Experimental Helicopter

Has anyone heard anything about Safari Helicopters? I am considering building one and I am trying to find general information on them.

I've done a lot of research on them and was going to buy one already built, but it crashed. Now I'm not so sure about them. I flew one at Homer's Fly In and will probably be flying one again this July. I'm really interested in the HX1Wasp, two place turbine for the same cost as the Safari and the Hummingbird. Hopefully both will be out there this year.

I've done a lot of research on them and was going to buy one already built, but it crashed. Now I'm not so sure about them. I flew one at Homer's Fly In and will probably be flying one again this July. I'm really interested in the HX1Wasp, two place turbine for the same cost as the Safari and the Hummingbird. Hopefully both will be out there this year.

Can you give me some info on the HX1 Wasp? That sounds interesting. Who makes it?

What seems a little scary to me is the speed that that small tail rotor is turning cause of it's small size. 6000 RPM is pretty high. I always thought an R-22 tail was high at 3395 RPM.

It is probably small to save weight, and because of the small size to save weight, it has to turn exceptionally fast for adequate thrust. Because of that boom being a big moment arm, tail rotors and their transmissions are often big design issues on small helicopters. I asked Tim Tucker, and he said the reason the R-22's tail rotor turns the "wrong way", was to make the T/R gear box lighter, by several pounds. Wonder if that would have any bearing in this application...

Oh, well... It is interesting. I find it aesthetically *unpleasing* to the eye, but that is pure personal opinion... :P

My major problem with the look is the cabin... It reminds me of the head of one of those dogs with the counter-weighted head you used to see always bobbing up and down in back car window. I sorta would want to paint it to look like Deputy Dog or Pluto... :P But still, that is personal opinion. A lot of people laughed at the Robbie at first, and now Frank is having the last laugh....

You've listed single, two, and 4 place helicopters..... you should probably define your mission a little better.

And, for what it's worth.... in my book the Hummingbird wins hands down, although the Safari was second. The H-bird is basically a certificated 4-place helicopter in kit form, with thousands of proven hours on the design.

It's twice the price of the Safari, but well worth it in my opinion. Safety is paramount.

BTW, I've been researching kit helicopters for years. Another thing, VAT has taken 17 orders for the H-bird already this year. That's impressive!

And, for what it's worth.... in my book the Hummingbird wins hands down, although the Safari was second. The H-bird is basically a certificated 4-place helicopter in kit form, with thousands of proven hours on the design.

my thoughts to FB what price your life

my thoughts to FB what price your life

Here we go again......

I value my life as much (or more) than the next guy. I highly value the lives of my friends and family. That being said, I understand the possibility of highter risk in flying anything, let alone helos, let alone helos that fall under the "experimental" category.

That is why I've probably done more research on piston helicopters than just about anybody else out there. I have had the financial ability to purchase any of the new experimentals, or the smaller piston certificated ships such as Robinsons and Schweitzers, for many years now, but I want to be sure of what I'm doing before I do it.

For me, being able to build something is a huge part of the equation. Because of that, it's obviously the experimental route for me. I also want to be able to maintain it, even though I could afford to have a certificated ship maintained for me.

That being my mission, the research has lead me to the Hummingbird. Here's a good article on it.

Hummingbird article

It is basically the well-proven Sikorsky S-52 (that has been improved by VAT, a certified Sikorsky service center) with a JetRanger nose and front glass on it. Powered by a Lycoming certificated powerplant with the driveline all factory built, balanced, and shipped ready for install. This is well designed equipment meeting mil-spec and FAR standards, with hundreds of thousands of flight hours on the design. This is not a flying weed-wacker. Here's a site with some photos of some of the major components.

Hummingbird photos

I'll be flying one at Sun N' Fun, and I'll give a PIREP. I'll also be taking hundreds of photos and pouring over every inch of the thing.

