Applebee Aviation

cg1641

Does anyone have any comments on Applebee Aviation? They are offering seasonal jobs flying Hughes 500's. They will offer you 25 hours of time on the 500 at $499.00 per hour, and if satisfactory they will offer you a job at the end. Is the risk of spending 12,000 dollars worth it, not knowing if a job is guaranteed? Any comments please.

Even if you get the job, you won't make money. It's a very good way of making money for Applebee, basically you almost fly a season for free. When an employer really wants you they pay for your type training. Today it's a 500 tomorrow an R-44 and the day after something else you just keep investing a lot of money that way.

There an ad on Verticalmag for low-timers in Canada. About the same construction.

While $499 per hour is an attractive price for those with no turbine time under their belt, I have a feeling that the job offer is for a very select few. Even though their website states that you only need 250 hours for the insurance minimums, how many 250 hour pilots are really going to get hired. If 20 people all signed up for the 25 hour program at $499 per hour, they aren't going to need all 20 to do frost control this spring, and I have a feeling the it will be the higher time people getting hired. Plus, frost control is not a job that guarantees flying time...if the weather is warm enough, you won't fly at all. If you are a low time pilot, don't spend your money on a program such as this, because after you finish the seasonal position with them, what are you going to do for a job? Then look at all the additional R22 time you could have for what the turbine time cost you. Employers and insurance companies are looking for total time first before they look at anything else. If you have a low total time, it won't matter if it's all turbine time if you don't meet the minimum required by the insurance company.

Just my two-cents...Doug

I'm sorry, but I have a problem with a company that would try to scam a commercially rated pilot to pay to work for them...I actually contacted the company and the person I spoke with was very friendly. Considering I already have about 230-240 hours plus 22 hours in a MD500, they still would not accept me without paying for time. They do not want someone who is qualified, but someone who will have to pay to work for them. Thats just not right and I hope nobody pays for this job. I would be glad to do the job if they would accept me with what I have for time.