Fl. Tampabay area.

Are there any law enforcement agencies that will sponsor helicopter flight training? I'm from the Tampabay area and I know of two agencies that are sponsoring the police academy training. Since they are sponsoring police training, I was wandering if they would also pay for initial flight training? I am wanting to change careers to fly helicopters for a living and I'm considering becoming a local law enforcement officer. I am 32 years old, married, I have two kids, and I'm in college full time. How many years would I have to work as a patrol officer before I could transfer into the aviation unit? Any information that you can give me I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

Thomas

Are there any law enforcement agencies that will sponsor helicopter flight training? I'm from the Tampabay area and I know of two agencies that are sponsoring the police academy training. Since they are sponsoring police training, I was wandering if they would also pay for initial flight training? I am wanting to change careers to fly helicopters for a living and I'm considering becoming a local law enforcement officer. I am 32 years old, married, I have two kids, and I'm in college full time. How many years would I have to work as a patrol officer before I could transfer into the aviation unit? Any information that you can give me I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

Thomas

Many local agencies will pay for your training. Mine did. I got a PPl, CPL and Instrument rating on their dime. The problem is, how many years are you willing to bide your time in patrol or some other assignment waiting for the Air Support spot to open up. I was a cop almost 14 years before it happened. Believe me, well worth it, but the spots don't come open often enough to be able to plan a real time frame. You just have to get on the job, show interest in the aviation unit and stay involved with the unit in some capacity, so you are in a good position when a spot does come available. We have part time Flight Officers who work other full time assignments and fill shifts for us as needed. That is a fairly common practice. I did it for almost 7 years before I got the full-time spot.

• 2 months later...
Many local agencies will pay for your training. Mine did. I got a PPl, CPL and Instrument rating on their dime. The problem is, how many years are you willing to bide your time in patrol or some other assignment waiting for the Air Support spot to open up. I was a cop almost 14 years before it happened. Believe me, well worth it, but the spots don't come open often enough to be able to plan a real time frame. You just have to get on the job, show interest in the aviation unit and stay involved with the unit in some capacity, so you are in a good position when a spot does come available. We have part time Flight Officers who work other full time assignments and fill shifts for us as needed. That is a fairly common practice. I did it for almost 7 years before I got the full-time spot.

Sounds like you made out very well. Your department sounds committed. I started out having my training paid for until the the county cut our budget. I left and trained full time and hope to go back eventually once I finish my CFII rating. Hopefully some department will take accept my seven years on.

Edited by Voyager11