A Question of Realism

Having enjoyed flying helicopters so much in computer games I went out and bought the latest version of MS Flight Sim hoping to learn a bit more about choppers.

I suspect that, even though MS FS is infinitely more realistic than BF2, it is still hardly visible on the difficulty scale that the real thing presents.

My question is - and I ask you not to reply too harshly ;) - what is the most realistic experiance I can have on a PC?

Having enjoyed flying helicopters so much in computer games I went out and bought the latest version of MS Flight Sim hoping to learn a bit more about choppers.

I suspect that, even though MS FS is infinitely more realistic than BF2, it is still hardly visible on the difficulty scale that the real thing presents.

My question is - and I ask you not to reply too harshly ;) - what is the most realistic experiance I can have on a PC?

It is going to be difficult at best to experience anything along the lines of realism on most computer based training systems. If you are not using a proper flight controls, then you are more than likely not getting anything out of it unless you are doing strictly instrument approaches. And then, you are only learning the procedures that you need to know. Take a look at what Flight Link has to offer for helicopter flight contols that will interface with your computer. The next thing is having one computer screen to emulate the instrument panel and an LCD projector for the outside visuals.

Having scads of hours in the simulator will only mean one thing...that you have scads of hours in the simulator. You may receive a benefit out of it, but if you have no flying time in the real thing, then you are probably going to get little out of it.

I've flown all types of simulators and what I can say is that if you are a newbie pilot there is nothing that can beat flying the real thing.

Doug

Take a look at what Flight Link has to offer...

Those are some truly awesome peripherals. I think I'll stick with my saitek setup (£30 versus £1000) and will get X-Plane 8.

Assuming I can handle MS flight sim pretty well, what do you think would happen if someone crazy put me in the seat of the real thing? Is it more likely that I'd flip within seconds or just slide about a bit? In other words - how do the controls 'feel'. Do they vibrate heavily? Unduly sensitive?

I experienced that the R22 has a lot of vibrations in real life, especially the cyclic. I have flown MS flightsim asswell and in that game it is piece of cake to fly the heli, but for example your helo hardly turns when you raise the collective. Besides, in a real heli the cyclic reponds much more sunsitve; to hoover you have to make minor adjustments.

I dont think that MFS matches the reallity that good.

If you are asking if you could fly the real thing, after enough sim hours, the answer is no, you can't.

Flying a helicopter involves all your senses, including the feel of your butt in the seat, which cannot be duplicated by a computer screen and video game.

MS Flight Sim is fun, but it won't teach you how to fly a helicopter. Only flying in a helicopter with an instructor will do that.

Wanna-be,

You must have the realism and sensitivity settings set to low or default. You need to tweak it up and then fly it. In a hover its tough, but when you get in the real thing you will think gosh this is easy. I run the MS 02' program with an R22 package installed. I would say over all its about 75-80% realistic to a Real R22, in a hover its very quirky. There are some flight profiles I can't do, like a realistic auto, quick stops, etc... But, I can't fly every day. I just mainly do pickup and set downs a lot, hover and air taxi, hover around a point, and practice landings to oil platforms in the Gulf to keep my motor skills honed. I once did not fly the real thing for 7 months, I had zero problems hovering at pickup when I had the chance to fly again, even though the long space between flights.

Safe flights

You must have the realism and sensitivity settings set to low or default.

Im going to try this!! thanks for the advise. What kind of a joystick do you use? I had a non twistable joystick so I had to turn the heli with the keyboard, and that sucks like hell!! your helo will be spinnning around like a turbojet carousel (or i just suck with it)

I didnt knew that there are oilrigs where u can land on, at which airport you take off?

Wanna-be,

Set the Realism to hard, you can set the crash sensitivity to 50% at first so the program doesn't restart so much when you hit the ground. Later you can increase it to full 100% when your ready.

Set the Sensitivity to about 80% on Ailerons and Elevators and Null to about 10% for each also.

Set the Sensitivity to 100% on Rudders and the Null to 0%.

I use a Saitek EVO stick with CH Pro Pedals. I bought a Abacus WhirlyBirds program, it has oil patch, grand canyon, and some other locations to fly.

Im going to try this!! thanks for the advise. What kind of a joystick do you use? I had a non twistable joystick so I had to turn the heli with the keyboard, and that sucks like hell!! your helo will be spinnning around like a turbojet carousel (or i just suck with it)

I didnt knew that there are oilrigs where u can land on, at which airport you take off?

I was thinking of getting 'Helicopter Operations' for MS '04...should i?

This is just for fun..and maybe i will learn something too :lol:

• 4 weeks later...