SIC Positions in the GOM

Gunner

A guy from my school left a few months back to fly for PHI in the GOM. I asked about him the other day and heard that he's not a SIC on a 412. What are the advantages of being a SIC? My guess is that you get some experience in a med twin and can eventually be promoted to a Captain...

Just looking for some insight and SIC requirements...

Thanks-

Gunner

Check this LINK out, it might answer a few questions you have. I came across it on JustHelicopters.com

Guest rookie101
Check this LINK out, it might answer a few questions you have. I came across it on JustHelicopters.com

Great explanation by the one dude (FH1100?), thanks for the link Dave....

Most of the GOM operators hire new pilots as 206/407 captains, and the upgrade to medium SIC is based on seniority. It takes several years as an SIC before one can upgrade to medium captain, depending on the company and the way things are going. The remuneration differences depend on the company. There are no companies that I know of now who are hiring pilots straight to medium SIC. It's been tried, and it didn't work very well.

Depends on what he wants. The medium SIC position pays more money, and he can log at least half the time as PIC. In actuality, he can log all the time he has his hands on the controls, and the PIC can log all the time as PIC. I've had some SICs who want to fly all the time, and I have no problem with that. Some crews split the time no matter what, and some do it other ways. Technically, an SIC can only log PIC time when at the controls, but the PIC can log all the time as PIC, whether or not he touches the controls. Personally, I long ago gave up trying to get enough time to get a real job, so I don't even keep track of my time, except that required to prove currency. I try to fly at least one leg per day, just to keep my skills up to par, but I'm not religious about it. Most of the PICs I know feel the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

Era Helicopters will hire directly into the left seat of a IFR twin with as little as 500 hours, depending on your ratings and experience. For a CFI, you'll need to be a CFII in general, or have military experience, but they'll do it.

Of course, the pay is $9K less than the VFR Captain positions, just under $40K right now a year. Still not bad, if you get in at low time. A CFII I know just got hired with less than 700 hours and is now a SIC in a S-76.

PHI and Air Log want you in the 206 first, but there are people who get upgraded right after passing the 135 checkride, so it can happen quickly. That being said, if you only have 1,000 hours of R-22 time, spending a year in a 206 would be a good introduction to commercial flying.

Fly Safe!