Flying tense - relaxation techniques

There have been a few occassion where my instructor said "Relax" when I didn't think I was tense.

Today was a one of those. Normal morning, good attitude, took off for another airport to do a manuever flight. I did 2 poor normal approaches in a row (a manuever that I have nailed down a long time ago). He said I was tense on the controls, and to relax. I SWEAR I was not tense. We did a steep approach and I paid attention to my body...seemed ok to me. Instructor said no, I'm tense.

I just don't get it. How can I be tense on the controls when I hold the cyclic with my thumb and forefinger....so no WAY can I "death grip" it. The collective I was barely supporting with my middle finger...maybe a bit of thumb to lower.

Pedals..well maybe. My feet sometimes don't listent to me, so I'll give him that.

Anyone else notice this "phenomenon"? I admit to having days when I KNOW I was tense, but the ones that I can't see it just baffle me.

So I tried a few relaxation techniques on the downwind....breathing deeply, clearning my mind. Seemed to work...I did an awesome steep approach, then my best running T/O ever (barely noticed the set-down...'sept for the grinding noise!).

Anyone have advise for relaxation techniques?

This is starting to irritate me. I want to be relaxed and not get lectured about being tense when I have no realization that I AM tense.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only one that knows if you are actually tense is you. It could be that your CFI knows that you can handle these maneuvers and attributes the mistakes on your approach to you being tense. It could be that you got distracted, were thinking about something else, were more tense then you were aware or (more then likely) just miscalculated the approach based on site picture.

I had an instructor tell me that the more times you see an approach, the more pictures of approaches you have in your mind. The more pictures you have, the quicker you spot mistakes and can correct for them. I wouldn't key in to the term tense, just know in your own mind that you need some more looks at it. And if it gets on your nerves, just laugh and say "Im not tense man, I just flat out missed it! I wish I had a better excuse." Remember to take it all in stride, and keep it light hearted. Its suppose to be fun, remember! :P

Well, I'm pretty sure he's right, actually. The guy's fricking smart and on it...and is amazing at reading people.

Believe me when I say we DO keep it light hearted. We have alot of fun. Every flight is a blast. Even bad flights are still a blast.

I'm just annoyed at the "tense" conversations because I don't see it. I will admit that my back was more sore than normal, so maybe my whole body carriage was messed up. But I do truly believe him, and I told him that as I admitted I didn't see it. May be in the back of my brain? Subliminal? Dunno. But relaxation technicques would be interesting and just good to know.

Just relax man! :D

Ok... It is very difficult for anyone to know what is making you nervous. My experience has been that as a student gets better at the tasks, they get more comfortable overall. Now with that being said, if the nervousness is coming from another factor, i.e. the risk involved in flying, then it gets more complicated. The phrase, "just relax" usually won't help anyone relax. When I was training rookie police officers, I used several techniques to get the nerves back. Each person is different on which ones to use, and how to apply them. Try talking to your cfi more about it.

Make sure you are breathing. When I first starting flying I noticed that when my flying went to crap it was because I was trying to hover while suffocating myself. Breathe normally and hold the T-bar with two fingers, "dont choke the chicken" as the ex Uh-1 nam pilot told me! Breather, two fingers, eyes outside, talk some b.s with your CFI.

SCREAM !!!

Really, try a primordial scream before cranking the engine. Not only does it relieve tension from the body, but gives the added benefit of scaring your instructor. Quite amusing.

Try singing while on approach. It'll take your mind off of concentrating on the task and let you relax a little more. Experience has shown me that if one concentrates on a task, one tends to make mistakes. Try the "auto pilot" in you and that may help a little.

Finally, you're not obligated to do anything. If the approach looks poor, go around. There's nothing that says you have to land on the first try, so don't. A couple weeks ago, I was going to fly to Albany to shoot patterns. My passenger never showed up, so I offered a ride to an SSH transplant from Dallas who was finishing up his CFI. Well, the first approach was a little long, but OK The next was a steep approach that went bad, so I went around and tried again-with success.

You don't have to do anything that looks bad-approach, landing, or wearing a flightsuit and helmet-like I do.

Have fun for crying out loud. Be happy you're flying/

Later

SCREAM !!!

Really, try a primordial scream before cranking the engine. Not only does it relieve tension from the body, but gives the added benefit of scaring your instructor. Quite amusing.

