I need help with some Decisions.

Just found this forum, and I am glad that I did.  I am just at the beginning stage of researching the path of a Commercial Helicopter Pilot, and deciding how I would like to go about building a career as a pilot.  

In my area there are two Schools that I can get training through, Hillsboro-Aviation and Precision Flight Training.  

Hillsboro is bigger, with more aircraft, a very solid reputation, and trains mostly with R-22s, although they have Schweizer 300-CBs as well.  

Precision is smaller, trains with Schweizer, and is located a little closer to me.  They also seem to have a solid reputation, in fact they are rated higher on the review section here.  

So far I have only talked to the people at Hillsboro, and I was impressed with the information that they gave me.  

So on to the questions:

Which school is better?  Hillsboro or Precision?  Would I have better chances coming out of one school over the other?

Does the choice of helicopter play into this as well?  Would a company looking at a prospective employer prefer someone who trained on the R-22 or the Schweizer?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Conor

Hi Conor

Welcome to the forum, I was a student at Hillsboro from private to CFI and I definately recommend them. One thing to consider is that they are a large school trying to operate like a small one. Some students like this and some dislike it, regardless of what anyone says you only get out of a school what you put in to it. Too many students want to be led by the hand and are very quick to start blaming people when things don't happen for them. My advice to you is pick an instructor first and school second. Hillsboro are legit, trust me I have spent almost 50,000 dollars there! Be proactive, study hard and arrive early and I guarantee that you will have a smooth experience at any school that you choose.

As a final thought, with regard to your choice of training airframe, think long term. Either helicopter will allow you to become the pilot that you want to be, don't buy into the R22 vs Schweizer war. I will say this though, most helicopter flight schools operate R22's because they are cheap and reliable for the most part. If you have all schweizer time at the end of your training, you may find it hard to find CFI work if you can not get hired at your school. If I could go back and start over, I would have encorporated more 300C time into my training to be a little more 'well rounded.' Aim to get at least 50 hours R22, 200 hours total time, CFII and you'll be looking good.

Finally, your flying career will not be dictated by the ship that you decided to train in. As soon as you get to the insurance land mark of 1000 hours PIC (or before if you are lucky) you can move up to turbines. After that Im pretty sure you will forget all about little robinsons and schweizers.

Let me know if you need any more info

Thanks Dangerouslyclosetoavolcano.

I had actually settled on Hillsboro until last night when I read the reviews on this site, and then I decided to do a little more research.  

The 2 reviews I read don't really go along with most of the things that I heard about Hillsboro Aviation, so I was a little suprised.

Everything else I read said they were a top-notch school, one of the best in the country, and I was really impressed when I contacted them a few weeks ago.  

Did you instruct at Hillsboro?  

Thanks again.

Conor

Hey Conor

I don't work at hillsboro as an instructor, but I have been around the school for over a year now so I know it very well. I was surprised to read the reviews on this website, but to be honest some people will complain about anything. The school still has that family atmosphere that makes it a great place to be around, but if you do not try to make friends you will be lonely as most of the social stuff happens after hours. You can usually find a party or two going on in the schools apartments somewhere. Some people are put off by the size of the school but if you took away the fixed wing side, it would be just the right size.  

If you can I suggest paying them a visit, schedule an appointment with wayne moore and just check the place out. Turn up early and just 'snoop around,' that has always been my tactic when visiting a school as you can see the big picture first without being shown all the nice parts by someone trying to impress you

I've tried to compare/contrast these 2 schools, too.  I ultimately want to do utility work in the Pacific NW, and so they naturally appear as choices.  I've phoned both places and everyone seemed perfectly nice, so I may just have to make a trip accross the country to visit.  Tough choices to make with very little good information.

Hillsboro aviation  has a good rep and been in the biz for quite a while,with a great saftey record also many birds.I know students and cfis there and they are all pretty satisfied.A lot of friendly knowledgable pilots. But stop by and visit some locations before you make a decision .Research!

• 3 months later...

Hey sorry to bump such an ancient ancient thread, but C.R.O., if you're still around, which school did you ulitimately choose? I'm also looking into both of these schools and have already visited Precision but not Hillsboro.

If you're still perusing I'd appriciate an opportunity to pick your brain if you enrolled in either of the two.

thanks!

• 2 months later...
Hey sorry to bump such an ancient ancient thread, but C.R.O., if you're still around, which school did you ulitimately choose? I'm also looking into both of these schools and have already visited Precision but not Hillsboro.

If you're still perusing I'd appriciate an opportunity to pick your brain if you enrolled in either of the two.

thanks!

Sorry to bump this back up....

But to answer your Question Duke, no, I haven't started my training yet.

I am still working on setting up the financing (new baby and a new house aren't exactly helping that situation :D ) prior to starting.

I am still doing my research though, but haven't found anything to push me away from either of the mentioned companies at this point.

When I get the finances set up accordingly, I will visit both schools, and have a sit-down chat, and get a first hand look, and make my decision after that.

Conor