Silver State NC

Hey does anyone know when silver state is having thier seminar in north carolina? just wondering.

More importantly, does anyone care??

I'm constantly amazed that with all the bad publicity and accidents, students losing money, all the other BS surrounding Silver State, that anyone even considers attending one of their schools.

Hey does anyone know when silver state is having thier seminar in north carolina? just wondering.

Oh-boy .................. there goes the neighborhood. :rolleyes:

Hope Ya all have some tall boots, could get messy when the BS starts piling up <_>

I was thinking of going to it and handing out flyers advertising the forum. You know, so they could get the facts from those of us who know better. That and I have a bone to pick with SSH but thats another matter. lol

that would actually be a lot of fun to do... until they try to kick you out anyway. i say go for it!

I'm constantly amazed that with all the bad publicity and accidents, students losing money, all the other BS surrounding Silver State, that anyone even considers attending one of their schools.

Notice how far afield they are going to open new locations. The word...about lawsuits among other things...is getting out in the West and Southwest. But the folks that fall for their "live your dream" pitch do not do any research before signing away seventy grand so if they set up new locations far enough away the buzz will not have gotten there yet.

They sure don't get any economies of scale by locating that far away from their established locations so their operating costs are going to be higher and the odds of success lower. But that's probably not the main concern, they need new bodies...new upfront loan money...to fund the operations they've got going already. Otherwise the cash dries up and the music stops.

Oh and just in case anyone was wondering, when i say advertise the forum, i mean inform them. i'd make it very clear that im in no way affiliated with vertical reference. But i decided i would put flyers under the wipers of all their parked cars while the seminar is going on. Basicaly say, pursuing a career as a pilot is a big decision, so get all the facts from people within the industry before you pick a flight school. I wouldnt bash SSH in the flyer either.

I keep reading how many helicopters SSH has and I have even seen the red/wht/blue B407 here in E.Tex doing siesmic work. I opened my Robinson News Letter today and low and behold on page 2 and 3 there is a pic of all of SSH's Robinson fleet in one picture at Las Vagas headquarters for a safety meeting. I didn' t count them, but it said 160 helicopters.

Robinson News

I keep reading how many helicopters SSH has and I have even seen the red/wht/blue B407 here in E.Tex doing siesmic work. I opened my Robinson News Letter today and low and behold on page 2 and 3 there is a pic of all of SSH's Robinson fleet in one picture at Las Vagas headquarters for a safety meeting. I didn' t count them, but it said 160 helicopters.

Robinson News

That wasnt the whole fleet

I was thinking of going to it and handing out flyers advertising the forum. You know, so they could get the facts from those of us who know better. That and I have a bone to pick with SSH but thats another matter. lol

Sac,

A word of advice, if you are really thinking about handing out flyers at their seminar, be careful--it's a fine line between information (facts) and libel.

Just a heads-up,

-V5

• 2 weeks later...
Parking lots, wipers...I hate those flyers, but I look to see what annoying $#!* someone puts on my windshield. If it is discussing SSH and they just got done with a seminar...

Sac,

We did the same thing at my airport last month and yes the Silver State goons do exist. We made flyers which did not slander SSH in any way, the flyers just listed other schools in the area. Since that happened they have threatened us with lawsuits and have tried to make it as uncomfortable for us as possible. Even told the general manager of the building we are in that they want us out. What's crazy is we have been at the airport for the last two years and things have been great till they arrived. The night of the seminar some of their goons even threatened the kids helping us with violence.

I am starting a new school in Salem Oregon at the McNary Field (SLE). My only issue is SSH is across the field! Obviously I will have good video camera for my hanger, but has anybody heard of them "messing" with their competition? Just curious, any suggestions would be great! They wont like us because we have a refund policy, ethics and morals and are actually looking out for our students careers and financial well being!

I am starting a new school in Salem Oregon at the McNary Field (SLE). My only issue is SSH is across the field! Obviously I will have good video camera for my hanger, but has anybody heard of them "messing" with their competition? Just curious, any suggestions would be great! They wont like us because we have a refund policy, ethics and morals and are actually looking out for our students careers and financial well being!

Positioning yourselves as the anti-Silver State, huh? That's an interesting marketing approach.

From a student's standpoint though, pay-as-you-go is still the best practice...a refund policy is only as good as the company's cash availability (even SSH has a "refund policy"). And, "ethics and morals and...looking out for our students careers" are noble sentiments but, from what acquaintances have written here, Doug at HSH had all those same attributes. The day-to-day reality of keeping a business afloat has overwhelmed more than a few small business operators with those same values. A student should pay-as-you-fly and everyone will stay financially copasetic.

Exactly. That is why when the student gets financed with Sallie Mae they give us the money and we dont touch a dollar of it until they fly, then we only pull out the exact dollar amount for that hour. The rest stays in the account so if they leave or are having problems, we wont be in the position to come up with the remainder of the cash, thats not a good place for a new company to be in!

Exactly. That is why when the student gets financed with Sallie Mae they give us the money and we dont touch a dollar of it until they fly, then we only pull out the exact dollar amount for that hour. The rest stays in the account so if they leave or are having problems, we wont be in the position to come up with the remainder of the cash, thats not a good place for a new company to be in!

How do schools that use SLM handle the money for a student, by the way? Do they put it in a separate acct in the students name & don't touch it until used? In the schools main acct to use it whenever & the balance in the students acct just represents what the student 'has' (in other words, is it comingled)? Do they put it in an interest bearing acct, or can they?, etc...