Try singing while on approach. It'll take your mind off of concentrating on the task and let you relax a little more. Experience has shown me that if one concentrates on a task, one tends to make mistakes. Try the "auto pilot" in you and that may help a little.

Finally, you're not obligated to do anything. If the approach looks poor, go around. There's nothing that says you have to land on the first try, so don't. A couple weeks ago, I was going to fly to Albany to shoot patterns. My passenger never showed up, so I offered a ride to an SSH transplant from Dallas who was finishing up his CFI. Well, the first approach was a little long, but OK The next was a steep approach that went bad, so I went around and tried again-with success.

You don't have to do anything that looks bad-approach, landing, or wearing a flightsuit and helmet-like I do.

Have fun for crying out loud. Be happy you're flying/

Later

See, this is where the frustration lies. I AM having a blast, I have a smile on my face, and we are totally BS'ing. But you may have a point....I may be concentrating too hard. Admittedly, we had a heck of a right quartering HW, my hovers, which are normally pretty solid, were all over the place.

Screaming...I like that idea. I'll let yah know if I can get him to pee is flight suit. That'd be an interesting trip home.

And NOTHING makes me happier than flying.

My biggest problem with my approaches is I pull too much aft. I end up flaring at the end..not a huge flare, but skids are not level. Frustrating. I now am very aware of it, but I still seem to do it anyway, even when I pay attention to NOT do it. Brain is kinda stubborn, I guess. Sheeeeeesh.

My biggest problem with my approaches is I pull too much aft. I end up flaring at the end..not a huge flare, but skids are not level. Frustrating. I now am very aware of it, but I still seem to do it anyway, even when I pay attention to NOT do it. Brain is kinda stubborn, I guess. Sheeeeeesh.

Forward and down, forward and down, forward and down....

Lemme clarify...normal approach to a hover. :blink:

I KNOW how to execute the manuever...but I keep inadvertently pulling aft a tad just as I get to my hover. CFI says it's a common mistake and it is tough to get past.

tattooed- I know it doesnt help much, but somewhere around the 90 or maybe 100 hour mark, you do relax. You can actually breathe, talk, listen to the radio and fly all at the same time. Couple tips I can remember doing is rest your R arm on your knee...so you hold the cyclic steady and easy. Take your left thumb and plant it on your seat somewhere, maybe under your left thigh, and then just cradle the collective. The throttle rolls around nicely, and you can make some really small collective adjustments when you are not moving your entire shoulder, arm and hand. As far as the pedals, how tall are you? I have seen where smaller pilots cant really rest their heels on the floor...they have their legs extended fully almost all the time (I can't relate at 6-5...I have the opposite problem !)..sometimes a pillow helps get you there...or just wait until you start flying bigger ships that have adjustable pedals !

Good luck out there,

Goldy

Try to make a mental note about where you are looking. You've probably heard it a hundred times by now, but don't look at your spot. I go through this with my students. Some who fly VERY well, but occasionally I feel them being tense also and they don't think they are. It has to do with the fluid-ness of the movements I think, if that makes sense. Maybe you've also heard the term "stirring the pot" if you make lots of small cyclic inputs on approach. Pulling aft cyclic coming into the hover could also be from unknowingly looking at your spot. Remember what happens when you raise the collective? The nose comes up on it's own, right? If your normal approach is smooth and slow, you almost need a tad of forward cyclic to smooth it out over the top of your spot, remember it should fall just below you.

Goldy may also be right about the pedals, since you may be a little "vertically challenged" ;)

And with time, the nervous and tense feeling goes away. Somewhere in your commercial or CFI, you'll feel right at home and start to do things much more natural.

Edited by choppedair

I can certainly relate to the yaw issues. I don't start rotary until Saturday, but on the fixed wing side the first 15 hours I had no where near enough right rudder.

"More right rudder...more right rudder...yeah thats still no where near enough. Mash it! THERE YA GO!"

God Im having flashbacks just thinking about it. <mumbling>stupid rudder. </mumbling>

Now the joy will be it needs LEFT peddle in the 300. Cant wait to unlearn and relearn lol. Is it Saturday yet????

As far as the pedals, how tall are you? I have seen where smaller pilots cant really rest their heels on the floor...they have their legs extended fully almost all the time (I can't relate at 6-5...I have the opposite problem !)..sometimes a pillow helps get you there...or just wait until you start flying bigger ships that have adjustable pedals !