Bottom line is, if I build it, I know every inch of it and that it is done right. That in and of itself does not make it 100% safe. But neither does buying a used certificated helicopter (or new one, for that matter). My boss bought a new R-44 a couple years back, and with 6 total hours on it lost power and had to auto in the Arizona desert while bringing it back. Nothing's guaranteed.

I think most of us are a little nuts for flying rotorcraft in the first place, but I have no death wish. Everything we do is a risk, and the prudent man must weigh risk with reward, and the prudent pilot does everything in his power to mitigate the risk, including deciding on the equipment he flies.

I'll be flying one at Sun N' Fun, and I'll give a PIREP. I'll also be taking hundreds of photos and pouring over every inch of the thing.

Bottom line is, if I build it, I know every inch of it and that it is done right. That in and of itself does not make it 100% safe. But neither does buying a used certificated helicopter (or new one, for that matter). My boss bought a new R-44 a couple years back, and with 6 total hours on it lost power and had to auto in the Arizona desert while bringing it back.

I would be most interested in seeing your PIREP and hopefully a lot of the photo's you get to take as well.

It is the ONLY kit helicopter that I would be interested in.

Incidentally, does anyone have any links to any other sites (builders sites, etc) on this aircraft.

Australian distributor is http://www.hummingbirdaustralia.com/main.htm

Flybull

I think you got me wrong, even though I fly certified units ,I have an interest in the home build market and approached HB, they dont Export to the UK as the CAA wont grant permit, Strange as the Rotoway has.

The reply I got from HB was very informative, frendly and Prompt,

allt his without a chance of selling a unit.

To me this sugests a Co. that is on the ball, with good PR

I have no connection with the HB but would certanly want to look further if buying a home build,

Their reply was to a private email address so no comercial advantage as in a post to a public site and was from the man in charge

• 2 weeks later...

500E,

Thanks for the reply, that was good information.

I also find it odd that the UK has not permitted them to ship there. It would be my guess, however, that it may just be a matter of VAT not having gone through the UK's process yet, rather than anything of the design or kit limiting it's availability in the UK.

This thing is built 10 times better than the RW. It's no comparison.

VAT has spent the last 8 years or so working on it's Grand Canyon Whisper Jet program, and is just now again focusing on the H-Bird. Perhaps UK distribution permitting is one of the things they'll be addressing soon.

Thanks again for your comments.

Mike

You could be correct but the impresion was they had tried perhaps with the No of orders localy now is not the time to sell into a new market, I would be tempted to go for the agency if they did get approval.

• 2 months later...
Can you give me some info on the HX1 Wasp? That sounds interesting. Who makes it?

To continue an older post with an update.

My big question is where were the switches located to accidently shut off fuel durring a flare?

From the web site:

SPECIAL NOTICE

The HeloWerks HX-1 WASP experimental two-place prototype helicopter sustained heavy damage and its pilot was injured in a landing accident on May 6, 2006 about 1:30 p.m. at the Hampton Roads Executive Airport in Chesapeake, Virginia.

Tony Pena, company president and pilot, had just put about 30 minutes of forward-flight test time on the HX-1 WASP helicopter and was returning to land. At an altitude of about 15 feet he flared to land, but accidentally shut off the fuel solenoids, cutting fuel to the turbine engine.

The helicopter was already in its landing flare, so was too low to enter autorotation. The helicopter dropped quickly to the ground, striking tail first and shattering the tail rotor. The tail strike caused one of the main rotor blades to hit the tail boom. The helicopter remained upright. The bows or cross-tubes connecting the landing skids absorbed much of the impact before breaking, but the force imparted by the impact caused additional faring and skin damage. There was no fire or fuel leakage.

The helicopter is estimated to have dropped to the ground at about 20 feet per second. The high inertia of the rotor blades successfully decreased the rate-of-descent, thus preventing further damage. The helicopter’s structure absorbed much of the impact force, as designed, and the cabin remained relatively intact. This accident was caused by pilot error, not by any design flaw of the helicopter.

