Is CFI & CFII that critical?

Anyone know what kind of jobs are available to a newbie heli pilot with commerical and instrument ratings, W/ 115 flt hours but no CFI or CFII due to lack of funding. Are there any companies out there that would pick me up and for what kind of job? After assesing my finacial situation I could probably make it just short of CFI and CFII ratings (thats w/ loans!!). Is it worth still persuing if you dont have the CFI &CFII? Is there anyone in or was in this situation? what did you do? Thanks for the info on all posts.

Anyone know what kind of jobs are available to a newbie heli pilot with commerical and instrument ratings, W/ 115 flt hours but no CFI or CFII due to lack of funding. Are there any companies out there that would pick me up and for what kind of job? After assesing my finacial situation I could probably make it just short of CFI and CFII ratings (thats w/ loans!!). Is it worth still persuing if you dont have the CFI &CFII? Is there anyone in or was in this situation? what did you do? Thanks for the info on all posts.

Did the school take your money? What school did you train at?

I haven't started flight school just assessing if I can finacially make it through. I dont want to get 30K in debt and then run out of money with out the useful licenses that would get me the job entry level pilot job. Reguardless the flight hours after commercial qualification are there jobs for those who lack the CFI & CFII?

I am looking at Precision flight school in the spring for taining. What do you think? Good reputation? Or are they along the threads I've read about Silver State Flight School????( bad school)

I'd suck it up and go CFI at least, if you can. I'm sure there are jobs, but the difference in pay and availability of jobs is incredible, from what I've seen.

Would have to agree with Helliboy. Chances of getting work without a cfi and/or cfii is slim to none. But do not think about it in a bad way. Being a cfi is not a tragedy. You get tons of experience that will prove useful later in life. You practice emergency procedures every day, and you know what to do by hart if something should come up. It might not pay a lot, but think about the reward of actually teaching someone from scratch and make a pilot out of someone that came to you with no previous experience. Go be a cfi, then when you have experience you might try something else, if you not by that time would like to stay and instruct.... mabye end up as a chief flight instructor at some school (that would also help you later on). Good luck anyway.

Hello

There is absolutely "NO" point in becoming a CFI ( certified flight Instructor ) or Chief flight instructor ( CFI) without at least 10 years experience in the commercial world so that you can actually teach a student something worthwhile based on your experience.

Krusty

To be very clear , no question to asked after. "NO" means no!

Instructors must have something to teach first. Showing somebody to hover is one thing , but landing on a 20' by 20' pad on 60 degree slope with 20 kt wind on the side of mountian is another thing. But I suppose you could elect to have that official sounding CFI 2 show you that with his 200 hrs TT. My adice is to find out from him how much operational time he has first before you elect to make him your teacher. Kinda like making sure you engish teacher can spell before he starts teaching you poetry.

Krusty

"your" sorry no edit feature.

K

The whole proposition about teaching with 200 hrs is very scarry.

K

Instructors must have something to teach first. Showing somebody to hover is one thing , but landing on a 20' by 20' pad on 60 degree slope with 20 kt wind on the side of mountian is another thing. But I suppose you could elect to have that official sounding CFI 2 show you that with his 200 hrs TT. My adice is to find out from him how much operational time he has first before you elect to make him your teacher. Kinda like making sure you engish teacher can spell before he starts teaching you poetry.

Krusty

"your" sorry no edit feature.

K

The whole proposition about teaching with 200 hrs is very scarry.

K

Krusty,

I don't know where you're from, but I suppose Canada. I've seen you raise this a few times before, if you don't like it then don't do it. Maybe don't fly at all. But stop pissing on our system.

In my opinion you're talking out of your A***

Krusty

Just wanted to know how you planned to land on a 60 degree slope? You must be using crazy glue or something?

No offence, but it sounds like you're talking out your behind. Are you really a commercial rated pilot? Landing on a 60 degree slope would be the equivalent of trying to land on the face of a cliff. Your rotorblades would be gone long before you could even get close! If that's the kind of teachings you get where you are from i guess i can see why they do not have fresh pilots with 200hrs. tutoring. I would also add that if you know youre stuff, and as a commercial pilot you should, there are still tons of stuff you could teach a new student. Keep in mind that the final CFI training is not given by the newest CFI's, these are pilots with years of experience (min.2 years as a CFI according to the FAR regarding CFI trining under part 61).

I'm assuming from your broken english that you're a frog krusty, so If i fly up to quebec can you teach me how to land on one of those 60 degree slopes?? In the one week you've been posting here you've already destroyed any credibility one can assume you had so I'd suggest going back to JH with the rest of the a$$holes.

In principle, I agree with Krusty - it would be best for our teachers to be the most experienced ones in any given field. However, our economic system says differently, and that is pretty much that.

I was one of those 200-hour terrors Krusty talks about, and there's no question that I was not using personal experience as a basis for my teaching. Luckly, experience of a topic is not always required to transfer knowledge - for instance I taught a lot of folks about low-RPM rotor stall, and I gotta be honest, I've never done that partucular maneuver.

When all other things are equal, a person with experience in a specific area will better be able to instruct that particular area. However, it has been overwhelmingly demonstrated (in all fields of teaching) that your training, talent and preparation as a teacher are the dominant factors in how well your students learn.

The mistake being made right now is to think that someone who has only learned the basics of helicopter operation and the aviation environment - by this I mean the 1,000-hour CFII - is ready to tackle a specialized job. The failing in our current system is that these raw recruits are being shoved into jobs that require huge amounts of additional training and apprentice work, only they aren't getting it because the operator isn't going to pay for it. That's where we are right now, and it isn't the fault of the 200-hour CFI.

Being a 200 hr CFI is kind of scary. I was one of them. But it's crazy how fast you get the hang of things. You learn what to do and what NOT to do while flying very quick. A fresh new CFI can be good in many ways. For example I have seen a lot 600hr - 1000hr CFIs get tired of teaching and see the students suffer from it. The new guy is still excited that he is not paying for the flight time. I guess as long as the instrucor knows his limits, motivated and keeps up on the knowledge things should go ok. (Good luck with that ;) )

If money is so tight, I think I would skip the instrument rating and go for just the CFI. You can get your foot in the door with that. I have seen it work a few times. It just sucks trying to get the instrument rating after you start working as a pilot.