Flight Instructor Pay

Flight Instructor Pay  

32 members have voted

1. 1. As a flight instructor how much is your yearly salary?

• $0 - $20,000
    • $20,000 to $25,000
    • $25,000 to $30,000
    • $30,000 to $35,000
    • $35,000 to $40,000
    • More than $40,000
  2. 2. How many hours of flight do you average per week?

• 0-5
    • 5-10
    • 10-15
    • 15-20
    • 20-25
    • More than 25
  3. 3. How many ground traing hours per week?

• 0-10
    • 10-20
    • more than 20
  4. 4. How many total hours of your time per week worked? Include all time spent at work whether billable to the student or not.

• less than 30
    • 30-40
    • 40 - 50
    • more that 50
  5. 5. How much do you make for each hour of flight and ground instruction?

• less than $15
    • $15-$20
    • $20-$25
    • $25-$30
    • $30-$35
    • $35-$40
    • $40-$45
    • $45-$50
    • more than $50

Maybe somebody has already posed this question however I was unable to find it using the search function. I am just curious to know how the pay works for flight instructors out there.

I talk to people that earn $xx.xx for flight and ground instruction and they only fly 40-60 hours per month. How much is this really, in dollars, at the end of the month?

I wish there was a way to poll to see the answers based on the first question. Like, given any salary range; how many hours are in flight, on the ground giving instruction, how many days worked per week, and how many hours spent at work each day?

Some flight schools pay 25 for flight and 20 for ground, some pay equal for both. I ran out of questions at the end so I couldn't seperate them out.

Also, some schools pay for miscellaneous hanger work which helps a little. You may include this if you post a response.

• 1 month later...
I think SKY helicopters in Dallas gives their pilots a salary of around 36k to start.

There is a reason for that. :)

Flight schools don't pay that much without needing to... SSH is the only other school that pays that much...

Flight schools don't pay that much without needing to... SSH is the only other school that pays that much...

Would you please explain this to me about SKY? I realize they are your competition. UND starting pay for instructors is mid to high 30's, I have seen their advertisements in the past.

Thanks

Hi Jehh,

What wrong with SKY? I see them selling job last month and think I may apply. But if something is bad with them,I do not want to go. You work for another school in Texas, Yes? How much do they pay you (if you do not mind me asking)?

Mechanic,

who is UND? Where abouts are they?

More money is better, Yes?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I did my training at Sky. It is a first rate operation run out of a heliport in the huge metropolitan area. In my opinion, it is one of the best instructor jobs you could get based on the number of hours they fly, not just instruction but tours and news as well. The salary is higher because they rarely hire low time pilots. They take the highest hour, best qualified pilots they can find.

If you have a different story, I would be interested to hear it.

Edited by TXFirefly

Its interesting that this topic was dormant for almost five years and then a fellow chimes in. I have like 18 instructors and we pay $20/hour and we pay worker's compensation insurance, too, to our cfi's. They all get a credit card to pay for some travel expenses and fuel, etc. We hire low time pilots that meet our qualifications of 100 hours on our boat photo flying, cfi and 300 hours in helicopters. It's nice that the previous poster was happy with his school and it's great that they "rarely hire low time pilots" but I think most of the people on this forum are sort of looking for jobs and have low time or otherwise they would be on the other forum? If the school only hires the high time pilots what do they offer the new cfi's? I think our pilots get the most hours and compensation (which is a product of the hours and wage) and I know I once flew 168 hours myself. We fly a lot in the summer and we go to cool boating places.

Its interesting that this topic was dormant for almost five years and then a fellow chimes in. I have like 18 instructors and we pay $20/hour and we pay worker's compensation insurance, too, to our cfi's. They all get a credit card to pay for some travel expenses and fuel, etc. We hire low time pilots that meet our qualifications of 100 hours on our boat photo flying, cfi and 300 hours in helicopters. It's nice that the previous poster was happy with his school and it's great that they "rarely hire low time pilots" but I think most of the people on this forum are sort of looking for jobs and have low time or otherwise they would be on the other forum? If the school only hires the high time pilots what do they offer the new cfi's? I think our pilots get the most hours and compensation (which is a product of the hours and wage) and I know I once flew 168 hours myself. We fly a lot in the summer and we go to cool boating places.

Hooray for boatpix! <_<

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...