The FAA released the helicopter to the company on May 8th. At the present time, Helowerks has not made a detailed inspection or assessment of the helicopter. It appears, however, that the airframe, although damaged, may be rebuildable. Since the company president is currently hospitalized, no decision has been made yet on what the company’s future will be. Further information will be posted on this website as it becomes available.

Dave

While we're on the subject, does anyone know anything about the turbine Mosquitio? I saw one at the Lakeland Sun-n-Fun Fly-In. I searched for it (turbine) and could only find the piston version. Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

My big question is where were the switches located to accidently shut off fuel durring a flare?

From the web site:

SPECIAL NOTICE

The HeloWerks HX-1 WASP experimental two-place prototype helicopter sustained heavy damage and its pilot was injured in a landing accident on May 6, 2006 about 1:30 p.m. at the Hampton Roads Executive Airport in Chesapeake, Virginia.

Tony Pena, company president and pilot, had just put about 30 minutes of forward-flight test time on the HX-1 WASP helicopter and was returning to land. At an altitude of about 15 feet he flared to land, but accidentally shut off the fuel solenoids, cutting fuel to the turbine engine.

The helicopter was already in its landing flare, so was too low to enter autorotation. The helicopter dropped quickly to the ground, striking tail first and shattering the tail rotor. The tail strike caused one of the main rotor blades to hit the tail boom. The helicopter remained upright. The bows or cross-tubes connecting the landing skids absorbed much of the impact before breaking, but the force imparted by the impact caused additional faring and skin damage. There was no fire or fuel leakage.

The helicopter is estimated to have dropped to the ground at about 20 feet per second. The high inertia of the rotor blades successfully decreased the rate-of-descent, thus preventing further damage. The helicopter’s structure absorbed much of the impact force, as designed, and the cabin remained relatively intact. This accident was caused by pilot error, not by any design flaw of the helicopter.

The FAA released the helicopter to the company on May 8th. At the present time, Helowerks has not made a detailed inspection or assessment of the helicopter. It appears, however, that the airframe, although damaged, may be rebuildable. Since the company president is currently hospitalized, no decision has been made yet on what the company’s future will be. Further information will be posted on this website as it becomes available.

Dave

Anyone know about the turbine used in this thing? Link to web? Thanks!

Mark

Anyone know about the turbine used in this thing? Link to web? Thanks!

Mark

http://www.helowerks.com/ Is the link to their site.

Modified AirResearch JFS-100-13A is what is used, I believe a modified APU.

General Specifications

Powerplant

Modified AirResearch JFS-100-13A

Horsepower 100

Seats 2

Gross Weight 1,200 lbs (544 kg)

Empty Weight 700 lbs (317 kg)

Fuel Capacity 20 gal (76 liters)

Useful Load 500 lbs (227 kg)

Performance (Est.)

Hover IGE (5' skid ht) 8,000' (2,438 m)

Hover OGE 4,000' (1,219 m)

Service Ceiling 10,000' (3,048 m)

Cruise Range (10% reser.), SL 127 miles (204 km)

Normal Cruise Speed, SL 80 mph (70 kts)

Max Speed, SL 108 mph (94 kts)

Basic Dimensions

Main Rotor Diameter 23' (7.01 m)

Tail Rotor Diameter 2.6' (0.79 m)

Overall Length (nose-to-tail) 19' (5.79 m)

Cabin Width 4.1' (1.24 m)

Skid Width 7' (2.13 m)

Height 8.3' (2.51 m)

They plan on continuing with the project and are up to prototype WASP III.

Dave

• 5 months later...

From the web site:

SPECIAL NOTICE

Dave

I have no clue how these helicopters are configured but reading the article I would assume that he simply rolled the throttle off? Makes sense to me

Hi there, I am too but for now try their web site, look under Google ok

where is the parachue kept?

Hi there,

I've already built a exp fixwing and now eyeing off the same in choppers, the 162 sounds good however why are so many being sold? the Safari has cert. engine and no 'v' belts running TR, sounds good to me any one else?

Grant