Is it worth Spending $$$$$

vertical22

DESCRIPTION:

MINI-500 Helicopter (Alpha model). Completed 1997. Includes many updates: Doors, Strut reinforcement, Performance Enhancement Package (PEP), chip detectors, cyclic grip, collective grip, tail-rotor gear box mount. Wired for 760 val-com with both gen aviation & heli headphone jacks. Only 15 hrs. TT on engine, 2 hrs. TT on airframe (hover time). White paint, comfortable interior. Excellent, new condition. Includes all manuals. Must see in person to appreciate the quality workmanship! Ready to go!

SPECIFICATIONS:

Length: 22½ ft; height: 8 ft; width: 5¼ ft.; empty weight: 450 lbs; max. payload: 350 lbs; horsepower: 82; speed: 105 mph; cruise speed: 70 mph; VNE: 115 mph; rate of climb: 1000 fpm; flight duration: 3 hours; max. altitude: about 10,000+ ft.

PRICE: $19,995

http://www.vortechonline.com/specials/mini500_wht.htm

post-4064-1160843581_thumb.jpg

post-4064-1160843614_thumb.jpg

DESCRIPTION:

MINI-500 Helicopter (Alpha model). Completed 1997. Includes many updates: Doors, Strut reinforcement, Performance Enhancement Package (PEP), chip detectors, cyclic grip, collective grip, tail-rotor gear box mount. Wired for 760 val-com with both gen aviation & heli headphone jacks. Only 15 hrs. TT on engine, 2 hrs. TT on airframe (hover time). White paint, comfortable interior. Excellent, new condition. Includes all manuals. Must see in person to appreciate the quality workmanship! Ready to go!

SPECIFICATIONS:

Length: 22½ ft; height: 8 ft; width: 5¼ ft.; empty weight: 450 lbs; max. payload: 350 lbs; horsepower: 82; speed: 105 mph; cruise speed: 70 mph; VNE: 115 mph; rate of climb: 1000 fpm; flight duration: 3 hours; max. altitude: about 10,000+ ft.

PRICE: $19,995

http://www.vortechonline.com/specials/mini500_wht.htm

I let the US Gov do the talking:

32 records meet your criteria.

go to http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp#query_start

Then type in Mini in the make/model box after choosing "helicopters"

Crash reports are great ways of learning from the mistakes of others, and the safety records of different aircraft.

Here is just one excerpt "Additionally, the engine operations manual under section 9 stated in part that 'this engine, by its design, is subject to sudden stoppage'.

Here is another excerpt "The NTSB database revealed 23 Mini-500 accidents in 1997 and 1998. Twelve of those involved a loss of engine power. The Rotax operator's manual stated, '...This engine by design is subject to sudden stoppage...Never fly the aircraft equipped with this engine at locations, airspeeds, altitudes...from which a successful no-power landing cannot be made...'

I'm not picking on the homebuilt 500 here, you simply asked, and I directed you to an official gov website. The choice as always, is up to you.

Thank you for the information, I was just wondering about that helo... So are you saying that all these mini type helo are not really worth buying????

That one has been for sale for a long time. I would say that the mini 500 is very dangerous aircraft to fly, and you'll see that in the NTSB reports. Personally, thats one of the homebuilts that I will not fly.

I wonder if one can modify it to be a bit more reliable?

Maybe a V-dub engine and tip weights, or heavier blades?

Just thinking out loud?

Later

You guys are talking out of your butt, when rigged properly they auto just fine. If you could buy a certified jetranger for twenty some grand ,not even have to build it yourself, don't you think there would be a lot of accidents and deaths as well because every yahoo would have one and not spend the money on proper training, maintenance, and AD's etc.

Just had to put in my .o2$ worth

Deathtrap, stay away. Don't take my word for it? check the NTSB web site.

As Kc135Delta said, you can't auto in it!

You guys are talking out of your butt, when rigged properly they auto just fine. If you could buy a certified jetranger for twenty some grand ,not even have to build it yourself, don't you think there would be a lot of accidents and deaths as well because every yahoo would have one and not spend the money on proper training, maintenance, and AD's etc.

Just had to put in my .o2$ worth

Low Level- Perhaps you can explain then why 12 engine failures occurred in a 2 year span according to the NTSB? And most of those engine failures resulted in fatalities?? Simple fact, the Rotax engine was designed to be a cheap alternative aircraft engine for things like ultralights. Engine outs in an ultralight are not the same as in a rotorcraft. These were not pilot errors, there were plenty of fatalities that are suspected of being pilot error, I'm just concerned about the ones that are plain and simple the failure of the aircraft. IF you choose to fly in one, go for it....there is enough excitement for me in a certified bird just trying to keep from crashing mid-air in Los Angeles airspace...Goldy

When the blade pitch is set properly at full down collective, you have ample time to set up for an auto, more so than my R22. Where do people get the notion that theres no blade intertia, ignorance is bliss sometimes on this forum. Most people who critizise the mini have never seen one, sat in one, and above all flown one, that is if there a heli pilot at all.

can you explain this alittle better?

LowLevel- I'm not a huge fan of the R22 either ( but I do fly them), but the Lycoming engine is pretty reliable. I dont know anything about the 500 auto abilities, so my mouth is shut on that subject. How do you explain the high number of engine failures? I do know they have had several issues with carbs and maintaining the proper mixtures...

I agree they are nowhere near as reliable as a certified piston engine. I put 270 hours on one without a problem what so ever, I think the key is propoer warm-up. I would let mine warm up 6-8 minutes winter or summer. So many times I would see people jump in, warm up for a minute or so and off they went. Thats when you would get the cold siezure (I think thats the term) where the piston expands faster than the cylinder wall and thus you get a siezed engine. Then I hear some would let it cool down (if they managed a safe landing) start the engine up again, everything would seem to run fine , and then off they go again. Go figure they had so many accidents.

LowLevel- I'm not a huge fan of the R22 either ( but I do fly them), but the Lycoming engine is pretty reliable. I dont know anything about the 500 auto abilities, so my mouth is shut on that subject. How do you explain the high number of engine failures? I do know they have had several issues with carbs and maintaining the proper mixtures...

I forgot to mention about the carb. When the Mini first came out you had to be real carefull with the carb jetting, sometimes you would have to change jets if you set out in the morning, landed and then departed in the afternoon. Then the factory came out with different carb needles (varies the mixure within the main and needle jets) and you would only have to change jets winter and summer. I once became to complacent when doing a warm up I noticed my rotor was spooling up somewhat (which meant lean needle jets) but I ignored it, everything seemed fine for takeoff, but when I got to cruising alt. and reduced power (now needle jets take over from main jets) my EGT skyrocketed and where on their way past the red line. So I increased power to lower the EGT temps, did a quick circuit, entered into an auto, recovered with power, and landed without a problem. I changed needle jets and off I went without a problem. As one could imagine setting the right mixture can be a bit of a game and if one doesn't take the time or effort to maintain proper mixtures and watch your instruments you are setting yourself up for an engine failure. Not the type of machine for some people who don't even know how to change the oil in thier car let alone maintain a helicopter.

I like the Eagle R&D Helicycle better. Turbine engine, fly's like a Robbie. Simular performance. Would be nice if it had 2 seats.

Helicycle in flight

Helicycle flight 2

Geez- and I thought the R 22 was tiny! Would not want to be climbing over the mountains near LA in one of those...the R22 gets bumped around enough its so light.