Jump to content

Mountain Marauder

  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Mountain Marauder last won the day on February 19

Mountain Marauder had the most liked content!

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

Mountain Marauder's Achievements


Apprentice (3/14)

  • First Post
  • Collaborator Rare
  • Week One Done
  • One Month Later

Recent Badges



  1. A lot of times that sort of thing shows up on eBay and Craig's List as well as other similar sites. Just plug in the name of the Company and search.
  2. Looks like cost is a big factor rovers14. I'd recommend getting a PPL fixed wing and CPL as well then do a helicopter add-on CPL. I did it that way with the GI Bill and stretched the benefits a lot further. We also had to have a PPL to qualify back in the 70's. Another option is to buy a Cessna 150 (in the $20-25K range) and find an instructor to do your PPL then log as much time as you can towards your CPL with it and sell the C-150 when you start your VA CPL. You might decide to keep it too.
  3. It was done on the Bell 47 but they used the 900 Series transmission which was rated for a much higher HP than the earlier 600 Series transmissions. I'm not that familiar with the part number differences on the 12B/C vs the 12E but I would guess the 12D and 12E are rated for more HP. Also not sure if the adapter for the C-18/20's would work on the 12B/C transmissions. I can't come up with an explanation on the tail rotor position but if it is a factor it might be possible to just put a 12E tail rotor on it. Unless you have big bucks for a STC it's going to end up in Experimental-Exhibition category.
  4. Just curious but how would the Feds even go about enforcing this reg? Would they even care to enforce?
  5. Yes, I suppose one would have to do ratios for an accurate comparison.
  6. Look at the NTSB fatal accident reports for both then make your decision.
  7. Shredding threads is a common problem on forums these days. However one helicopter you might consider is the Alouette II. The rear seats fold up and it's performance is more than adequate for what you are asking. For what you are suggesting I doubt anyone is going to charge you when rendering emergency assistance. Just keep in mind that you can't charge for your service or attempt any type of compensation. If you need any info on the Alouette, PM me and I'll be happy to provide you with what I have.
  8. With the whole industry in chaos right now it's difficult to project short term what you can attain but when it does recover there is going to be huge demand for qualified pilots (ATP-MEL with 1500 hours) so if you start on this path and enjoy it I'd say go for it! One caveat is your age which will probably keep you from being hired by the Majors but the Commuter airlines will be in a vacuum when the majors start hiring their pilots away so you most likely will have a home with a commuter and move up the ranks quickly as their pilots leave. Also there most likely will be opportunities in the Corporate sector. A lot of what's available will be dependent on the type of flying you enjoy most. Most commuter flying can be taxing even for 20 and 30 year old pilots (short layovers, crappy hotels, etc.) and Corporate jobs have a lot of "be ready" to be called at a moments notice. If you enjoy instructing you will probably be home every night. If you're seeking a flying job in the helicopter market there are others here that will have a better perspective of the potential opportunities. My comments were about the fixed wing market.
  9. It's just another Government sponsored racket. The FAA is supposed to do those inspections at no cost but pull the DAR deal because they don't have the "resources" to do it. And DAR's can charge for their services. I got the same request from my assigned DAR and told him I'd do it myself. It took some time but wasn't that difficult. Just find a copy of an AIP that was submitted for a helicopter similar to yours and customize it to your helicopter. They will play games with you by rejecting it for various reasons so you will have to make corrections and resubmit it probably more than once. Playing the game will save you money but maybe not frustration.
  10. A good place to start might be the NTSB accident reports. I believe you can enter the N-number. Normally the registration wouldn't be cancelled unless it ended up in a deceased estate or crashed and thus not renewed. One other possibility is that if the AW Cert was surrendered and the aircraft was exported. Contacting the FAA might give some guidance on following up on that.
  11. I haven't done it but if it's just a test on the FAA regulations. You can review that by looking up FAR 61 and 91. That will cover most of the regulations. Try calling the FAA - sometimes they actually answer the phone.
  12. That A1F engine will give you more power than you need unless you live up around 10,000'. Remember the transmission on the G-2 is rated for 200 HP and the A1F has 260 HP so you have the capability to use that extra HP to compensate for DA. I don't have a POH for the G-2 but the loaded CG (pilot, pax and fuel) is almost directly under the mast. On some G-2's the battery (if it's located aft of the engine) can be moved fore and aft to compensate for a typical nose heavy or tail heavy loading. I doubt if you'll have any CG issues if the EWCG is near mid limits.
  13. The G-2 will work fine. It's a lighter empty weight and an excellent performer. May as well start saving money now. Once you get hooked on helicopters you're going to want one. Have fun and good luck!
  14. Speaking from experience I would venture that the odds of one of the residents complaining are pretty high. That can lead to the local police getting calls and responding. In some cases depending on local ordinances (noise, disturbing the peace, etc.) they can issue citations and it all goes downhill from there. You may get lucky and everybody will enjoy the novelty.
  15. If you want to fly it you'll need an A&P mechanic to do a Condition Inspection and sign it off if it's airworthy. The tail rotor drive belts are probably going to be changed out with new ones if it's been sitting for some years. Once that's done find a licensed instructor to teach you how to fly it and you will have to get your Private Rotorcraft Helicopter FAA license to fly it. You can look up the requirements on the FAA.GOV website. The Scorpion was the forerunner to Rotorway's Exec series with an aluminum tube type tailboom and I believe they used a driveshaft for the tail rotor in lieu of the drive belts. They went on to improve on the Exec with the 152 and 162 models all of which are different from the original Scorpion. If you learn to hover the Scorpion you won't have any trouble with most any other helicopter.
  • Create New...