Jump to content


VR Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


crashed_05 last won the day on February 20 2017

crashed_05 had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

43 Excellent

About crashed_05

  • Rank
    VR Veteran Poster

Previous Fields

  • Company working for
    Leading Edge Aviation, Inc. ATP, Gold Seal CFII, MEI, IGI, AGI, & A&P

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Bend, OR

Recent Profile Visitors

386 profile views
  1. "VA offers flight training benefits to those who want to advance their pilot qualifications. You must have a private pilots license and valid medical certification before you start training. Payments are issued after the training is completed and the school submits your enrollment information to VA. Type of Assistance Flight training is available for the following and other types of qualifications: Rotary wingB747-400Dual engineFlight engineerPayment Amounts Under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Payments for flight training vary based on which type of flight training course and what kind of school you are enrolled in: If you are enrolled in a degree program that consists of flight training at a public institution of higher education you can be reimbursed up to the public school in-state cost of the training and receive a monthly housing allowance and books-and-supplies stipend.If you are enrolled in a degree program that consists of flight training at a private institution of higher education you can be reimbursed up to the full cost of the training or the national maximum (currently $19,198.31) per academic year, whichever is less. You may also receive a monthly housing allowance and books-and-supplies stipend. See if your school participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, which may apply for those enrolled in degree programs.If you are enrolled in a vocational flight training program you can be reimbursed the lesser of these two costs in effect the day you began training in your flight courseFull cost of training Annual maximum amount of training (see annual maximum amount)You will not receive a housing allowance or the books-and-supplies stipend. The maximum amount available for reimbursement depends on the academic year you begin training." https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/flight_training.asp
  2. I second the ALEA website. If you have a membership, you can search their database with every aviation law enforcement agency with an aviation unit.
  3. Hi, there. I was in your shoes when I was deciding if I wanted to get out of the Marine Corps in 2008. I found my flight school and went to COCC based off of information I got from folks on this site. I got my A&P, paid for airplane private out of pocket, then the GI Bill got all my ratings on the helicopter and airplane side as well as most of my bachelor degree out of the way. It's a competitive industry. I've seen vets go through the program who slacked off, only using the benefits to fly because it was "cool". There's also the vets who work hard and are serious about their career. Be the latter. Otherwise you're just wasting the benefits and will be left without a career. Having an A&P cert helps. It helps the company when something breaks and they don't have to send out a separate mechanic to fix the aircraft. Best of luck to you. You can message me if you have any specific questions. ...By the way, this is just my experience and the decision that I made. Before I got out of the military, I made myself a pro/cons list to determine what I wanted and how I'd achieve it. For some, the answer might be to stay in the military and become an officer/pilot that way. There's a lot of possibilities and routes to take.
  4. The thin cloud layer didn't concern me as much as flying near the prescribed burn/wildfire. If a fire is in question, it should be reported from a distance. You never know if and how many aircraft are operating around the fire, whether a TFR is up or not.
  5. I've known a few colorblind pilots in the past and learned of some ways to distinguish airspace on a chart without using the colors. For example, Class E and D airspace...Class D will have the upper limit of the airspace charted within the airspace circle, along with the CT Frequency...class E will not...unless you happen to have a Class E with a control tower.
  6. This is an exception to the night time requirement for ATP in the FARs. Part 61.159( b ) I would actually see this as an issue for civilian pilots meeting the night minimums, depending on your line of work. I recall all of our pilots and aircrew being very night current; at least in the Marine Corps.
  7. If requested, the FAA can issue a Letter of Deviation Authority for rotorcraft with a maximum gross weight of not more than 2,950 pounds. The op specs will contain a limitation of no NVG operations and a pilot training program which must incorporate whiteout, brownout, and flat-light conditions.
  8. I was just on Erickson Incorporated website and they have an opening for a helicopter load master. Might be another company to keep an eye on. I'm not sure how much flying you would actually do though. There are many companies out there that require field mechanics, but again, not a lot of flying. Billings Flying Service has 234s (H-47) and Sky Aviation has some H-46s. Good luck.
  9. I cannot answer your exact questions, but in many cases, manned helicopters are being converted to unmanned or optionally piloted aircraft. The newer MQ-8C used by the Navy is a Bell 407 converted to an unmanned machine. The K-MAX is another manned helicopter made into a a remotely-piloted aircraft. These aircraft are capable of lifting just as much or more than their manned versions (weight of pilot replaced with more fuel or more cargo/payload) and completely capable of selecting a clear landing zone all on their own. <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FzqMeAaOIYI"frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AaG2EDPVBqc"frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  10. Collisions--The FAA does have numerous regulations in reducing the risk of mid-air collisions. These include flying certain altitudes depending on whether you're flying on a easterly or westerly heading, standardized traffic patterns at airports, ATC transponder and radio communication requirements, differing levels of ATC aircraft separation depending on how busy the airspace is, etc. Even with all of this, pilots are required to "see-and-avoid" other aircraft and there's a whole standard set of right-of-way rules that go along with that as well. Mid-air collisions do happen, but are very rare and you're still more likely to be involved in a traffic accident in a car. Bad weather--Thunderstorms are extremely dangerous and if there is one in close proximity, we don't fly. You'll learn about weather as part of your training and as you do, you'll learn how to check the weather, avoid it, and stay safe. The more common weather related issue in aviation is getting yourself into poor or zero visibility, leading to disorientation. Avoiding situations like these is all about good preflight planning and even better decision making skills...all covered in training, so pay attention during your ground lessons. Mechanical issues--Again, emergency procedures training is covered in your training. Practice makes perfect and you'll be flying with a more experienced instructor who won't sign you off to fly by yourself until he's confident you won't be a hazard to yourself or others. With all of the areas of concern you have listed, it is important to do some research and seek out a reputable flight training facility where you'll be confident that they will teach you how to identify and mitigate these risks in flying. I myself ended up moving to the other side of the country to attend a good flight school, and I ended up being glad that I did. Good luck on your endeavor.
  11. This will be great motivation for some students to not take 100 hrs to get their private certificate...and not do it in Jet Rangers.
  12. I don't get much night time anymore flying fires, but I do enjoy it; especially on goggles. To anyone just starting out in this industry, take advantage of any night time (and instrument) you can get while you can. It becomes quite valuable later on.
  13. Get yourself a copy of the Helicopter Instrument Practical Test Standards. Somewhere in the introduction is a list of a ton of references from which you can study. A good starting point is the FAR/AIM (IFR specific rules begin in 91.167 and the AIM Ch.5 is great for IFR procedures). The Instrument Flying Handbook that helonorth suggested above is also a good book for a head start. Don't let your VFR knowledge go out the window. It's just as important for instrument flying as VFR. Study, study, study!! The more you know about IFR flying, the more exciting it is. I love it!
  14. I'm not worried about 3 t/o landings. Depending on the employer, some may require that you've flown so many hours in helicopters commercially in the last 12 months.
  • Create New...