Good luck out there,

Goldy

Yeeeahhh... I'm 4 foot 11. I have to have a pillow so I can reach the pedals.. Even in the R44 I still have to use it, because even though I can reach it in the R44.. even after adjusting it, I can't full extend the pedals. With the stupid pillow I can.

My instructor is able to tell when I'm tensing up either when 1) I grip the cyclic tightly enough for him to feel it on his side (I normally don't realize I'm doing it) or 2) when I can't seem to fly in trim. What we've done is add two verbal call outs to our checklists. One is "death grip off" where I stretch out my fingers to make sure myhand is light on the handle; the other is "feet stop fighting" - I tend to have a heavy right foot and it like to bully my left foot.... so I threaten to let the kittens attack it when I get home. Seems to do the trick for the most part. The other time I get really tense is when I'm tired - I go for instruction after working an 8 hour day. The vending machine in the hangar carries Monster which seems to do the trick for me ;-)

As far as sudddendly getting tense over something you were able to do weeks ago, my pop-pysch explanation is that weeks ago, you were working hard at being able to do it *at all*. So, when you succeeded, you feel good about it. Now, you're more worried about doing it *right*, which is an added level of skill you're working toward.

Edited by SquirrelFlight

Lo those many years ago when I was learning to fly, I thought I was relaxed, but when I got out of the TH55 I had the checkering of the cyclic permanently embossed in the palm of my glove. It took time to relax, and I don't know a way to force it. With me, it just took time to get comfortable in the aircraft. Even now I can feel myself tense up under the right conditions.

Thanks folks. Lots of good information. Yes, I am "vertically challenged". I'm 5'0". I invested in a robinson cushion and it's really helped me be consistent in my reach of the pedals.

No worries with cyclic grip, I barely 2-finger it...but I do get told "No mixing bowl", or as I call it, "Making biscuits".

Goldy - No, I cannot rest my arm on my leg. I have SHORT freakin' arms and unless I lean forward, my elbow is no where near my thigh. We've tried various hand/arm positions, and I have found what I am comfortable with. Same goes with collective (which, in fact, to get the collective all the way down, I have to lean to the left. I once got stuck to my instructor...his velcro was exposed on his R shoulder, and when I straightened up, "riiiiippppppp". I've heard about being attached to your instructor, but Shhhheeeeeeesh! :lol:

The more I think about it, I think it's a combination of my whole posture being a bit tense, my feet being tense, and too much concentration.

Stop "making biscuits"

Relax feet.

Do the maneuver like I was taught.

No worries.

I am not "nervous" or scared. Not at all. I enjoy flying, but here's MY problem. I'm a perfectionist. I expect alot of myself, and I definately do concentrate too hard. That has got to be it. I get mad at myself when I don't do a maneuver to MY expectations...to the level that I have done it and know I can do it. I beat myself up. I know, I know, stop it. Yes, keep telling me that! LOL

I'm only at 40 hours, so this is just the begining. It can only get better, right?

I am having the time of my life. This entire experience has been amazing. I love every minute....from the flying, to ground (yes, I enjoy ground), to hanging with folks like choppedair in the lounge, yah'll here on the forum..... I have met some amazing people, and I'm making new friends every day. I am so in my element.

I try and take every step, every issue, everything as a positive learning experience. I consider myself a happy, outgoing, positive person, willing to talk to and share with everyone.

So, I ask again....anyone have any of their own personal relaxtion techniques to share? Breathing, thoughts, medications (just kidding)....

sandy

Breathing, definitely. Concentrate on relaxing whatever limb, until it feels heavy. If you're doing something that's not going well: stop, pull back, mentally "shake it out" and try it a little bit different- lower, higher, slightly different angle of approach.

Try to BE the helicopter, then strive to do everything as gently and slowly as possible. If you often have problems with lifting, break it down into steps with the idea of being able to hold each, motionless- light on the skids, left toe up (AStar), left heel up, right toe, and then a vertical ascent. Sounds like a lot of work, and it takes skill to do well, but it's an exercise that develops the skill quickly. Plus if you ARE the helicopter you think beyond what is, now, to what you're doing, and next, which means less reactive, thus less stress and more relaxed.

Hey Tatooed,

I agree with everyone on the breathing, and it sucks that you can't get your cyclic hand on your leg because that really helps a lot. Definitely try to keep your hand low and relax your shoulder and back. Wiggle your toes, move your heels back a bit, and slow down. Not in your flying, but just take one second for a deep breath between maneuvers to sort of reset your brain. I find that if I'm really trying to get a lot in and not pausing for a good breath between turns in the pattern, my brain gets overloaded.

