R44 with HAM/FM Package

Hey Everyone -

I am (still) in the process of upgrading my R44 (http://richard.sears.net - for those that have not seen it yet) and I have added a Ham Radio, something that Robinson offers from the factory. I decided against the 8800 which is generally what they install and went with a D-STAR capable Icom ID-800.

In the process, we had yet to decide on an antenna or placement of the antenna so we gave Robinson a call to find out what they use on their ships. They refused to tell us letting us know that was not information that they felt it necessary to give out since they did not approve of the ham radio installation outside of factory installed. The person we were talking too told us that it had "come from the top" that he should not give us the information.

It always amazes me in dealing with them sometimes, but hey - what can you do?

The parts manual shows what looks like a larson antenna, but I cannot be sure so I figured I would reach out to everyone and see if anyone if flying a "factory approved" ham/fm installation that could tell me the location of the antenna and maybe the manufacturer of the antenna.

Thanks !!

The parts manual shows what looks like a larson antenna, but I cannot be sure so I figured I would reach out to everyone and see if anyone if flying a "factory approved" ham/fm installation that could tell me the location of the antenna and maybe the manufacturer of the antenna.

Thanks !!

HJ,

I know of a ship that had the dual bander installed new at the factory, the initial antenna was an AM aircraft band antenna. It was found that the antenna (Dornan Margolin)had an internal matching network that essentially made it a dummy load at UHF and not much better on 2 meters. Robinson reengineered the antenna by replacing it with their P/N 3001 ELT antenna tuned up to 2 meters.

The retuned ELT antenna works fine on two meters but, I think using it as a dual band antenna is bad engineering practice. I have two separate TSOed antennas mounted on the belly plate, one for 70 cm and the other for two meters. The cables terminate in bulkhead SMA connectors mounted out the top of the Aux power panel, they are easily accessible by passengers or pilot. My kids like to use their hand helds to talk to their friends.

Mike KM7MH