Relate your driving skills to your flying skills.

I was just wondering if you guys ever find yourself on the bored side when driving. Or are you always 100% focused like you should be when flying a helicopter. Any fender benders, speeding tickets, or just plain total your car? (none of these apply to me yet, knock on wood) Thanks in advance.

I was just wondering if you guys ever find yourself on the bored side when driving. Or are you always 100% focused like you should be when flying a helicopter. Any fender benders, speeding tickets, or just plain total your car? (none of these apply to me yet, knock on wood) Thanks in advance.

When I back up my car, I just keep going until I feel a bump. When I back up the helicopter, I do the same thing. You can usually tell when your tail hits something by watching your main rotor RPM droop. Then just ease her forward a bit.

You really have to watch your speed though. You are limited to 250 knots below 10,000 feet...its pretty easy to exceed that if you really push the cyclic forward.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Umm...you know I'm kidding, right ?

Yes, Gomer, more useless posts.

Does yelling clear before you turn the key count? I actually had a statistic a while ago that showed pilots are inherently bad drivers. I found it when I was laughing because I was flying a 5 million dollar helicopter but yet was not old enough to rent a car.

Does yelling clear before you turn the key count? I actually had a statistic a while ago that showed pilots are inherently bad drivers. I found it when I was laughing because I was flying a 5 million dollar helicopter but yet was not old enough to rent a car.

I ran into this problem a while ago(I'm old enough now), I laughed in the rental car peoples face. Back in my fixed wing days we flew a King Air into Rapid City, SD and blew a tire (Yeah, only damage done by flying "into" the city, haha). But when we tried to rent a car for the night since the plane wasn't going to get fixed until morning, the rental guy said, "I'm sorry your under age." My partner (also "under age") and I looked at each other and came back with, "Are you kidding? We can fly a 2.5million dollar airplane into thunderstorms but we can't rent a car for 10 hours!" The look on the rental guys face was awsome. We did finally get a car, the FBO let us borrow their courtesy car since they figured nobody would need it over the night.