Get enough sleep, eat a good breakfast, and try not to get annoyed when your instructor says "Relax" for the 100th time. ;) More time flying and you will definitely loosen up.

HVG

When I fly tomorrow, I'm gonna try calling out my #'s. Maybe that'll help me breath. I noticed yesterday at work I was holding my breath while setting an IV catheter. I'm a vet tech with 12+ years of experience, so I've set HUNDREDS of catheters....why was I holding my breath? Probably concentration. I bet I'm doing it during my flights and not aware of it. Has nothing to do with nerves, but concentration level.

So, calling out numbers and talking should fix that, right?

I'll let yah'll know.

This topic sure has got me thinking and analyzing. Thanks, everyone!

Hi Sandy,

Before a flight (especially a checkride) I like to meditate. I just concentrate on one thing "Breathe". I put every other thought out of my mind. That helps a lot for me. Also during the flight if I'm feeling tense I will occasionally take deep breaths. During my private checkride I kept screwing up the autos, the DPE gave me one more chance after saying "Gee that auto sucked, we would have definitely died there". lol

So I just took some deep breaths, reminded myself I've done a ton of Autos and I know how to do them, and stopped concentrating so much. It was the best auto I've ever done, right on the spot. The DPE said he couldn't have done it better. This probably doesn't work for everyone but I encourage you to try it like others have said.

Also as far as being too tight on the cyclic, I don't know for sure what your CFI would think... but I've heard of a method of having the student weave a pencil in between their fingers so that they can't grip the cyclic too hard. I guess this wouldn't work for you though since you don't use your whole hand.

Bottom line: Trust your training, be in the moment and don't concentrate too hard. I'm a perfectionist as well and you've got to fight the automatic concentration that occurs (to a point of course).

Don't worry, you'll get it!

-Jeff

Hey Sandy, just remembered I've known of gal pilots using an arm cushion to get that oh-so-elusive extra stability. It's just a curved cushion that fits your leg and your arm, kinda pads up your leg so your arm can meet it... dunno how much extraneous crap you want with you but I've been told it seriously reduces arm strain and fatigue factor, esp when you get into long commercial flights down the road. Then again, you wanna go career cfi so maybe doesn't matter....might be worth a try though!! I don't need a cushion to reach the pedals and my arm meets my leg (by what miracle I don't know, I am routinely labeled an 'elfin' sized pilot, though not by your standards I know!!), but I took a cushion out with me one day to see if it would boost my back up so I could see the timer over the cyclic (damn holds) and although it didn't make a difference there, it was so squishy-comfy I take it out every instr flight now! heehee

Anyway, just a thought. :D

Just a thought here but maybe your instructor is wrong. It's possible that he may be seeing something that is normal but he just doesn't realize it. Reason I say it is this, I had an instructor once start pointing out stuff and I didn't see what he was talking about. I asked him specifically what he was talking about, then when he would fly I would watch him, and sure enough he was doing the exact same thing but he didn't realize it. I may get ripped apart here, but CFI's are not perfect and sometimes you just have to ignore them on certain things. After I realized he was doing the exact same thing that he was complaining that I was doing I would just let it go in one ear and out the other whenever he said it.

Just realize that you are a 40 hour pilot, not an 800 hour pilot so of course your not going to be perfect flying. It will come with time.

OK, That's your first mistake-beating yourself up. QUIT IT!!!

Beating yoursefl up because you aren't performing to a level you expect is counterproductive. So what if you're not flying like Stringfellow Hawke? iprevenge.jpg Fly like Sandy and stop trying to be a perfectionist. Perfection may work for Donald Trump, but you're not Donald Trump. Stop trying to be Donald Trump.

So what about the flare? So what? We all have flared. Some of us still flare. So WHAT? Flaring is good. Flaring is wonderful. Flaring is something we all outgrow. So will you. At this point, don't worry about it. You'll outgrow it soon.

I don't mean to be fraking harsh. I want you to succeed. I want you to be a great pilot. I want you to be the best you can be.cap002.jpg

You'll get there one day, sooner than you think.

In the meantime, try a different approach and try a different instructor for a few flights.

Gotta go, Waterworld is on. Dennis Hopper rocks.

Later