial job when delivering a new helicopter. My wife and I moved across the country, we don't really like where we live now (Kentucky) but it was a job, and I have to be thankful for what it is. I'm not flying as much as I'd like, and I'm not building turbine time (R44), but it is a secure job with a decent salary. Unfortunately my wife started getting job offers from the state just as we started moving, and she hasn't had much luck out here yet. Thankfully she is supportive and patient.

Hang in there. You've come a long way, and it would be stupid to give up now. Definitely be prepared to move, it comes with the territory. Just make sure you take care of your family first, and make as many contacts as you can. Not all jobs out there get posted on vertical reference ;)

ChprPlt

It’s a tough situation. I know it’s hard but you need to stay positive. Something will come up, but it might take a little more time. Aviation I feel is a tough market right now. Every one tells me 1000 hrs is the magic number but I have yet to see that. Try to make as many contacts as you can that will help. Try to stay at the top of your game, employers will notice. I would talk to your family and come up with a decision together. Family is the most important thing.

Since getting my CFI I have:

-moved my family across the country for CFI job. Got laid off 4 months later

-moved back to my home state

-got another CFI job across the country. This time I didn't move family

-worked for over a year separated from my wife and son

-lost house in foreclosure

-filed bankruptcy

-reached the "magic" hours but still unable to find a commercial job

I just wanted to get your opinions. I know I'm lucky to be flying but its hard to be away from your family hardly making any money as a CFI. I feel like I've been focusing on my career and missing out on seeing my son grow up. How far would you go to get to that first commercial job?

thanks

I have a great empathy for you and others too, that have sacrificed a great deal to pursue their careers. I too have won and lost much in this journey of aviation. I won't explain all that I have been through but I will say this; yours is not unique and here I am 40 years later having had a fantastic career, personal growth and most of all, gained a tremendous amount of wisdom. And of all the trials and tribulations I would not wanted to do it any differently. Yes there is light at the end of the tunnel, it is just going to take you many years yet to see it. Having emerged out the other side, you will look back on these experiences and appreciate the wisdom of it all. Your son did not give up trying to walk. Neither should you give up trying to pursue your dream. make it so.

Whatever trail you have trodden, it will have been to your benefit and growth. Oft times we tend to think that loses are a down side to life, but I would say to you and others, we cannot appreciate the gains without those loses in our lives.

Whether we have chosen to fly or sweep the floors, we have exercised our free will to choose the experiences in life that will give us the most wisdom. Life is the journey, the experience, not the destination.

Though our vision of the past is clear and our vision of the future is in fog, take each step boldly and fulfill your life's dream. Like learning to walk, one step at a time.

cheers

Rotorrodent

to answer your original question, i would sacrifice anything right now to get a job. I already totally blew apart my credit just getting to where im at and am now filing for the good old BK but the good thing is i am not married and have no kids. I am a CFII with over 400 hours and it is pretty much impossible to find a job right now. I have been searching all over the country and nothing so far. Its come to the point that now i am working with a army recruiter putting together a WOFT packet. I would prefer to stay civilian, but at this point, theres no better option.........

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kind of curious, why the downturn in demand for pilots? I understand that the economy is not great, but it's not like you can get a car to do the things that helos do right? I would think that with the demand for oil stagnant that it would produce more demand. I know nothing about the industry, I'm just thinking more and more about getting my private license and trying to go from there but it really sounds like a waste of money from some of the comments on this board. Very unfortunate.

I wouldn't sacrifice too much....I love it but if it's not lining up maybe now is not the time...I currently have 11 years vested in retirement working in law enforcement...I can't leave that to CFI full time...

I wanna second the compliments on your family...God blessed you with a great wife to work through all that (and the future) with you - She is a rare find these days! I hope things turn around for you and it works out brother! If anything your story is an inspiration (or eye opener) to newbies!

I'm kind of curious, why the downturn in demand for pilots?

the jobs being referred to in this thread seem to be CFI/CFII stuff...entry pilot jobs. with less and less loans and funding available to existing and new students looking to get into the industry, the student population has started to dwindle, and therefore, so has the demand for instructors.

There is no downturn in demand for pilots that I can see, it's about what it has been. There is going to be one very soon, though, as lots of currently employed pilots get laid off. There is another thread discussing this. The problem is that the supply of new pilots is many times the size of the demand, and many times the size the demand will ever be. SSH sold a lot of people on false premises, and there was never any chance that more than a small percentage of them would ever find employment. 1000 hours is not the magic number, and it never will be. There is no magic number, and there never will be one. More than any other applicant is what mostly works, and that number fluctuates; it's about to be larger.

When tough economic times hit, the first thing to go is the helicopter. It's expensive, and it's obvious. In every recession, pilots in general and helicopter pilots in particular lose their jobs, and always will. If you absolutely have to fly helicopters, face this and deal with it. Personally, I think that causing your family to suffer so you can enjoy yourself is one of the most selfish, egotistical things you can do, but if it makes you feel good...

A bit harsh, Gomer. The posters are not people with just a commercial, they are pilots that have

put a lot in and can't see just giving up now. But I actually do think that is what many should do. Don't put you and your families life on hold for a not very well paying job. Come back to it later.

Throwing good money after bad is not a good business plan, and shorting one's family is not a good moral plan. At least that's my opinion.

It seems to work for more than a few of the major US corporations and our Goverment. :angry: But don't worry, I am sure Obama will eventually have a stimulus plan for us helicopter pilots too.....

(Sorry couldn't resist) :D

Gomer I hear what your saying. Many times I feel like I'm putting my career ahead of my family. My wife always says WE are doing this for the family. I think about quitting daily but if I quit I got $82K in student loans and will go back to a job paying $35K per year. I started flying in 2005 and have been busting my ass to get to where I'm at now. I'm one phone call away from making this all worth it.